secure USB

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TheMadhoose, Jul 23, 2010.

1. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Ok i have 2 memory sticks i got from a rep at work problem is they have a password protection to stop unwanted eyes seeing the content as they are geared to NHS employees. How do i format the whole disk to remove this function as its not letting me remove the partiotion with the security part on it. so that i can use it to watch movies on my dvd player and xbox?

2. RhadeConstantin

RhadeConstantin King of Badasses

try opening up my computer right click the icon and select format.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. TheMadhoose

Tried that i can only format the main partiation not the part with the security features

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

If you're using Windows try Run -> diskmgmt.msc - right click on the flash drive and Format

5. TheMadhoose

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

If it is a secure drive and is used for government work you and your friend could be breaking several laws. Is NHS a government agency? I'd give them back no matter what and go buy one, they aren't that expensive.

7. TheMadhoose

Wow calm down there dont panic they are given away by drugs reps when they try to convince us to use their medications.

8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Just checking. The government tends to be kind of funny about stuff like that.

There may be some low level format utilities out there you could use. They would "strip it to the metal" so to speak. At that point you would need to format the drive using windows to get it back to a usable state.

I haven't needed to do something like this for a while so I'm not sure what would be good to use.

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Google this:

low level format usb drive

It came up with a bunch of ways to do this.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

This why you should always have a Linux bootable CD or USB stick handy if you're a Windows user. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ download the iso image and burn it to a disc. Boot from the disc and use gparted to format your USB stick. Just be careful not to accidentally format your Windows partition.

We really wouldn't want that to happen :evil:

11. TheMadhoose

No need for a bootable Linux disk the kids have linux netbooks :cool: cheers ill givi it a go

12. TheMadhoose

No Joy gparted is not getting rid of the login tool. formats the storage part no trouble at all tho

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Seriously? How are the partitions setup? Is it one big partition or more than one? Did you try deleting them all?

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

You could always leave it near a nice strong magnet, if it's still there after that it's probably been etched into the drive itself!

Also what does the drive look like when hidden files are turned on?

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yeah that's my fear.