Seen any good movies lately?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GojuKJoe, Mar 4, 2006.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Well, anyone seen any good movies lately they'd like to discuss?

A movie I saw recently was the film Dark City, which I had been wanting to see for years, so I went out and bought the DVD, and it came onto the sci-fi channel a week later = pain in the backside.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film, it had some entertaining action in it and also had enough mystery to make you think about what the story might be. All in all, I suppose I found it quite predictable, but not too bad, so that only really served to feed my ego when I figured out the story and was proven right by the end. I found it entertaining, and would recommend it to any sci-fi fan who hasn't seen it yet (it's about 10 years old or something, maybe less).

2. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

The last decent thing I saw was "Batman Begins"..

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I did exactly the same thing about 6 months ago! It is a film that leaves you with sorta mixed feelings. It's quite clever in a pre-matrix sort of way and the direction and cinematography are good (as you'd expect from Alex Proyas) but it's just not quite as good or quite as clever as you feel it should be.

Still worth seeing though.

The last good film I saw was "Munich" - it's a little long, but very engrossing and a good interplay of characters.

4. neb

neb Banned Banned

My main disagreement with Batman Begins was just how shoddily shot and choregraphed the fight scenes where.

And, in all honesty, it took itself way too seriously in my opinion, I mean, it's batman for crying out loud. A man who dresses like a bat, with his trusted scrawny teenage sidekick who makes cuss words out of general items: 'holy buttered muffin batman!'

My fave film of recent was Rapid Fire with Brandon Lee kickin major wing chun/junfan/muay thai ass! The plot almost drowned in cliches, actors were miscast, dialogue was illplaced, but damn does Brandon Lee know how to keep you watching! :D - really excellent martial arts demonstrated (well, for it's time anyway).

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

My Sassy Girl, it's a south korean romantic comedy. I've been recommending it to just about everyone since I saw it :D

6. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Brotherhood [Taegukgi].

If you liked band of brothers and saving private ryan then this is a 'watch me now'

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Any of you Korean film fans seen "Lady Vengeance" yet? OldBoy is one of my favourite films so I've got high hopes for this one!

8. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I didn't like Old Boy really. I really enjoyed the film for the most part, but then it was ruined in my opinion when it started with all the incest stuff.

Another good one I watched recently was Bang Rajan, from Thailand. It's (based on a true story) about a small village who holds off the Burmese forces for something like 5 months.

I really enjoyed the whole film, it had some great battle scenes and a decent story.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

:eek: I never thought I'd find another male who liked that movie. Look at us all in touch with our feminine side. :D I loved that movie but there appears to be a American remake on it's way...

10. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

That utterance came from that awful 60's series..They called in "camp", I called it garbage..Not even worth mentioning it..I STILL like "Batman Begins" over all the other attempts...

11. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

Oh my god, PLEASE save yourself $8.50 + food, DO NOT SEE ULTRAVIOLET in theaters, it is the worst movie i have ever seen, the movie is unrealistic, almost half of it is computer animated, and the plot is horrible. The movie is about some amazing vampire lady who beats 10,0000 guys up while trying to deliver some case, then she opens the case and its a kid...A KID INSIDE OF A SUITCASE?!?! thens she saves the kid with her super ninja skills and kills the president with a flaming sword. the best and funniest part in the movie was when i dropped my popcorn on the floor and it spilled. i seriously was bored in that movie i could have fallen asleep if i wanted to, but i didnt.

ok so the best movie i have seen latley was 40 yr old virgin