"Secrets of the Viking Sword" (Nova)

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Kuma, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Very cool Nova show on Netflix right now. It's all about the little known Ulfberht swords which were extremely advanced for their time. It also shows the construction of a replica using what they believe were the methods of the time. Worth looking into.

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I've seen it. It was very nice.
    It's around on youtube as well.

Given the complete lack of understanding of metallury and chemistry at the time, the knowledge of how to make such steel was a happy fluke. I've included a short explanation about crucible steel in my article which is currently being reviewed by a fellow smith.

It's one of the things I am going to give a try when I finally have a floor in my smithy, though it'll be more of an experiment than anything else. It takes quite some skill (or luck) to turn up with an ingot that is usable. Too little carbon and you get mild steel, too much, and you get cast iron.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I think smithing is awesome and am jealous of you. PM me a link to your article once it's up.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Considering Norse were known to break open graves to obtain such weapons (and thus risk the supernatural wrath of the occupant), goes to show you the quality of them.

I read about a well-respected Japanese sword-polisher (or maybe a smith, I don't recall) examined a surviving repolished Germanic dark ages blade, and marvelled at the quality and construction of it. He was surprised to learn that it was found in the grave of a simple warrior, not that of a king as he first assumed.

Best regards,

-Mark

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The theories they shared were pretty interesting. They believed the crucible steel used in the authentic Ulfberht swords came from Iran due to the Volga trade route. They didn't seem to have anything conclusive on where the swords were made and by whom.