Self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by AmericanSniper, Jun 23, 2021.

1. AmericanSniper

AmericanSniper New Member

I’ve been in Krav Maga for 7 months and have been wanting to sharpen or compliment my krav with a martial art would American kenpo be a good way or Chun kuk do(the Chuck Norris system) and there’s tkd and BJJ near me and a kung fu place

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I would suggest trying them all, my own opinion is that the BJJ added to krav would be the best, as it's the only mix of your options that covers standing grappling and ground fighting, which is common in SD.

3. AmericanSniper

Would you recommend doing BJJ first due to kravs lacking in grappling and I personally think I’m a good enough striker to hold my own but my ground game isn’t the best. Also since there’s different “styles” of BJJ like they’re from different artists like how machado and Gracie have their own style or what would be best for self defense or doesn’t matter?

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Yea, to fill the gaps in your game.

all BJJ is really the same, Gracie academy has a bigger focus on SD, but it's a false choice really, the school you can get to the most, and are happiest at, will be the best fit for you.

axelb likes this.
  5. AmericanSniper

I was also considering trying judo since, you don’t ever really want to be on the ground but judo is mainly standing throws or landing on them and teaches a base of ground work so I thought maybe it would be a better compliment to krav and for sd?

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

As already said, try them all, but Chun kuk do incorporates BJJ in the style

7. blindside

blindside Valued Member

BJJ or Judo. Judo will actually spend more time with you resisting getting taken down which is hugely important for the self-defense approach, many BJJ schools tend to start from the ground particularly in the early ranks.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Dead_pool

Yes, judo is great too, if you have a local school, go and try it out!!

9. AmericanSniper

there is a local school they’re apart of the american judo and jiujitsu federation while doing judo and encorporating danzan ryu(japanese jiujitsu) in the class and the instructor is a shodan in judo so i think it would be a good dojo to try out

10. Dead_pool

Go and try them all out and then make your decision!

Generally I would say combat sports are superior at developing people who are good at fighting, then traditional arts are, but really, the art you enjoy the most, so you train the most is the best.

11. AmericanSniper

i mainly just want to learn traditional martial arts for grappling now since my grappling isn’t that great

12. Dead_pool

That's like sticking to doing elementary schools math, because you don't count so good.

If you want to be good, go to the professionals, I can hand on heart say the majority of all combat sports gyms I've been in, have been more friendly and welcoming then the majority of TMA dojo I have been in.

The judo class ran by the danzan Ryu school sounds ideal really if that environment bis what your looking for, go and try some classes!

13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Judo and BJJ tend to have lots of sparring/pressure testing across the board, which is the best way to improve your grappling. Traditional Jiu Jitu can be hit and miss when it comes to developing practical skills depending on how it's trained. I love the traditional stuff I do, but we roll every session. We had a traditional Jiu Jitsu black belt come to Judo. You can see the knowledge is there when we drill, but he couldn't hold his own in Randori with the lower grades because he's not used to applying the knowledge against resistance.

Good luck whichever you choose. Be consistent, and have fun!

axelb likes this.
  14. AmericanSniper

i found out more about the bjj place i’m looking at and they roll every class and he said when they learn takedowns they’re also teach different judo throws

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

Many BJJ places will also have classes in striking and takedowns ( judo plus wrestling normally) as well as the standard groundwork of BJJ, it depends on the gym, but the majority of gyms will have quite a varied timetable.

So anyway, go and try some classes and see what you enjoy!