Self Defense-Are People Aware?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by 47MartialMan, Jul 7, 2016.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What about how to avoid administering violence?

De-escalation? Body language? Verbal Judo? Reading physiological telegraphs?

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

True.

In my opinion/life experience the smallest part of self defence is the physical skills. The largest parts are cognitive and emotional.

Fighting is where you need the physical skills as well as mental and physical toughness. Fighting is what occurs when your self defence/protection strategies fail.

3. Ruark

Ruark New Member

Well, "surrender" might be on the list.... kinda drifting off-topic, though.

4. Ruark

Ruark New Member

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

That's creepy, since it's happening afterwards again.

The chance to get the elbow locked like he seem to want to - I certainly wouldn't be willing to take that risk :eek:

Surrendering has nothing to do with David Harrisons points.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

As I feel, the purpose of this thread should be to discuss those "bullet men scenarios". A "twist" instead of discussing "what should be"

Given that members to post videos on bad techniques, patterns, and such before, I wanted to discuss videos and such of bad self defense within a single thread

The problem with people going to seminars is that most are not aware as to ask themselves; "why they need self defence training and what do they want from it."

I just had a recent discussion with my teen daughter, few of her friends, and a few of the mothers of those friends. Not one of them (except my daughter) realize that SD is "not only" about physical applications.

Two of the mothers went to a SD class and they (mothers) demonstrated a few tactics, which by far, did not have any real application.

Look upon this not as a "negative", but on of "what not do to" (videos and pics)

And this, is the reason for this thread:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  7. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

It is terrible for the reason you state and others.
    But what can be done?
    I began a thread a couple of years ago about whether Urban Krav Maga misleads the client be presenting stuff without relation to Krav Maga and this video does the same.
    I hope someone from UKM would pick up the challenge but none did.

All we can say is : buyer beware.

8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

The newby should look at the people who are respected and who can do the business in the SP/SD and martial arts world and do what they have done ...not necessarily what they say.
    What I mean is how many instructors who offer courses and who are the real deal actually learnt what they did by doing SD courses too. How many did a quick fix or the odd course here and there?

The truth?
    Not many if any. The worse might off....not the ones who can back up what they say.

Most have learnt to fight and fought in some capacity and been in situations and spent time when SD was not on their minds ...learnt through experience and life. Looked into things themselves...taken from various fields outside martial arts...sociology...psychology...etc.....
    These very same people have spent years on this stuff and still do.
    Yet others can do all this in a few courses?

Nah.....somethings amiss there.

What I'm not saying is go out and get into street fights to learn......the next step down will do...learning to fight within a full contact sporting context on a regular basis and then taking that physical element and fitting it psychologically with what could happen in a 'real situation'....

Psychological fundamentals are anything not physical, for me.
    In everyday life, being confident, a sound person, not an idiot...being aware what's going on...alert to the world around......these types of things are needed generally for life..not just SD and can be worked on all the time and transfer to all areas .
    There's no doubt that SD instructers have important things to say on these subjects...I'm not disputing that. There is just no quick fix or one specific course that can do it.

Maybe the newby should be told no such course exits....I don't know.
    Maybe advised to do them on the side whist training in something regular rather than just doing courses....I don't know.

There's no subject that anyone can just learn quickly. No expert in any subject learnt quickly. Its commitment and personal drive to want to learn.

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The guy in the KM video is a former commando in the Israeli army's anti terrorism unit. Take that as you will.

10. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

cashing in

Pedigree is no guarantee of quality.
    I have trouble believing he was taught much of that by the IDF.