Segal/Anderson Silva

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fudo-shin, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

2. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

This is what we call a symbiotic relationship.

Whether both symbiotes gain from the relationship is another matter.

3. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Yeah I saw this yesterday. It's interesting to say the least.

4. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

5. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

If it was in the aikido forum why waste another post, putting it here. When you can talk about it where it is already posted on this site???

6. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

well not everone that visits the aiki forum visits the ninjutsu forum.

I don't really think its all promo, probably some. I just viewed it having to do with traditional arts(Ninpo being a traditional art also) and mma arts together rather than the usual negative type of feelings. Nothing more.

7. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

Like I said earlier, not everyone visits every forum, I didn't know about it in the Aiki forum until later, I was told about it. :)

8. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

I think it has a lot to do with ninpo/ninjutsu and all traditional Japanese arts. Here you have a premier UFC fighter learning from a traditional artist, and folks whether you like it or not, this can help the way traditional arts are perceived by a lot of the MMA crowd. Does it really matter if it is the art we practice? Heck, if I can sift through countless of posts in a recent thread about freakin' grammar and kilts in the ninjutsu forum, then surely this one isn't so bad.

9. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Enson Inoue is a taijutsu yondan.

kikentai, I think that it was posted here because the ninpo forum is sort of its own community.

10. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

What, a slightly dysfunctional one I suppose?

11. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

More or less, but one most of us are quite attached to anyway.

12. Manga

Manga Moved On

Kikentai said - "What, a slightly dysfunctional one I suppose?"

Absolutely but we also keep the fun in dysfunctional :hat:

13. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Are you kidding?

This premier UFC fighter isn't learning from a traditional artist. He's learning from a socially maladapted fat guy who made a whole bunch of sh*tty movies.

How exactly can this help the way "traditional arts" are perceived by a lot of the MMA crowd?

Why would you or anyone else care how traditional arts are "perceived" by anyone, especially considering MMA is a sport and not a traditional art?

Just because certain threads in the ninjutsu forum stray off-topic, does that mean, for example, I can talk about "Star Wars" and any tangential connections that it may have with traditional arts?

No one is forcing you to sift through "countless" posts; you certainly have the option of doing something else with your time.

I also posed the question to someone else: what does a clip of some fat guy who at one time trained in Aikido working out with an MMA fighter have to do with ninjutsu?

If you can prove that it actually does then I'll give you one of these: :cool:

In the meantime, why don't you guys try discussing this over at the Koryu forum? If you are so enamored with "traditional" arts blending with MMA then I'm sure those people wouldn't mind.

Just playing devil's advocate.

- Mark Spada

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Riiiight let me have a crack at that :D

Steven Seagal was in Under Seige with Tommy Lee Jones

Tommy Lee Jones was in Space Cowboys with Clint East Wood

Clint Eastwood was is Mystic River with Kevin Bacon

Kevin Bacon was in She’s Having a Baby with Alec Baldwin

Alec Baldwin was in The Hunt for Red October with Sean Connery

Sean Connery was in You Only Live Twice which had Hatsumi sensei as a “technical adviser”, for want of a better term.

15. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Don Draeger was Big Sean's teacher for the fight scenes.Steven Seagal "probably" saw the movie.

It was set in Japan where Toshiro Mifune lived and Steven Seagal said he taught Toshiro Mifune all he knew about swordwork for the Challenge.

BUT SEkiya shihan told me that Sugino taught Mifune swordwork so who do you believe??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  16. Manga

Manga Moved On

Ahh The Challenge! I love that movie and wish I could find a copy on DVD.

Is it possible that both stories are correct? "Steve Segal" as he is listed in the credits might very well have passed on some technical training while serving as choreographer for that particular film but Sugino could have taught Mifune swordwork at another time or perhaps even in parallel (though not connected to the film's production)?

17. koyo

Sugino shihan was a master of Kashima shinto ryu and studied Katori Shinto ryu. He "taught" Mifune a mixture of these arts and "corrupted" them into Aragoto (unsophisticated) swordsmaship to fit in with the character Mifune was playing.. Yojimbo.

A character he played in four films..Yojimbo,Sanjuro,Ambush at Blood Pass and Zatoichi meets Yojimbo.

This was in the hayday of samurai films decades before the Challenge.

To be frank Seagal's sword is not so good at all except in his own mind.

How's this for a jaw dropping moment. Sekiya shihan was in my home and we were watching Seven Samurai when he mentioned that Sugino a friend and fellow student of his had done the sword choreography for a number of Kurosawa films.

Below Scott Glenn faces off with the great Mifune.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  18. Manga

Manga Moved On

I'm guessing then that Seagull has exaggerated the amount of technical input he gave to Mifune during filming of The Challenge to the point where he thinks he actually counts as his instructor. What a melonhead.

19. koyo

Steven Seagal= exaggeration.

20. Manga

Manga Moved On

Wow, excellent image of Mifune and Scott Glenn :cool:

I love watching Scott Glenn movies. I only watched Vertical Limit a few nights ago in fact, he's full of epics :star:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.