self defence or sport

Discussion in 'Judo' started by dawgofwar71, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dawgofwar71

dawgofwar71 New Member

hello everyone, i am considering joining a dojo near me. and i was just wondering,is there any real street defense in judo ? or is it clearly a sport??and please do not take offence to the Q...

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Would you want to fight a Judo black belt in the street?

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Don't get too caught up with labels. MMA is a sport, Boxing, Muay Thai, and Judo are all sports. If you gave me the choice of fighting a top level competitor in combat sports, or fighting a self-proclaimed self defence expert, I would much rather face the self defence expert.

Self-defence
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKmVPG36JEk"]Aikido Self Defence - How Would You Do in a Real Street Fight? - YouTube[/ame]

Sport
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5rnxsMvXM0"]Considered By Many The Greatest Round In Boxing History They Simply Named It "The War" - YouTube[/ame]

4. dawgofwar71

dawgofwar71 New Member

so are you more or less saying that you would need to be a black belt to be able defend yourself in the street?? and you answered a question with a question!!! that could more or less be said about that with any martial art by the way...

5. dawgofwar71

dawgofwar71 New Member

thanks for the reply Kave and i agree with you. the only thing is i dont want to spend my time doing a art and not have a defense for a kick or a punch! and also have to wait for a chance to have to grab the person i am defending myself from..once again no offence to any judo players.. i am just wondering because most if not all things i see are vids on sports

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Dwi Chugi

Dwi Chugi Valued Member

I hold a 4th Dan in Hapkido (very street effective) and I started training BJJ last year and Judo this past December. Most arts can be used as a self-defense art. It's the instructor/student relationship and how the art is trained.

Good luck in your journey.

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

So you think any art is street effective? Answered your own question.

You need some benchmark when talking of training, why not a black belt? Only takes a year or two to earn in Japan.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't be thick - that wasn't the point and you know it

Sport vs street is a non-argument. Those who stake their claim polemically on either side have an agenda

However if what you see when you turn up looks like the first video above, run away very quickly

9. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Check out Ronda Rousey, she is an olympic level Judoka who seems to have no problem applying her techniques while someone is trying to knock her out (admittedly in MMA, another sport setting). The tools Judo provides are definitely useful.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Pressure-testing with a realistic rule-set is the single most important thing in developing practical fighting ability. Not all sports have a realistic rule-set and not all non-sport clubs have an emphasis on pressure-testing. If you're concerned about street self-defense, and not all of us are, make sure you're getting both.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Would it be effective? You tell me. Many of the techniques seem to work just fine here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOV3qVIEFng"]Judo / Wrestling Throws and Trips in MMA - Volumes 1-5 - YouTube[/ame]

Also somewhat relevant and fun to watch:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtcb5sVtxxQ"]BEAUTIFUL JUDO THROW IN A STREET FIGHT!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Best defense against a Judoka? Don't let him grab you.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The highest level of the throwing art is to throw your opponent without grabbing on him. The moment that you "touch (not grab)", the moment that you throw. In order to achieve to this level, your contact points have to be precise and your timing has to be perfect. It's not easy to reach to that level.

At 0.17 of the following clip is a good example.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9trNykyD2Y"]Ashi Barai (Karate foot / leg sweep) - YouTube[/ame]

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Judo is excellent for self-defense. It got me out of a lot of scraps. Especially against some common person without grappling skills trying to grab you. Some people are too vague in stating Judo was created for a sporting art. Advance Judo has many quality self defense methods that people do not learn because they quit too early

14. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

Judo is a system of physical education that combines and provides the benfits of both sport and martial art.

The sporting aspects of judo teach you to throw a person who is 100% resisting you. This is far more effective training than learning to wrist lock or death touch a person who is 5% resisting you.

You do not have to wait for a chance to grab your opponent in a fight. You dominate the fight and force your favorite position (grappling) on them. If you have a person swinging punches you cover your jaw and close the distance and grab them. Effectively you just charge / shoot forward and grab. Keep your head tucked in close and throw. Yes they will hit you. But they will hit the top of your head or your arms and will do no damage at all. Once you have grabbed your attacker, they are finished. Judoka train to throw experienced judoka who are 100% resisting. Non judoka / wrestlers are easy to throw.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man that Hearns Hagler round still brings out the goosebumps.
    Is that the best round ever fought in any combat sport?

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I think that's an optimistic generalisation. I think a good JudoKa will be able to throw a non judoka/wrestler a fair proportion of the time, but to see it in terms of 'if they can throw a good judoka they can throw a non judoka' is to miss the point. A good judoka is trying to throw the other judoka, that's a different game plan to a non judoka. A hard hitter hitting you on the body or head, assuming they don't take you down before you get to shoot or grab, will change the game considerably unless you are used to working under those conditions.

Judo is a very good martial arts platform, but on its own it suffers from weaknesses, just like striking arts that don't grapple or throw.

17. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Well, if you consider taking someone and putting them on their head good self defense. Then judo is fantastic. Plus it's pressure tested.

18. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

Like I said your opponent would need to knock you out in the first one or two shots. Yes this can happen. However, once in a clinch if the person does not have significant grappling experience they are going down. The chance of a non grappler defending a throw is remote unless they are vastly bigger or stronger (e.g. 250lbs body builder vs 60kg judoka).

With regards strategy a Judoka only needs a complex mix of attacks and counters to deal with other judoka. Against non grapplers to grab and throw is very easy. Personally I have found it so easy to throw the chance of someone defending is beyond remote.

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Out of interest, in what format have you done this? Real self defence situations? Light sparring with other martial artists? Playground fun?

I ask because although I often see and take the opportunities for sweeps while hands on (with mixed results against resisting targets), I've yet to see anyone do a successful throw or shoot on one of my Sim Days. I've seen a successful scissor from the ground, but even for a very experienced Ju Jitsu instructor the safe opportunity to throw never seemed to be there. While this may be skewed by the fact that the majority of attendees have been from striking rather than grappling dominated arts, I'm not convinced that it is as easy as you seem to think. If I can get some of the third or fourth dan Judoka attending (we run them at a Judo Centre) it would be interesting to see the result).

If Smurf is on here I'd be interested in his perspective as to how easy or not it is to throw non grapplers who are striking.

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I've heard many "friend of a friend" type stories of judoka successfully subduing opponents without causing them real lasting damage. I would say that's a very useful and important skill in self defence. The police would, I imagine, look much more kindly on you dropping an attacker on his back then legging it, than they would if you punch or kick them in the head.