Self studying

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dragon Man, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Dragon Man

Dragon Man New Member

Does anyone know of any good self studying techniques for martial arts? I know self studying isn't the best way at all but I'll have to live with it until I can find a place here that teaches what I want to learn...

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Shadowboxing, Bag Work, Other Strength and Cardio drills, general fitness. Learning or at least gleening some knowledge from Books and Videos etc. Not exactly ideal but better than nothing, until you can get yourself to a class.

Certain Organisations do Correspondence courses. Some these are a bit dodgy, but Hell, if it was a matter of only being able to train like that or not at all then I'd go for the self-help option and do all the above.

Alternatively, if you are stuck out in the wilds, but have a few reliable people that would be interested in training. Then look around for Instructors that are running classes in your state and contact them.

Saying that you there are a group of people in your town who are interested in training in the Instructors style and would they consider coming say once a week to your town or village, if you could guarantee a certain amount of income and people in attendance (The Money is the Clincher)?.
    Some Instructors might be looking to expand their organisation, or do it for the love of the art or something else and take you up on it.

At least give it a try if it's applicable to your circumstances. You never know until you do...

3. Dragon Man

Dragon Man New Member

Thanx for the ideas man. Hmmm, I do need ta' find more books. Either way, I guess Walden Books might have'em. Or Barnes 'n Nobles. Catcha' later.

4. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

its not so much about owning a lot of books, but understandig what you read. And practice it too wether its sparring, shadowboxing, or bag work. Make sure the book have illustrations of what they are talking about. I havent many that dont. but you never know.

5. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Instructional tapes are also a good source of techniques. You can see the drills, techniques performed with a little explanation of each. Best if you have partner to train with

As always, the best way would be from an instructor if you can find one.

6. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

im assuming the style you are looking into is JKD. If im correct some books you may be interested in are Tao of JKD, Tao of Gung Fu:a study in the way of chinese martial arts, and Fighting Method, which is a series of 4 books(self-defence,basics,intermediate,and advanced techniques).

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

If you TRULY want to learn JKD and have no instructor then seek out your local boxing gym and put in 3 or 4 years hard work there, Judo/Wrestling too if you can find it.

Foundations are more important long term than poncing about going "Waataaaah!" with some buddies :Angel:

8. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Ohh...

You're no fun :p

I say start with working on your "Waataaaah!", then move on to the "WOOOO!" and finally the "WAAAAA!"

9. Dragon Man

Dragon Man New Member

Lol! Actually, I saw that 4 book series today and was goin' to buy it! Just one thin'. I ran outa' money! Oh, well, I get my paycheck tomorrow. SR has all the tapes. Hmmm, if I can't find a JKD instructor, then I'll take up somethin' else in the meantime. Right now I'm in TKD/Hapkido...There are karate classes out here but I've already been in karate (shotokan). I also remember that there are kung fu classes here. I might be able to get into those...I'd also like to know which type it is...