Sensei Coyle (Koyo)'s Memorial

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by makotokai, Feb 9, 2011.

1. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Truly a very sad day. Says a great deal when a man will be missed by many who never even met him.

R.I.P., Lao Shr.

2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

My condolences to Sensei Coyle's friends and family. He'll be sorely missed.

I had many great interactions with Koyo here on MAP. We had a wonderful time discussing the parallels between European and Japanese swordsmanship. That thread is probably my favourite online MA discussion I've been involved in. The amount of martial wisdom in that man's mind was staggering.

Sensei Coyle was kind enough to send me a copy of his book. In addition to being a fine martial artist, his writing and drawing were most excellent. Reading that book made me want to train harder.

I advise everyone reading this thread to set aside from time and find Koyo's profile and click on "find all posts by Koyo". Then get to reading. You won't regret it.

I'll raise a glass to Sensei William Coyle tonight. Rest in peace, sir. I hope Valhalla's ready for you!

-Mark

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

very, very sad news. he will be greatly missed by me. and my only interaction with the man is via this forum. i can only imagine what his family and friends are going through. deepest condolences to them. rest in peace my friend!

4. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Truly sad news & a loss to Aikido. My condolences to his family and friends.

5. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

Rest in peace,sir.Always enjoyed reading what you had to say.

6. Kurai

Kurai Valued Member

I always enjoyed reading posts by Koyo. They were always insightful, thought provoking, and inspirational.

R.I.P. Coyle Sensei

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Very sad news, which I'm so sorry to hear.

All the best Koyo, we salute you. We will never forget your contribution, a truly great man and martial brother.

You have touched us all, may you rest in peace.

8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

RIP, Sensei Coyle.

A sad day indeed for the aikido community and MAP. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, as I know he had mentioned them to me on more than one occaision on the threads and in a PM. He chose the path of a warrior. May his students continue in that which he imparted to them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

RIP koyo!

a great loss for the world. great man and great martial artist. i would have liked to meet him in person.

10. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Koyo spoke with an even hand to everybody, it's hard to think of a time where his response to anyone had anything other than a thought out consideration and a wisdom of a man who had achieved great things in life.

My condolences to all the friends, family and students of Sensei William Coyle, the man will be missed.

My only regret is having not met, spoken or trained with the man in person but I hope his essence will serve as a memory to those who knew him of a person with both character and grace who we should all try to emulate in some-way.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

With the utmost respect and meaning no offence to anyone I've deleted any posts discussing some sort of memorial to Koyo.

I've done this so this thread can continue as a way of expressing ourselves over his loss.

In time I'm sure we'll look at something to remeber a man who touched the forum very deeply, but in the meantime let's keep this thread as it is.

Please accpet my aologies to anyone inconvenienced by this, no offence is intended.

mitch

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Gonna miss you Yang x

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My condolences to his family and friends. I always loved his posts and insight.

14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

My condolences to all who knew Koyo , he will be sadly missed.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Oh gosh,this really is tremendously sad news.I haven't been around for a while,but I always remember Koyo's level headed reasoning and his amazingly good humour.
    There are certain folks that you remember from this place,even when you aren't around,and Koyo was one of them.

16. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I know what you mean, I breifly broused this forum before I fully joined and I remember that I enjoyed posts that had been made by a user with an avatar of japanese looking caligraphy.

It was a year or so later that I signed up when the realisatiin stuck me that that poster was Koyo.

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This is incredibly sad news. Koyo was a very valued member of MAP. He sent me some really supportive messages when I became a mod. He will be missed!

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Wow, sad news. Koyo you have left a legacy here on MAP.

Koyo told me off once for using the term master, as it embarrased him. Well I think he was worthy of the term.

Rest in peace Master Koyo.

19. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Koyo, rest in peace my friend. :cry:

20. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I loved Koyo as my first friend I made here at MAP when I joined in sept 2009. He became like an idol and a mentor for me though we trained in different MA's.

I will miss you my friend. :(

In honor of Coyle Sensei, I change my sig and add a quote from him that he said to me once.