Self-Defense Course Name?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by humble student, Sep 23, 2005.

1. humble student

humble student Valued Member

I have been sponsored as a self-defense instructor through the American Shorin-ryu Karate Association. I will not teach Shorin-ryu. But I will teach self-defense to other disabled people. I will also earn rank after a review of the associations board members. My sponsor is a 7th dan in Shorin-ryu. He wants me to come up with a name that covers flexibility/adaptability as it pertains to people overcoming challenges to pursue there goals. One name I have come up with is "Pliable-Defense" I think it shows that Martial arts and People can both adapt to manage any situation and allow people of all abilities to enjoy learning martial arts or any other sport.

Thanks!!!

John Runer

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  2. humble student

PLease let me know of any other names you feel are appropriate. I am trying to find a name that lets ALL PEOPLE feel welcome to learn self-defense.

Thanks
    John Runer

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Can't say I like the "pliable-defense" idea - just makes it sound like you have to be really bendy or something :D

Maybe something more along the lines of "Adaptable Defense System", or "Limitless Defense". Not got my creative head on today I'm afraid :confused:

4. humble student

I like limitless line of thinking. I will see if its taken. I tried adaptive defense and it was taken. It is out of nevada. I also tried defense ability, still taken. Two of my other Ideas or Flex-Able or Flex-Abled Defense as I will work with anyone of any ablity. It is also meant to imply the natural ability of people to overcome ANY challenge. These are the thoughts I am trying to put out in just a couple of words, not easy!

Thanks
    John

5. humble student

Does anyone like adaptable defense? or Natural Defense?

John

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I don't like adaptable - Natural defense yes - maybe Challenge defense too?

Gotta say I like Flex-Abled too :)

7. humble student

I think I am going to try out flex-abled with my Sponsor.. If he approves it I will go with it!

Thanks
    John

8. humble student

The name that will probably be approved is ASKA Defense Abled-followed by a brief explanation of its purpouse. To teach and empower abled and disabled to defend themselves. ASKA stands for American Shorin-Ryu Karate Association. Just a brief update for anyone following this.

John Runer

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Ah well - we still got the abled bit didnt we :)

Look forward to hearing updates :)