Self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by AmericanSniper, Jul 9, 2021.

1. AmericanSniper

AmericanSniper New Member

How effective would a combination of boxing and kickboxing(muay thai) be with krav maga and eventually do a little grappling but focusing on striking first so a altercation won’t go to the ground

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You would be great at striking, good at some clinchwork, and terrible at escaping the ground.

Go try some classes and see if you enjoy that sort of training, the most effective art is the one you enjoy doing.

axelb likes this.
  3. AmericanSniper

would you recommend trying to fit a grappling art into my schedule like bjj since i’ll have standup covered

4. Dead_pool

If you enjoy it yes, if you don't no, many MMA gyms will offer kickboxing, MMA and BJJ classes all for one membership fee, of you have one in your local area, that's an easy way to see which arts you enjoy, do a week trial, go try other gyms, join the one you enjoy and can get too the most.

5. AmericanSniper

the thing is it’s a boxing gym and they teach mma it just doesn’t work with my schedule but i was going to do the boxing in the am then go to open gym and the kickboxing coach said he’d train me during the open gym since i can’t make the other classes, i was considering this bjj that the guy says they roll every class and when teaching takedowns they teach judo throws so it’d be a good mix of stand up fighting and ground, along with the things that krav teaches?

6. Dead_pool

Go and do some normal classes, and then see what you enjoy doing the most, your over thinking it.

Mitch, axelb, Alansmurf and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is spot on. Don't look for the perfect mix of classes from the outset, find something you like doing and do it. Do that class a lot, get good at it, and have fun. the Instructor at that class will be as much a part of that equation as what the class is.

In the meantime, look around for other classes. Find ones that have an Instructor you like, try them for a while. See how you go, but major on your first choice.

Simon and axelb like this.