self-defense laws resources

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by noodlemaster, Feb 3, 2005.

1. noodlemaster

noodlemaster New Member

does anyone know any good websites or books that have information about laws and punishments for self-defense? Thanks

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In the U.S. no!

In the U.K. Blackstones or Buterworths are pretty good

3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

This isn't a commercial for LFI or anyone else. I have no financial interest in any of these instructors. But I respect the hell out of their knowledge and ability to teach.

Massad Ayoob is the place to start. "In the Gravest Extreme" comes from a firearms perspective. It covers the fundamentals clearly and accurately. His LFI-1 Judicious Use of Deadly Force is generally regarded as the Gold Standard for this sort of training. Well worth the several hundred dollar price tag. Other places like Firearms Academy of Seattle and Modern Warrior do this superbly, too. Mr. Ayoob is just the best known.

When I took LFI-1 there were highly experienced defense attorneys who came out saying that it left their law school training and bench experience in the dust.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I highly recommend "The Law and Martial Arts" by Carl Brown

The Law and Martial Arts addresses the legal ramifications of using martial arts techniques for self-defense in the home and in public. Carl Brown, a lawyer and black belt in kudokan judo, draws on his professional law experience and martial arts expertise to describe the legal policies that can protect - or indict - an individual who uses martial arts techniques in self-defense. Among the issues he describes in this text are assault and battery, the law and self-defense, legal statutes on possessing and using martial arts weapons, and what constitutes legal (and illegal) uses of martial force in each state. Brown provides examples from actual cases to illustrate current legal policies about what a court is likely to consider "excessive" force, and the special legal standards which may be used to judge a "trained fighter" (i.e. black belt) in a court of law. Finally, Brown describes the way(s) in which legal policies on using martial force vary between states. The individual state statutes for using martial arts weapons within each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, are also outlined in this book.

5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Do you think it's worth spending the extra twenty bucks to get it with the video?

6. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

Carl Brown's book used to be named "Martial Arts and the Trained Fighter" but they gave it a new name when they came out with a new edition, if I'm not mistaken. Look for it under both titles if you are just getting the book. You can get a used copy fairly cheap.

Karl Duff has a book entitled "Martial Arts and the Law" which is quite good. He used to be a law professor at Georgia State University and also studied a Burmese martial art called bando. Please notice the similarity of Brown's revised title and Duff's title.

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I noticed when going to the Amazon.com Link that there are 5 volumes of DVD's. I haven't seen the DVD to offer comment as to whether it is worth it though.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  8. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

After doing your research, I would suggest you also look up your state laws to see how your research would apply. I'm sure you can find all your criminal statue on the internet. I know we can here on the westcoast. Also have a chat with your local LE and Prosecutor's office, and find out what their view is on the matter.

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

And maybe find an experienced defense attorney. Ask him or her to do some research on the statutes and case law and translate them into English.