Self taught Tai Chi ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jia, Jun 10, 2011.

1. jia

jia New Member

WOW .... I have not been insulted like this since my sister used to beat me like a wood dummy...or even better I have not seen humor like this since I taught at elemtary school....

All jokes and sarcasm aside I will try to clairify a few things as my posts may have been a little smug or know it all and in the wrong forum (D-OH). I simply want to learn to practise Tai Chi and I live in a remote area. I am here to find insight and resources to help my development for the long haul. I am sure I am making mistakes and do not assume I know anything about Tai Chi. In saying I want to do it my way, I meant I will do whatever it takes and use the resources I have. I will head the advice found here thus far and find a good teacher soon. My lower back is by no means cronic and very subtle but it is very strange that I was doing very physical labor for the past few months and my back felt great. It is only recently that I have had some down time so I have doubled my Tai Chi learning to about 1 hr a day. I am not 100%sure my issue was from Tai Chi but.

Here is the video series I have been learning from. Notice at 2:22 and several spots he say's turn back. I may have been misunderstanding and twisting back.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQH9hhI73q8"]YouTube - ‪Tai Chi Chuan 24-Steps for Beginners Lesson-2‬‏[/ame]

For all those concerned about my desert island.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...tlif130774189228111&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

For all those who want to buy cartoons and watch senior's do Tai Chi dance every morning.

http://lansdowne-centre.com/

Peace
    jia

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Is this is a dessert island?

[​IMG]

3. 47MartialMan

Your problem and solution:

Get off the island and change places with a few of us

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

OK, jia, I apologize if I was too harsh sounding. But as 47MM has pointed out in the thread he has addressed to you, you did come off rather....squirrely.

We're also quite used to folks who want to "learn whatever by themselves" and refuse to listen to those with experience as to the folly of inexperienced people attempting this.It gets tiresome.

Glad to hear you will look for a teacher-sooner the better.

Still,those seven questions I asked.You can't answer them,can you? Which leads me to.....

Understand,you can really damage for example your knees in TC if you don't do it w/correct alignment & mechanics.It can be permanent damage,like arthritis.I wager you've never heard of "T'ai Chi Knee". Hip joints and lower verts in the back are two other places to watch out for.Maybe your back problem isn't related to your practice,but it could be.Correct practice can take you a long way.Incorrect practice can also,but not in a direction you'd like to go.

Find a teacher.Happy hunting!

Lastly-

Most folks aren't going to think of a desert island as being off the coast of Quebec. Can't blame us for goin' coconuts!

Wow,your island's near Cape Breton.If you can go there a couple times a month I know you'd find some excellent teachers.

In traditional fiddle.

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The simple answer is YOU CAN'T. Yes that's right you can't learn martial arts on your own. Not possible. Can't be done. Wasting your time. Not sure how many ways it needs to be said.

The Bear.

6. jia

jia New Member

Elmedico I really appreciate your post, squerlyer may be my middle name.

white bear ..If I listened to all the people who told me no/know I would not be the inspired individual I am now....If at best I can inspire myself until I find a teacher, I am happy....but the point is taken find a teacher.

Thanks everybody,

as always ready, focused yet free

jia

7. 47MartialMan

The point of inspiration and self taught are two different subjects.

You can be inspired, but to be self taught in martial arts is like being self taught to fly a airplane

(And no, we can't be plugged into "The Matrix Plane Flying Program")

If a person desires to fly a plane, and there are no instructors available, they could learn via books, videos, other mediums, to study and understand the underlying principals of planes and flight.

However, to walk up and get into a actual plane, and try to fly it without instructor/instruction, is asking to crash and burn

It is ok to partake a interest, but make sure the reality of being instructed by a live-qualified instructor/person is the foremost consideration