Self Defence Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by yuen, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

But that isn't self defence.

That's being stuck in a bad situation and having to deal with it.

Self Defence, generally speaking, involves working within the bounds of the laws of the land. Also please keep in mind who started the thread and their age etc.

It's not very good self defence in your actions running up to the altercation gets you put inside separated from your family and loved ones. No you wouldn't be much good to them dead but equally you aren't much good to them in jail.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That is self defence. Whether within the bounds of the law or not it's still self defence.

Age isn't an issue. i started carrying at 15 because I had to.

I would say this... If your situation necessitates you carrying a weapon, do so. If not, don't. If you do carry a weapon, make sure it's not just a weapon and have a suitable excuse.

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Every time we get one of these SD Weapons threads, it turns to comedy.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I think I've spotted your mistake.

5. ScottUK

I LOL'd.

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

There's an ethnography written by Philippe Bourgois called In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio. It's the only decent explanation of drug culture I've ever read. Read that, then get back to me. Unless you understand the culture from the inside, you'll never understand half of the reasons for selling, taking, and being around drugs.

Things are not so black and white as your six words make them seem.

7. ScottUK

Oh man, and here's me thinking you were a LEO. Don't I feel the fool... :rolleyes:

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Why, precisely, would I want to struggle to understand an illegal, dangerous trade with no relation to my daily life whatsoever and which I have no desire to ever be involved in, at any point in the chain?

The way you talk about it makes it sound as though you are proud of being a criminal in the past. Sorry, but to me at least it really doesn't come across as something to be proud of - nor as something desirable.

As for addiction, I'm well aware of how that works, so that's the taking bit covered. I already understand a third of it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

If every item you carried was a weapon...

:whistle:

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I'm not saying you have to but it is a subject very misunderstood from the perspective of those who've never been involved. If you want to talk about a subject it's good to understand the topic first.

There is an element of pride and respect to it while you're in it but not the way you're seeing it. Mostly now it's just thankfulness at being alive.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm still not really seeing where that ties in with suggesting that a fifteen year old (or anyone else) bend and twist the law in order to carry a weapon, so that they can defend themselves from three people attempting to rob them while making a drug deal. It might, perhaps, be better to suggest that they don't start down a life of crime in the first place and take common sense precautions - such as staying away from those who do.

I also don't see where it ties in with boasting about having smashed and torched cars, as well as people.

And finally saying that I have no right to talk about it, since I've never been a drug addict or dealer, and suggesting that if I do want to talk about the trade I should get involved with it is borderline incitement to commit a crime. You might want to be careful who you try to encourage that way, and how you phrase things.

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

This is where you don't understand WHY someone takes up drug dealing. I said carry if you need to, don't if you don't. I wouldn't suggest anyone start down that road.

This is where you don't understand the respect and pride which comes with that environment. So you're right. You don't see. And yeah, some of it was fun because I was young and it was dangerous. Some of it was terrifying.

No I'm saying read the book because at this point you're a virgin talking about sex. You might want to avoid twisting my words.

13. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

nope, we don't need to twist:

another one. I LOL'ed :

says the guy who bends the law :evil:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

to OP:

weapon for self-defense? SHOES.

preferably steel-toed. with good traction and good yet comfortable fit. not too heavy and snug enough that it's like glued to your feet, won't let go under chaotic circumstances.

that said, you also need to have good legs(for running and kicking). add to that good clothes that are durable, gives you good freedom of movement and won't snag easily.

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You certainly seem to be advocating for it.

Oh believe me I do. I've met deluded people before.

Yep. I don't see where someone who smashes and torches other people's property, and boasts about beating people up, or about being robbed while conducting a drug deal, has any claim to understanding of either respect or pride.

I'm not twisting your words. Simply pointing out that your view on the world is invalid, and you are not placed to be giving advice to people on self-defense. Your attitude is that it's all about being able to get away with breaking the law - self-evidently disqualifying you from giving good legal advice.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If sucking off another man for a rock is pride I'll stay ashamed thank you

I understand it fully - dealers are worthless piles of crap

16. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

At 1-1/2 inches it isn't a walking stick - it's a club. I'm surprised anyone believed you.

I watched "A Clockwork Orange" for the first time a while ago. There were many violent scenes but the one that really made me wince was when "Alex and friends" beat up a drunk using their walking sticks - solid wood with a **** at the end. Anyone who has trained with a stick will appreciate just how much damage such a weapon will inflict.

If I ever found myself on my knees in front of another man for any reason I would be seriously reconsidering my choices in life.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Please be cautious with the sexual references gents.
    No TOS broken, just an awareness reminder. Thanks.

18. Hannibal

Understood Simon - I perhaps could have phrased it more delicately, but I think it conveys the impact of seeing such things regularly

19. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Ok well let me put it in simpler terms then... I do not advocate dealing any drug beyond pot which I consider pretty harmless. It is a terrible life and once I could get out I did but it doesn't take away the experience I gained from it. Some directly related to self defence.

Not boasting about the smashing/torching. It was fun at the time and maybe some of that comes through. People trying to rob me sucked. I was using that as an example of why certain weapons are valuable in a SD context. And again you don't understand what respect is in that environment. You're trying to bring your values to an entirely different culture and say that you understand it.

No. That's not where I'm coming from at all. I'm saying I've been in bad places with bad people and had to save my own skin and other people's. It gives me experience on that count and how to work within certain grey areas.
    I think in the case of defending yourself, especially if you're a PFC, sometimes that warrants bending the law a little because even if you're a law abiding, honest civie in this country smokey bear will do everything to keep anything too pointy out of your hands.
    And you really don't know what my view of the world is. You have a few little blurbs on an internet forum and you're filling in the rest for yourself. Beyond that, saying my view is invalid is like going to another country and saying "look at the dirty heathen savages." Judging with only outsider knowledge is incredibly ignorant.

Never hung out with those folks man. Not saying it didn't happen where I lived but there were certain things and people I kept my hands clean of... no pun intended.

Yeah, those guys exist. But there's some decent guys in there too man.

Right now you two are kind of like those kids who tossed dog crap on the vietnam vets when they returned. No understanding and all emotion. If you understand it from the inside you'll see that things aren't so black an white as they seem from an outsider's perspective. Some of the things are bad, no doubt, actually a fair bit of them are, but you still have to understand from the inside why things are the way the are. It's the only way to affect meaningful change and get the people to stop/reduce selling and taking drugs.

Kind of like the safe injection clinics. There was a huge public outcry but it's actually done good because someone took the time to understand from the inside rather than leveling their judgement as an outsider.

20. Hannibal

Sketco, no offence meant but I know far more about this than you do, so you you can hardly say I am coming from a position of ignorance