See if you can add somthing to my workout!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Randel, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Randel

Randel Valued Member

So its not much of a workout, more of a set of exercises to do throughout the day. I was wandering if anyone could suggest anything that could be improved, changed or altered?
    So...
    Monday,
    Weighted pull ups, 5x5
    weighted wide arm pressups, 5x5
    weighted tricep pressups, 5x5
    weighed chin ups, 5x5 (if im not to tired :rolleyes: )
    weighted situps 5x5
    another abs exercise
    30 mins cardio
    45 mins kickboxing

Tues
    The same as above but with high reps and no weights.
    30 mins cardio
    45 mins kickboxing

Wed
    Nothing!

Thurs
    Same as Tues
    30 mins cardio
    45 mins kickboxing

Fri
    Same as Moin
    30 mins cardio

Sat
    Nothing!

Sun
    40 - 60 mins bike ride

So yeh, looknig at it seems pretty simple, its all pretty much the same. so basicly is there any other exercses i should add? Maybe some lower body exercises? Am i doing enoguh cardio, basicly jsut rip it apart !

Cheers! Jack :Angel:

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The first thing I'd say... if you're looking to have this workout geared towards kickboxing... then you've got way too much focus on cardio... which I'm assuming is aerobic. But that's not gonna quite be what you wan't as kickboxing - much like Muay Thai and Boxing is roughly 70% anaerobic and 30% aerobic. So what your lacking is the anaerobic part of your workout.

Sprints and some sort if HIIT routines worked in would be good. Long runs are ok for marathon runners (a long steady pace - aerorbic) but don't have much real carry over for the short intense bursts favored by kickboxers, boxers and Nak Muays (short bursts of intensity - anaerobic).

I also don't see anything to strengthen your posterior chain... where most of your power comes from in a sport like kickboxing, Muay Thai or boxing. The posterior chain is the hamstrings, the glutes, the hips and the lower back. The vast majority of you power in kicks and punches is actually generated from the ground up and is usually drawing on the hips for much of it's power.

You could easily work in some rotational power exercises as well. Russian Twists are a great sit up type exercise as are Rotational Squat Plate Twists.

You might consider working in more full body exercises - compound or multiple joint exercises. Full Contact Twists are another one that are great.

Again KB like MT and Boxing is leg sport.... if you haven't got legs... you're going down. You want to work in squats and lunges. A forward lunge with a medicine ball rotation worked in at the lunge part of the exercise is brilliant for rotational conditiong and for balance work.

Anyhow - how's that for mishmashed enough... lol... hope some of it made sense.

edit: one thing that's not in there... pre-hab. That's right pre-habilitation. Strengthen those rotator cuffs before you blow one out. Save yourself a world of misery. Throwing punches is hard on the shoulders - no doubt about it... build up your posterior deltoids (back of the shoulder) and the rotator cuff muscles. Do some reading and do some searching on MAP it's been covered a lot and is mondo importante. ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  3. Randel

Randel Valued Member

Okay cheers, i forgot to say, on the Tuesday and Thursdays it HIIT (or for me LIIT hehe)
    There was some great advice there cheers! I jsut need to sort it into somthing more understandable for my undersized brain.
    I also forgot to mention wehat i wanted to imrpove, my main aim, as you said is to get into a pretty good shape for kickboxing. My secondry aim is to get a decent enough body (vein i know :D ) so basicly a set of full pecks, cut abs etc etc.. Yeh... Basicly what every man wants!!
    So i sohudl add maybe some, deadlifts and squats.. Bearing in mind i dont actualy know what dead lifts are :eek: jsut that ehy work your legs. Anything else, maybe i should take somthing out?

4. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

5. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Add some curls.

:Angel:

6. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

One set of pressups isnt enough? If you are changing the pressups maybe do more of them or switch one for another exercise on one day, and alternate which type of pressups you do?

7. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Do it in the squat rack for safety, and make sure you feel the pump :rolleyes:

8. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

You look bored on Saturdays. Throw in 2 full body routines. Say an AM session using 5x5 and a PM session using 2x15. Top it off with a little bag work and then head off to Hooters to show off your new 'guns'. That should help keep you entertained.

9. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Saying that deadlifts mainly work your lower back is like saying that the power in a punch comes mainly from your wrists. Yes, it's important, for the real power comes from so many other larger muscles. In the case of the deadlift, it's the glutes, hamstrings, quads, abs, mid/low/upper back.

Randel, is there a reason you're only using bodyweight exercises? What equipment do you have access to? Anything home, or do you have a gym membership? That's going to have a bit of an influence on what we can suggest.

