Self Defense for Children

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Shotokanwarrior, you are allowing yourself a dangerous delusion. Firstly even at your height I doubt if you weigh more than 10 st at your age, secondly your allowing the illusion of training to create a belief that you can 'take' any 'average male adult'.

A kidnapper will not 'fight' with you, if they intend to have you away they won't let you see their cards.

Secondly, at my personal physical peak when I worked as a Doorman, I was 16 stone of 24 year old weightlifter with 13 yrs of MA and 3 yrs of doorwork experience behind me, I was not as confident in my abilities as you seem to be in yours.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Totally agree....sometimes people have misconceptions about what they CAN and CANNOT actually do. However, this false sense of security will deminish when you actually test your skills.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

In reality you will not rise to meet your expectations but rather fall to your level of training.

4. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Exactly...this is not a pleasant experiance but it is reality and people must accept it.

5. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Best quote yet... also some great posts with common sense on here... I pray to god my kids will be safe (and I dont even believe).. but the best thing we can teach them is common sense... not the sense that they are all powerful (Shoto)...

Gedhab some good posts here...

6. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Thank you my friend! :)

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Let's assume we are talking "children" with NO formal SD or MA training here.

Look at my post ... this is exactly what I have taught all 3 of my children (and all 3 have had MA training) Kids are clever ... hopefully they capitalize on that.
    KISS rule for kids too...... Be Loud (the human alarm signal)..... Keep Moving if grabbed (punching and kicking--flail about) .... get away and RUN!

We've had several situations of attempted abductions in our area.... at school bus stops and around school areas, which has brought awareness education taught in the classroom along with DARE programs taught by area police....

No matter WHAT age you are WITH formal training... you are never "mentally" equipped to engage your defenses until an attack happens.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

When my children were younger, I told them to yell and scream like they were on fire if someone grabbed them. As they grew older, the two older ones can pretty much take care of themselves. Adam is 14 now, 5'10" 140 lbs and Matt is 5'6", 110lbs and know that, even if their not stronger than a perv, their smarter than most. I've taught them to immediately go for the eyes, throat, groin, knees and feet. Jordan even knows how to work against the thumb and stomp feet and knees if he's grabbed. He still has that ear piercing, glass breaking, making dogs howl high pitched scream that will wake the dead so its an evil combination.

We know nothing works completely, but we do a lot of escape scenario work in kids class at TKD and it seems to work for us. The kids are taught NOT to scream help unless they need it for real and also know if they hear someone screaming to get an adult and investigate.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I read an article in a UK MA mag about a Karate club a few years ago. They ran a series of tests in a local supermrket (having gained the managers and polices permissions), they had the older (20/30 yr old) members of the club 'abduct' the younger (5-10 yr olds).

They got the kids to say different things in different ways. Apparently the one that got the best response was to pick out a nearby female shopper, getting eye contact and saying loudly but calmly (well not calm, but not screaming),

"This isn't my mum/dad, help me please!"

This apparently got the 'kidnapper' stopped more times than if the child screamed the same phrase.

And by the by, on one ocassion one of the 'kidnappers' was set upon by a group of angry dads! The manager was present at all of the 'kidnappings' and had a lot of explaining to do!!!

10. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Hey, I'm not that confident in my ability. I don't think I'm Trinity from The Matrix or anything. Just reckon I could 'take' someone if I absolutely had to.

Hey, I said I think I could. I'll try and get in one if you like...I have come across a really good comeback for 'What are you looking at?':

Search me, they don't put labels on please don't swear .

I'll use it next time I get the opportunity:)

Seriously guys, what should I be doing and believing? Should I go around believing I am defenceless? That's a genuine question, not a piece of obscure sarcasm.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2004
  11. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Go around with self-confidence and consider your options if a confrontation should arise, but don't think "o well i can take him if i really want"....because that could put you in real danger.

keep training hard and perfecting your skill. :)

12. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

No-one is putting down your abilities or your training, but when I was taught to drive I was told to do so "as if every other driver was a lunatic who was trying to run me off the road". I give all drivers every respect for their potentially stupid actions :D.

By the same right - feeling you could 'take someone' creates a very fine line between the confidence to do what you need to, and the agression to push a situation when you don't know the strength/training/weaponry/friends within calling distance of your opposition.

Unfortunatly when the written word is read, a mental picture appears of the person saying the words - that picture can be completely wrong but it prompts replys like that of Freeform earlier. Give him smile - he's on your side really :)

Your MA ability should be the biggest shock a would-be bad guy has ever had in his life - I just hope you never need to deliver that shock (but if you do... do it well :D)

13. TKD=FUN

TKD=FUN New Member

no matter if your male or female going around with the attitude of "o well i can take him if i really want" is just asking for trouble.

no matter how good you are there is always going to be someone better than you

14. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Self Defense for Kids-

-Try the "Ticked Off Cat Drill" with your young students.

--For this drill, bear LOTS of protective equipment (cup, eye goggles, head gear, chest gear, etc...). Once you are fully protected, take turns "attacking" the kids. Run over, grab em, and try to bring them past a preset "line" on the floor. Use increasing levels of intensity equal to their rank/age.

The kids are charged with acting like "Ticked Off Cats", in that they kick, scream, gouge, wiggle, etc... in order to get away from you. You encourage them to go all out, since your eyes/ears/groin/etc... are protected. Promote attacks like claws, gouges, knees, bites, etc...

