self defence or sport

Discussion in 'Judo' started by dawgofwar71, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm prett sure it was basically the middle of his forearm.
    Not the radial head (but I could be wrong).

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Indeed, if you watch the video you can see it bend pretty much in the middle. It's not the normal arm-bar injury at all, Sylvia's elbow was completely outside the lock.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I see what you're saying, but I'm not convinced that the fracture's below the neck of the radius,I think the visual effect comes from the fact that it shifted (you get a similar effect with badly displaced wrists,they look much more into the forearm than they actually are). The deformity is well into the proximal third and you'd expect it to break at the neck without direct trauma. I'll happily admit to being wrong though. As an odd aside, how come when you put Tim Sylvia X-ray into Google images you get loads of pics of topless women?

4. Ben Gash CLF

But anyway, this is getting away from my original point that it's not a big deal to shrug off a broken arm from an arm bar.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

how did I miss this thread? my go-to submission in Judo is usually choke

6. Ben Gash CLF

With the collar or the arm?

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Judo is cheap in money terms, a gi can be under 30 quid, and classes are often 3 or 4 quid a go.

8. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Oh please. :rolleyes:

I imagine my instructor was quite fit when he competed (quite well I'm told) and had trained at the Kodokan for many years, but he was a past middle-aged guy with a spreading center mass. Many of our senior instructors were, actually, and most did not still compete, particularly the older women. And our school usually won our competitions.

Rope. :evil:

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

For their age, even past their prime judo guys are insanly strong.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ulCWZoMEuE"]Strength of a 64 Yr Old Korean Judo Master - YouTube[/ame]

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'm not going to need a gi. :) I've far too many gi, two out on permanent 'loan'. :)

The main issue is that my DART class is at the same time as the Tuesday newaza class (my main area of interest - my stand up grappling cpmes from my Aikido background) and the Shotokan class I go to clashes with the Wednesday classes. At the moment I'm often out on Sunday and Monday nights and I'm not giving up another evening (Thursday) to external training (plus can't afford it right now - I don't have a salary).

If I take a break from the Shotokan occasionally then I might do the Wednesday class as it's only an hour after one of my classes, but the Shotokan is more of a priority as I'm writing Karate bunkai books.

The Judo Centre itself is a good place to train:
    http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/

11. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. Are you trying to tell me that old people aren't strong or generally in fighting shape? Hardly a revelation there. How does this have anything to do with what we're talking about?

12. python44

python44 Valued Member

Well I am not a Judoka but I have used an armbar in a real fight where I hyper extended the elbow to the point it popped several times and the guy screamed bloody murder but due to him being intoxicated it did not stop him from continuing his attack on me. I ended up choking him out to get this drunk to calm down. Armbars are to a gaurantee that it will make a person stop fighting. The best technique, which I have used numerous times in real fights, is choke. As a former street cop I have used the choke (carotid restraint) many many times with not one fail.

As far as throws or takedowns go well they were all done from a clinch where I obtained after avoiding the strike and shooting in. In BJJ we don't use a lot of throws compared to Judoka use.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Doubles on the choke from - although we use the term "Lateral Vascular Neck Restraint" (LVNR) because choke is not seen as being a "force neutral term". This probaly also stems from there is an "assault by choking" charge intensifier.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Do you also have to refer to "unconsciousness" as "compromised lucidity"? ;)

15. Hannibal

We aren't quite that bad...although I do like it!

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

This is where cross style terminology can get funny. To me you're describing a strangle, not a choke. :)

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I agree.

Strangle = cutting off the blood supply.

Choke = cutting of the oxygen.

At least that's always how I've described it.

18. Hannibal

Technically and biologically correct - but the connotation for a "strangle" is why it's usage declined. Typically it is a homicide/murder MO description, so casually saying "I applied a strangle" seemd pretty horrendous when you read it back

The "japanese strangle" was a popular term in pro-wrestling kayfabe (Kent Walton especially used it a lot)

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

You both are choking and strangling me with those posts :)