Seeking advice. Is an apprenticeship possible?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Blindhawk, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Blindhawk

Blindhawk New Member

I've decided to finally learn either Tai Chi or Baguazhang, but I want to do it in a more involved way, by a living in and working for the school or master directly (cookin, cleaning, maintenance, ect) . I'd love to do it when my sailing job ends in October though the winter. I just have no idea if this is possible or who to talk to. Traveling is not an issue, but continued expenses would be a limiting factor.

Thank you for any help offered .

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its a romantic notion, but highly unlikely

Get another job, find a club and train dilligently. Discipleships are still around, just not how you picture them

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Can i ask, where did you get the notion of there being such a thing as an apprenticeship in kung fu?

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I heard the Japanese ones historically involved a substantial amount of sodomy and... Sword polishing. Can't say I'd be game. Although it does sound better than a zero hrs contract at minimum wage so never say never.

5. littletiger321

littletiger321 New Member

seeking martial art apprentiship's

Yes even today these still exist. For one Dong Fang tai chi has such a thing and so do many other martial arts these days. It's a little more updated these days. Not so much master slave relationship. You have to commit to your instructor's methods and this commitment is shown on a regular basis. But yes it still exists in many clubs these days.:bang:

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I know its not uncommon in Aikido schools in the modern world if that's of interest to you?

7. littletiger321

littletiger321 New Member

That's of great interest to me. It's good to know this is still going on pretty much every where.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Movies and novels!

Although, old school "closed door" students were similar back in ancient times (apparently). However, when training at a old kwoon (something similar to a temple) students would help with the post workout cleaning.
    Something that Japanese students (and some BJJ schools i been told) still do, but mostly lost in today's training.

When I was training MMA, I would offer to help with the mopping of the mats but the coach liked doing it themselves.

9. Mushroom

Just adding to this as well. Most Tattoo Apprenticeships also work in similar ways, essentially the assistant to the mentor as well as doing shop clean up etc. In exchange for learning the skills and trade.

In KF I was never taught via closed doors, unless you count my Dad teaching me when I was about 10.

10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

For Taijiquan and Baguazhang....does not exist.

You can pay your money and go train at Chenjiaguo for as long as you pay. you can go get a job in Beijing, if you have a bachelors degree, and some of the places that higher you will provide you with a place to live. And you best be fluent in, at least mandarin. Then find a sifu and train Baguazhang. You can also go live and train at a place in Hong Kong and learn Wing Chun, they have dorms set up just for that, but again you are going to have to pay...I recommend knowing Cantonese there.... But what you are looking for does not exist.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You've decided to start to learn a martial art and your first thought was to become an indentured servant to an instructor?

I'd suggest putting martial arts on hold and sorting out the other aspects of your life first, because whatever hole you have in your life wont be filled by an aging chinese wizard.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.......HEHEHEHEHE

[​IMG]

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

After the apprenticeship, then if you can lift a hot urn with your forearms, you will be ready to leave

On a serious note:

If one is looking to do labor for a school, then ;

Labor=Paying Job=Paying Teacher=Simple Math

14. Xue Sheng

You forget he must get the pebble from the masters hand first

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1wjvP-raOI"]GRASSHOPPER - YouTube[/ame]

15. 47MartialMan

What about walking in the paper without rearing it?

16. Mushroom

Quite easy actually, never had to look after a paper bag like that before.

17. Xue Sheng

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBIGv9atPo"]Kung Fu Shaolin Kwai Chang Caine - YouTube[/ame]

18. 47MartialMan

WALK THE RICE PAPER

19. Xue Sheng

SHEESH!! DO I have to do everything :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p9NTo6BWvs"]Kung Fu - Rice Paper Walk - YouTube[/ame]