Seismic tech breakthrough

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, Mar 30, 2012.

1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Geophysicists map underground rock structures by sending seismic waves, basically sound waves through the ground. Sensors record the seismic waves and computers process the recording to create images of the rock layers. However these images sometimes miss details. As a result multi million dollar exploration wells sometimes come up dry.
    Now the accuracy of seismic imaging could improve thanks a motion sensor, similair to those found in electronic devices such as a Wii game console. The censor, developed by HP and Shell is 1000 times more sensitive than those in the Wii and could help find new oil and gas fields more cost effectively.
    In conventional seismic surveys hundreds of kilometres of cable are needed to carry the infromation back to a recording unit, but the new sensors are small enough to fit in a radio transmitter and can send the infromation wirelessly, eliminating the need for cable. Eliminating the cable reduces the cost of seismic surveys.
    If the censors are mass produced costs could be reduced even further. they could be deployed in far larger numbers than conventional seismic sensors. Sensors are to seismic processing like pixels to digital cameras. The more there are the higher the image resolution.
    If the underway testing is successful, and i hope it is, the wireless seismic sensors could be planted over an exploration area of up to 1,000 square kilometres. They would pick up far more reading than conventional seismic sensors and give us a clearer picture of drilling targets.
    This could be revolutionary new technology.

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

heres a friendly suggestion, when a thought pops into your head, an event happens during your day, you see something, you read something, you talk about something with a friend etc maybe it doesn't always require the creation of a thread on a martial arts forum ?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    Xue Sheng likes this.
  3. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I'm sharing infromation about new technology in the energy field. You can make of it whatever you want.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Because what we have here is a person curious in martial arts, but somehow will not commit.

What we have here is a person who loves to discuss anything apart from the subject matter.

It will be like a martial artist signing up with a ballet forum and continues to talk about fighting or attempts to talk about ballet from little knowledge or no actual experience.

That said, I still enjoy "some" of her posts/threads which is better than "0" Post Members.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. 47MartialMan

How about posting this on a "Energy Forum" and a Ballet Forum as well? :love:

6. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Don't worry i will.

7. 47MartialMan

Just yanking at ya in a strange and crazy mood way......:p

8. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

To be fair martial man, this is the "off topic" section of the martial arts board. She can post whatever she wants in this section that isn't to do with martial arts.

Sounds like an interesting area of development at any rate. Vampgirl, dyou have any links for further reading? Where did you hear about this?

9. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

You may find this interesting www.shell.com/home/content/innovation/meeting_demand/surface/seeing_beneath_the_seabed/

10. Thank you for this "infromation" ;)

Osu!

11. 47MartialMan

Of course.....I said I was yanking at her...from a strange-crazy mood

12. 47MartialMan

really.......:zzz:

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Take a wild guess.

Lowered prices. Heh. You crack me up.

15. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

It could do both.

16. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

BTW this article doesn't come from me. It comes from Dirk Smit, Shell Chief Scientist Geophysics.

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Perhaps you should be a bit cleared about crediting your sources in future then? :)

18. 47MartialMan

Why post a article unless you are willing to discuss its validity?

19. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I thought i made that clear. I think its valid, although the testing will tell the tale.

20. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

You could even say *puts on shades* it's ground breaking.

I'll get my coat.