seeking advise

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by lycurgos, Nov 16, 2009.

1. lycurgos

lycurgos New Member

Hello

I am new to teaching,my sensei moved away and as senior student i took over teaching the class in his absence. One of my students is an older gentleman that is legally blind. Our style is Hakkoryu jujitsu and I know i can teach him basic joint folding,posture,stance and so on. Just wondering if any more experienced teachers out there have had a student with this impairment and if they would be so kind as to offer any advise.

2. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

hello

sure PM me and I will try and help

3. Hello,

Would it be possible to post details of this on this thread?

I understand that individuals might like to keep personal details out of a public thread, but I think alot of people could potentially benefit from your advice here.

I have worked with people with visual impairments and I am particularly interested in this topic.

VFB.

4. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

Well, I have taught a lot of yudo, wrestling, and hapkido drills where I have my eyes closed and it helps a ton. The trick is that these three disciplines have one thing in common.....they are "Feeling Arts". In other words you learn them the best by feeling them. They are partner workout arts. JuJitsu is not any different.

If you think about these disciplines they are equilibrium and physics based. Moreso than the TKD and Karate arts. Could you be more specific about where you feel limited in being able to instruct this gentleman? Break down the techniques very slowly. Reps are very important. It is hard, but slow and steady wins the race every time. The secret is patience and persistence.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010