Self Defence classes for my wife....

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Jericho UK, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Jericho UK

Jericho UK New Member

Hi, my wife has recently started a nursing degree at Manchester Uni, which will eventually involve shift work (late nights), working at health centres in "dodgy" areas, and potentially coming in to contact with drug users etc .

To be honest, im worried for her safety. It was only yesterday i heard on the news about a serial sex attacker roaming near by areas, and other such stories are plentiful.

Ive recently started Krav Maga, and im trying to encourage her to take up some form of self defence. The univesity probably provides courses, but i was wondering what the forum would suggest.

Im looking for something thats quick to learn, practical, and would help her to defend herself against sudden attacks. I have provided her with some pepper spray, but it's probably no good if its in her bag.

Of course, she could easily come to Krav Maga with me, but its an all male class, probably too rough for her, and in all honesty, id rather go on my own.

What would you suggest?

Many thanks.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hi Jericho and Welcome to MAP!

I've moved your thread over to the "Womens Self Defense forum (http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)where you will find further information regarding self defense instruction for your wife.

Take a moment to check out the thread

Guideline for Choosing a Womens Self Defense Course ... and check your local phone listings or internet to find available instruction in your area.

Krav Maga wasn't too rough for JLo now was it? ;) ... but it is best to find a good basic SD instruction with Rape Escape focus. I do suggest that she formally train in a martial art style also only because if you don't "use it, you lose it" :D

3. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Much will depend on her attitude towards the subject. If she believes that there is a need for such things ~ excellent. If she's lucky she might have a SD source through work. Some hospitals are waking up to this and provide training either in house or have reputable sources they refer to.

As far as advice goes I would recommend that she reads up on the subject as much as possible in addition to actual physical training, as much of SD is mental rather than physical. Being able to diffuse situations with verbal is a skill that is very useful, especially when dealing with the sorts of people she will encounter in the hospital environment.

On a side note pepper spray is probably a very bad idea. Not only is it illegal in the UK, would probably go against the hospitals code of conduct, but as you have pointed out probably won't be much use in her bag.

4. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Judderman: Nice advice.

Personally I think your wife should look at the avoidance issue as Judderman said. Self defense is 99% stopping the attack happening.

In terms of the physical aspect. Do practical MAs - BJJ, wrestling, Muay Thai, boxing etc..

You say Krav Maga would be too rough as it's all male. But isn't her attacker most likely to be male.

There a lot of woman (and some men) who have fantasy ideas about fighting. In turn they want training that isn't too rough. But real life is extremely rough. Most of these courses (and a lot of these instructors) go into a fantasy world. What's the point?