Sensei Coyle (Koyo)'s Memorial

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by makotokai, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Raven001

Raven001 New Member

RIP Koyo

2. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

A sad day indeed, Koyo could always be counted on to have great advice for anyone who asked, and never hesitated to answer anybodies questions. His posts showed him to be a true gentlemen, and all the responses to this news here shows how much of an effect he had on people here.

RIP Coyle Sensei and my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Regards
    Boards

3. RIP Koyo.
    A great loss.

4. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

I've just seen the news. I'm absolutely gutted.

Koyo has been a true inspiration to me from day one of my Aikido career. I have spent many hours going through all his threads and posts learning all I could from a man who had dedicated his life to Martial Arts.

We are incredible lucky to have a place like this where Koyo's words, wisdom and advice can be preserved.

He seemed like a truely great man and I regret that I'll never be able to meet and train with him

Rest In Peace Sensei

Osu!

5. embra

embra Valued Member

Among the many memories that we attribute to koyo, one fairly unique aspect comes through in his posts, namely that he was obviously a fellow of social conscience who cared and bothered about other people - and in particular those not so fortunate in life.

In this day and age, where materialism, ego and self-interest abounds; being concerned for the well-being of those less fortunate is a trait rare in most of us - koyo had this in bucket-fulls.

6. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'll be carrying a quote from Koyo in my sig here, to pay homage to him.

If anyone else wants to do the same, feel free to join in.

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Sensei Bill Coyle.

R.I.P.

MAP will not be the same without you mate.

8. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

I can't understand this and am filled with sadness. Truly one of the most inspiring members on MAP. R.I.P. and best wishes and condoleances to his family.

9. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I am sorry to hear of Mr Coyle's passing. I always enjoyed his insightful but blunt posts. If you don't want to hear the truth, don't ask Koyo. ;)

My condolences to those who are directly affected by the loss - his family, his friends, his students.

No it won't, fella. Well said.

10. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Sad tidings indeed.

My thoughts are with his family. I always hoped that I would have the chance to train with Sensei Coyle one day, but it’s not to be.

11. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Gutting!

先生安心して行きなさい

12. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Sensei Coyle had so much of my respect for his insight, patience and the way he conducted himself in his arts & what he revealed of his life/morals

"Knocked down seven times, get up eight" certainly seems he embodied that principle

Bye man, wish there were more like you.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Could that be incorporated onto the MAP home page in some way. Seems somehow fitting for the presence of the man?

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I first heard this phrase from Koyo, and decided I wanted it tattooed on me at some point. So that's something else I need to thank him for.

15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Koyo was there to congratulate me when i got my first awards in my ma's....my first ever medal and my first competition and my very first belt - my yellow one. Unfortunately he passed before he could read of me getting my next belt - my orange one. Therefore when I go to retest the parts i missed, I train really hard, pass the test and dedicate it to him. I know he will be proud.

This is for you, Koyo Sensei. :)

16. Moi

My life and his were poles apart. Literally opposite ends of the spectrum but he never judged and made me feel OK about myself despite my past. We shared a love of 'the warriors' and he was always there for me. I'll remember Koyo for ever x

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I walked out of the house this evening for a chinese takeaway. I could hear the local church bells ringing, the skies were clear and the stars clearly visible. I stopped and looked up and said a word to Koyo.

Strange how he made some of us feel and not many people would have us all opening up like this.

I've raised a glass to Bill Coyle tonight.

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Cant belive this news,so sad.

My condolences to Mr Coyles family and friends.

Rest In Piece older brother.

19. Moi

Bill Coyle x

20. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

I didn't know Sensei Coyle, but I felt I knew something of 'Koyo' through MAP.

He trained in a soft style, but trained as hard as any.
    He disapproved of street violence, but he dealt with it to help others.
    He dedicated himself to Martial Arts, but had a life full of other pursuits.
    With few words he talked sense or raised a smile with every post.
    His level of knowledge was inspirational.

And he did all this despite being very Scottish :)

For these reasons and more he seems to have earned the respect of everyone who read his words.

I am grateful to Koyo for what he gave me. I am sure that I will stumble upon more of his wisdom in the archives. I am grateful to MAP for giving me the chance to know Koyo a little, and for a place where his words will be available to others.

I offer my deepest sympathies to his friends and family.

And I look forward to many more good conversations here amongst friends, hard training sessions on the mats, hopefully walking a similar path to a great Martial Artist, Koyo.

MN