Seloun-Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Alexander, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

As requested KickChick,

Seloun-Do translates as New Way. It was created in England from a Korean martial art by a Mauritian TKD instructor and is only about a year or so old. I've been gong through exam hell recently so I can't claim to know everything about it as I havn't been able to get to training as often as I'd liked, but I'll list all it's differances below that leap to mind:

1) Classical Patterns have been excluded from our training syllabus, the instructor will still teach them, but only on request by a student.

2) All classical stances have been done away with, except stance which can be used for muscle strengthening.

3) All punches and blocks no longer start from the hip. It's a bit like kickboxing in that sense - but you can see where the techniques have come from.

4) This may not count, but we spend more time on grappelling, takedowns, locks, throws and counterthrows, counterlocks and countertakedowns than other schools I've visited.

5) Belt system is differant from most ITF schools.

6) Each student must prepare a personal combination, consisting of at least nine moves, against x number of opponents, which we call the 'flowzone.' After it has been performed the instructor will ask questions such as:
    What was that move?
    Where was it aimed?
    What damage would it do?
    How much force is necessary to inflict that damage?
    That force equates to x number of boards. Go and Break them using that technique.

Well, that's all that spring to mind, If I think of anymore I'll let you know.
    G'Day.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  2. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

Sounds interesting. What is the name of the Mauritian TKD Instructor?

3. Alexander

His name is Anthony Marie. He knows Roger Koo I think, of Koo self Defense. I would put a link down for our club's webpage or Roger Koo's but our club doesn't have one yet and I don't know what Master Koo's is. But I know you can find the Koo Self Defense webpage if you type it into Google. He's located in the United States I think.

4. mountainsage

mountainsage New Member

Master Koo

He is in Georgia. I am a traditional TKDer, yet find his process very interesting. Koo's stuff is very self-defense oriented.

Mountainsage

5. Alexander

From what I've heard from my instructor, Roger Koo's students can generate phenominal power, as they concentrate mostly on the aggressive movements. But the flip side is that apparently they cannot block or parry. Don't quote me on that but I've heard it's the case.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Thanks so much for posting your description of Seloun-Do....
    interesting.

Ah yes, I have heard of Koo Self- Defense .... home of the World's Youngest Black Belts.....

...:rolleyes:

7. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

5 year old black belts :eek:

Is this some kind of joke?

8. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

NewsFlash:

That 5 year old has now been promoted to Grand Master....

9. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

He'll be opening his own dojo soon then presumably!

Perhaps by the time he's 30, he'll be introducing himself as the worlds only 25th Dan!

10. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

are they serious?

11. mjhian

mjhian New Member

Who promoted Mr. Marie to 7th Degree?
    He left the ITF as a 3rd Degree at most.

12. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Hmmm, the test seems very focused on breaking boards. Personally I find board breaking a very poor judge of smoeone ability to fight. Yes being able to break 3 black boards is impressive...

Personally the way I like to train with boards is to put one or two on the holder, and try and break them with no measure and with as little distance judging as possible. I think spending a lifetime taking measures and practice shots like some people like to do is counter productive.

Also really fixed holders are counter productive, really the holder should move back as freely as possible - that better simulates hitting a person.

Last time I competed I broke 1 black with a punch, 1 with a Knife Hand and 1 with a reverse turning kick. I didn't place with that, but if my turning kick and side kick had been successful I would have gotten joint first. I like breaking for the novelty factor but I don't see it as an important or practical part of MA.

13. Alexander

Wow... This is an old thread!

O.k, any queries about the system itself or the instructor then its probably best e-mail the club. The contact details are on the webpage: www.ajima.plus.com

Smokemare - the instructor would agree with you I think. Generally when asked why we break stuff he replies that its really confidence building as boards don't hit back. Sparring (I didn't mention this originally) is actually a huge part of the test - everyone I've trained with at this place shares your thoughts that board breaking and patterns are no substitute for sparring: I think to get to red belt you need to free-spar two on one, and black requires three on one. I could be wrong on this one though so if there are any queries best go to the webpage.

14. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Funny it sounds sort of like Hapkido

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  15. Liamtkd

Liamtkd New Member

Don't you start again ;)

16. mjhian

mjhian New Member

To practice Breaking is also to practice good technique.
    It is not just -if you break the board- an Examiner will ask you to line-up to see if you apply the correct (area of the) tool for the job. The break is almost secondary - unless you dont break it ;-)

Taekwon

17. Ajima

Ajima New Member

A reply from Master Marie

Hi Mj

I take it you are a member of ITF, as I was an Instructor for the ukta. I assume that you are involve with them also, I am delighted that they remember me, for your information I was promoted by a special panel made up of people who believe in the same values. As for why I left, I would not even go there, it would be openning Pandora's box, but go to the top, then contact me I'll provide you with evidence, thanks for the interest and good luck with your training

PS I can also explain the "power break principle" to you as you are mistaken about our training methods.

Master Marie BSc 7th degree

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  18. mjhian

mjhian New Member

I was not referring to your training methods in my previous text. I was referring to purpose of destruction techniques within a Martial Art.

No I am not UKTA. I do not know if the UKTA remember you.
    I do know what is in Pandoras Box and that you were unfairly treated: enough said.

19. Ajima

Ajima New Member

Mj

I’m intrigue? How do you know who I am? No disrespect intended, could not tell the tone of your text. The purpose of breaking boards by the way is for the students to discover their full potential and capacity using a variety of techniques, which can then be used in a confrontational situation without fear. This is an abridge version. Enjoy your training.

20. mjhian

mjhian New Member

So the person discovers their full potential and capacity using the variety of techniques, which can be used in a confrontational situation without fear (abridged) - but since the quality of technique is of no significance, they are now in A&E...?
    Agreed - you can measure progress in your development of strength, accuracy, speed, balance, willpower and concentration but at the end of the day, this will only happen when the technique has been applied correctly.

(Rewind a bit) An examiner must see that a technique is applied properly (lign-up) before they are sure that the student is capable of executing that technique effectively without damaging themselves. But then the student should already have been practicing the technique and confident that they are able to apply the theory of power, etc, etc, etc at that given moment - a synthetic confrontational situation...your will against the board..under the duress of the grading :-/

Regards All

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.