Make this a regular part of your training, and the kids will at least have SOME idea of what to do when threatened with abduction.

May you achieve
    Satori

15. cxw

cxw Valued Member

There's some good advice on hear regarding escaping and prevention.

I still think the whole knees, groin, eyes thing is so unreleastic though.

The only thing I can see that's missed is this:

MOST OF THE TIME THE CHILD KNOWS THE ATTACKER

It's more likely to be an uncle, aunty, cousin, scout master etc. In these situations, the boundary of acceptability is likely to slowly be pushed. For this to stop before it gets too far will require you to have good open communication between parents and adults.

Or alternatively just a big mean kid at school or gives out a small level of physical pain, and a whole lot of humilation.

16. Fire-Horse

Fire-Horse Valued Member

Highly recommended read

I would strongly recommend anyone wanting to learn about keeping children safe to read 'Protecting the Gift' Gavin DeBecker - this is one of the most informative books I have ever read, full of excellent advice but is also well balanced and puts the risks into context. It is one of those books that you can't put down, though some of the cases it quotes makes uncomfortable reading - especially for parents.

Having said that every parent should read this book (and so should anyone who teaches kid's) - it will improve the safety of your kids but will also reduce your anxieties.

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

http://www.loveourchildrenusa.org/whostealschildren.php
    Please do me a favor .... go to this web site and cut & paste from
    "NEVER ASSUME THAT YOUR CHILD WILL NOT BE ABDUCTED, ABUSED OR EXPLOITED--What Parents Can Do ... (all the way on down) and please read and keep handy if you have children or give to friends & relatives who have chlidren.

This is the very BEST info that I have uncovered on the net.... as with women's self defense..... teaching children self-protective skills isn't just taking them to "karate" class.

"Not everyone agrees on self-defense programs for kids - feeling that some children might try to beat up an adult aggressor. They question whether a child fighting to get away could provoke a kidnapper to more violence. Parents should stress that getting away and calling for help are the children's primary defenses. While karate or other martial arts may help develop physical strength and self-confidence, make sure that your children do not overestimate their abilities.

It's impossible to give children rules for every possible danger. Focus on a few simple skills.

Such as the "NO! GO! YELL! TELL!" rules

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month. Learn more about preventing child abuse and neglect ....
    http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/topics/prevention/index.cfm

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  18. walk

walk New Member

A few tips to protect your children

I have worked in law enforcement for the last 9 years, in my opinion most bad guys will only strike targets when they feel they have an easy oppourtunity. So my advice is don't provide the bad guy with an easy oppourtunity to prey on your child. ost bad guys looking for, prey...easy prey.
    To protect your children from becoming easy prey teach them. DONT TALK TO STRANGERS! If your child is walking home from school and has a problem he/she should talk to a uniformed officer, a teacher, or a trusted neighbor. If that is not possible, consider having your child go to a store, open business, or gas station and have a clerk or manager call the police, parents, or school. Know your child's route to and from wherever they need to travel. Drive the route, or better yet...walk the route. Be mindful of areas where the bad guy can hide or flee. Places such as highways, fields, wooded areas, industrial areas, abandoned barns, houses..etc are dangerous. The bad guy knows if these locations are on your childs route home from school, you need to be aware of them as well. Have your child avoid these areas, change the route if you have to.
    Use code words such as the name of a pet or favorite toy (if you have an emergency and must send a stranger to pick up your child). Teach children to walk in groups. Teach your child it is OK to tell a stranger NO! It is OK to to run if confronted. Never get into a strangers vehicle. If confronted try to remember face, clothing, vehicle description, plate number. Teach your child to tell you if any strange adult contacts them. (a lot of bad guys will test the child first with an innocent contact before they do something worse) Communicate with your children.
    Your child should always be aware! The bad guy can travel. No such thing as a safe neighborhood. Also remember, many molesters are people who are known and trusted by the family. YOU MUST TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. Don't worry about offending "the nice person showing your child attention". If it seems like "something is wrong" with the person showing your child attention, you may be right. I could go on and on but I won't.
    Bottom Line. Get the information you need to protect your child. The resources are out there. Also, ask both your local and State Police about registered sex offenders in your area. What you discover might surprise you.

19. Fire-Horse

Fire-Horse Valued Member

Info from Police

Interesting - here in the UK I doubt whether the Police will be allowed to reveal any details at all - maybe I'm wrong - I know we have some UK Police on the forum - would appreciate your input.

I was told unofficially from a source that I deemed credible, that the town I live in has been designated a "safe area" to rehouse pedophiles based upon statistics that identified a large elderly population. However this is not common knowledge, I suspect due to the fear of vigilantism.

From what I understand repeat offence from pedophiles is a likely prospect, IMO convicted pedophiles lose all privileges to human rights and should not be let anywhere near children ever again.

However, it's important to keep this in context, by following the advice already mentioned on this thread (including reading 'protecting the gift') then the chances of your child getting into the clutches of a pedophile become highly unlikely.

It was unsettling to discover that the vast majority of child sex offenders are known to the child - i.e family, family friend, trusted neighbour. One of the facts that has surprised me is that most rapes happen to male victims - male on male. In fact when you look at the statisitics in the UK a young male is far more likely to become a victim of violence the a young women. Makes you think - doesn't it.

20. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

I read that one in BlackBelt magazine and it make the most sense..