Also, I'd do your Thursday workout on Friday, and your Friday workout on Thursday. Basically, you'll repeat each workout 3 days later (same workout Monday and Thursday, and same workout Tuesday and Friday). That would be a better way to manage your recovery, instead of waiting a full 5 days to repeat your Monday session.

10. Randel

Randel Valued Member

Errr i've got, a pull up bar, a bar bell, 2 dumbells and 50kg of weights, a bike, some running shoes and a skipping rope :)
    See what you can make up from that :) :D

11. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Check out the stickies...

How about you see what you can make up, quit expecting people to spoonfeed you every little piece of information.
    Start doing some research man :bang:
    Do you're homework and then ask more specific questions, good luck.

Here's just one spot to get enough information to keep you reading for years:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40033

Sorry for sounding harsh but I got zero tolerance for this kind of stuff. Patience, ya, tolerance, no.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  12. Randel

Randel Valued Member

Ok, if you'l notice, i HAVE made myself a workout, and i am also asking people how i could possibly IMPROVE it. So dont bitch at me to do somthing ive already done. Theres no need to be mean about it, you could just not say anything or give me some ideas, that would havve been allot more constructive.

By the way, i also have a heavyish bag that could ber useful, how long and how many times a week should i use it?

13. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

you're dumb.

randel - one armed DB snatches. fun and easy to learn.

14. SickDevildog

I know overreacted, thats why I said sorry.
    I was talking about your deadlift comment, atleast you're doing better than some people that expect a quick fix for everything.

Try this article for some good bagwork routines.
    http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym24.htm

Roger.

15. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Pistols

Hand stand press ups

Plyometrics

have fun!

16. Randel

Randel Valued Member

No worries Slick devil :)
    Thanks so on mondays and fridays i'll do 5x5 of,
    weighted pushups (cl +wa), situps, pull ups and chinups.
    As well as deadlifts and squats.
    On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays i'll do high reps till failure, of pushups (cl, wa, dimond and handstand)
    Situps, leg raises, jackknifes and pulses (these probably have another name... but meh.)
    Squat jumps and lateral box jumps.
    3x2min round of bagwork, do you thnik thats enough, im still kinda unfit :( )

I think that covers it all, i'll also be doing biking on Sundays and mondays, jogging on mondays and fridays and HIIT on tuesdays and thursdays. Oh and kickbxoing 3 times a week!
    That should be all, look good?

17. SickDevildog

You got a good excercise selection there, but monday might be overkill.
    It might help breaking each session down and giving each one a theme.
    Example:

Day 1- Whole Body strength
    Oly lifts
    Bear
    DLs
    Squats
    Farmer walks
    Waiter walks
    etc.
    (not saying to use all of them in one session, eventhough you could have 3 or more sessions a day if you got the time)

Day 2- GPP
    BW Circuits (like you're doing on Tue, Thur and Sun)
    Mountain Climbers
    Mountain Jumpers
    Starjumps
    Squat Jumps

Day 3- Strength - Upper body emphasis
    Bench
    Row
    Pullups
    Weighted Pushups
    Mil Press
    Bench
    etc.

Day 4- Conditioning - Intervalls
    Tabata
    Windsprints
    Minute Drills
    Bagwork
    etc

Day 5-Strength - Lower body emphasis
    Squats
    Lunges
    Stepups
    Good Mornings
    DLs
    etc.

Day 6-Complex training (plyometrics)
    Backsquat - SquatJump
    Floor press(got no bench) - Clapping pushups
    Box Jumps
    Depth Jumps
    etc.

Day 7-active restoration
    Forms
    Maintenance work
    Skills
    Chikung

I know you're busy with MA's and life, this is just an example of what I'm doing atm since I dont have a MA school to go to :eek:

As far as core excercises, I'd do them every day, just vary the intensity.

Good luck with your training, don't get the paralysis by anlysis syndrome by trying to get it all perfect cause it won't happen.
    Keep it simple, work hard and you'll get where you want to be.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  18. Randel

Randel Valued Member

Wow Slick! Great list, although maybe abit much for my lil' body, im going to try adn adapt that and fit it with my orginal workout... To crate the ultumate workout!!
    Thats allot :)

19. SickDevildog

LOL no problem man, what are the goals you want to achieve withb your workout?

20. Randel

Randel Valued Member

Well, as vein (sp?) as it is i want a decent pair of pecks, as gals in me school seem to like that at the moment.. :rolleyes:
    But thats more secondry to streangth in my Martial Arts, so harder punches, more endurance, you get the idea.
    I tried weighted squats for the first time on Monday, and finaly realised what a squat rack is for :D