Sensei Coyle (Koyo)'s Memorial

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by makotokai, Feb 9, 2011.

1. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

It's with great regret that we at the Makotokai anounce the death of Sensei William Coyle. He passed away peacefully on Monday Night following a short illness.

I'm sure everyone that met and trained with him will agree that he was both an ispiration and a brilliant teacher on and off the mat.

He will be greatly missed by his friends, family and the wider martial arts community which he contributed so much to.

As his students we will strive to continue in his example..........

"Aikido pure and simple".

Attached Files:

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Koyo was an inspiration here on MAP too. I struggle to think of anyone as universally liked and respected as he was.

Please pass on the very best wishes and sincere condolences of myself and I'm sure many, many others to his family and friends.

Thank you for your insights and inspiration Koyo.

Mitch

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

RIP Sensei

We're all wiser for your teaching and poorer for your passing.

You'll be sorely missed.

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Deepest respects and condolences to all at the Makotokai, Koyo's family and friends.

All MAP readers and MA folk that had the opportunity to meet and train with the fellow will sadly miss his great advice, humour and totally friendly manner.

As far as I know Koyo started Aikido in 1959 - when I was born - and on the back of a lot of Karate and Judo.

Sensei William Coyle, we salute you with great gratitude in your sad passing.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Any Aikido "bunnies" in the afterlife are now quaking in their boots. They now need to move over.

Much respect to Koyo and condolences to all involved.

6. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I am so sorry to hear this. My condolences to all his friends and family may he rest in peace.

7. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

He offered a tonne of advice, regardless of the art you studied. Wished I had met him.

There are some vids of him online, I have to find them again and post for all to enjoy. Really smooth practitioner.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Very sad news for everyone at MAP and everyone who knew Koyo in real life. He's been such a remarkable mentor and friend to people here. MAP will never be quite the same without him. Our deepest condolences.

If there's any consolation to be found, it's that so many of us here have been changed for the better by our time with Koyo and that he'll live on through the people who knew him.

Stuart

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm sorry to hear this. Though folks I'm sure we all have no doubt that Koyo got easily past St. Peter with a tight, clean and accurate iriminage.

Koyo will be sorely missed in real life and probably just as much if not more amongst his friends and fellow martial artists here at MAP. An inspiration if ever there was one. I for one will raising a glass in his honor for a long time to come. He is the type of material that heros are made of... martial skills, a heavy dose of wisdom on the subject and a guitar strapped to his back and a sketch pad in the other hand. That's a pretty tall order in my eyes... yet he carried it off easily.

My condolences to those who had the pleasure to know him in real life. If he carried himself with the even a fraction of the aplomb yet easygoing manner that he did here at MAP... then no doubt his presence was truly a thing to treasure.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Coyle Sensei.

11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

My condolences re the loss of a great sensei who was not afraid to share with others.

Sensei Coyle R.I.P.

powchoy

12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

He was an inspiration and always level headded. And some of the jokes he'd come out with!

A sad time, but also time to celebrate his life. We all know he'd rather we have a party instead of a sombre do. Make your next training session extra hard in honour of him.

13. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. I should have gotten to know him, but judging from MAP members, he was an absolutely fantastic guy.

R.I.P Sensei William Coyle

14. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Koyo will be greatly missed here as I'm sure he will be among his students. Koyo's writings were such that I would make a point to read them as he imparted wisdom with no nonsense. He was truly a man to be admired.

Rest In Peace Koyo.....

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Koyo was a unique figure here on MAP for being liked by everyone, regardless of their style or school of martial arts.

Plus, I always wished I could draw as well as Koyo and will miss the opportunity to ask him for some tips.

A sad loss to aikido, to the martial arts and to our site.

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Sad news :(

RIP Koyo

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

A very sad loss to the world, his family, MAP and Aikido.

You will be missed, Koyo.

Rest in Peace.

18. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Condolences. RIP.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Huge loss to the site, martial arts, and the world in general.

RIP Koyo

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Damn. He'll be missed.