"Secret" techniques?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by pakarilusi, Jan 2, 2011.

1. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I've done three different styles of Silat and have had my share of being taught "Secret" techniques...

To be honest, some were good but nothing ground shaking really...

Some of these are just common practice in other Martial Arts.

Some of it were not even moves or techniques, just tips or "petua"...

And some were just downright horrible techniques. Really. :)

Have you had similar experiences in Silat?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. muaythai-mate

muaythai-mate Valued Member

care to elaborate on these techniques.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well to be honest, "secret" in martial arts often just means common sense. I don't think Silat is any different. Like you could learn how to punch for years, then someone tells you a secret, which is really just common sense, to improve your technique. Kind of disappointing to think of an ancient secret passed down as just common sense. The whole reason it is secret is basically something to do with, you got to put in the time first, then when you are ready, secrets will be passed on to you.

I was told of a secret Okinawan kick, which was basically kicking the throat with the big toe. It was kept secret so that they could use it. If everyone knew the secret, then it would no longer be a surprise. This is one of those secrets that would be of little value to most because the conditioning of the toes for use as a striking surface has to be done all the time... if you stop conditioning them, you lose them as a good weapon. For those that conditioned their toes, it could be a deadly and effective kick to an enemy that didn't expect it coming.

Also Judo is full of good secrets, I mean throwing a guy is effective, but throwing them in a way that twists the spine on impact, can be deadly. All sorts of ways to throw someone and land an elbow into the ribs or a forearm across the throat, or jerk them up so they land and break their tailbone. The whole dynamics of ukemi changes to one of countering instead of breakfalls and protecting the vitals and spine at all times. IMHO.

These aren't really secrets but I would say are hidden... you don't see these things with the naked eye unless you already are in the know. Those in the know can spot this stuff, others will just not see it.

So it is kind of important to keep things secret, just so you can use it against others and they won't be expecting it... even if it is just common sense in a lot of situations.

4. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Wouldn't be a secret then, would it? :p

Anyway, it's difficult to elaborate on techniques in words as I would have to show you visually...

Maybe, one of these days I'll youtube a Video of these secrets...

MAYBE. :p

Again, there are no real "Earth shattering" moves or tips here really... If you've done 5 years of any Martial Art on a proper basis, you would understand most of them.

As Rebel correctly pointed out, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears"... So to speak. :)

5. muaythai-mate

muaythai-mate Valued Member

i was honestly just trying to figure out if you were just some dude trying to make a name for yourself.

6. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Haha... And you would be right to suspect anything you read on Internet MA Forums, my friend...

My background in Silat is in Silat Harimau Berantai under Jak Othman, Silat Cekak Hanafi and my family's Silat (no name, just passed on to me...). Have also done TKD, BJJ and JKD/Kali on the side...

I'm in Malaysia, a Malay guy, so Silat came naturally btw... There is a member here who knows who I am.

Anyway, not trying to make a name for myself really. I feel that Silat or any MA or any ability at fighting (imposing your will) on to others is NOT something to be proud of. It just shows you're good at hurting others, justified or not.

Learning empathy and your limits (and overcoming your limits), that is by far more important in Martial Arts training, especially Silat. As it involves weapons. You don't have to be very good to be effective with a blade imo...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. LCC

LCC Valued Member

I hate "secret" techniques. I understand that showing certain advanced techniques / applicatrions etc to beginners who haven't grasped fundementals can be distracting for them. But calling them "secret" as opposed to "advanced" or "stuff you'll learn later" is lame. In some cases though I often wonder whether it's just bad translation. With "secret" just being a more marketable translation of many possible translations.

8. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I think it is just marketing, knowingly or not. Keep the "carrot" dangling just out of reach.

Worse, the secret is just only for the select few... "The Chosen Ones", as cliche as it is...

But that's life...

9. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

secrets are often higher level evolution of basics fine tuned and made to be mysterious and often to be sold or held out to be salivated over.

10. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Yes. Nicely stated there. :)

11. AnxietyCoachJoh

AnxietyCoachJoh Valued Member

hen it is not a secret????.. they just saying that so that you will be interested and be excited for your training for you to be enjoy.... :D

12. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Yup, it's just a marketing technique really... :)

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

If they are secret, are the silat ninja's gonna come and get you for revealing all?

14. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Silat Ninjers! I haven't heard that one yet!

I dunno, I haven't revealed them secrets yet... But now you got me worried... :p

15. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I have a secret technique....but I'm not telling you what it is :)

Some techniques are secret to stop idiots hurting other people for example striking someone in a point which will result in heart stoppage. Look around you, would you like everyone to know how to do this?

Some techniques are secret to prevent you from hurting yourself i.e. some internal practices can result in health problems if not done correctly by someone with the correct mind type should we say.

Then there are techniques that are secret and if you really trace it back it boils down to ego and not wanting others to have ability's that you may have.

16. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Some techniques and dare I say whole systems are so secret that they were never even taught to the person holding back on them.

17. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

You mean divine inspiration Wali, surely you don't believe in such a thing!

18. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

A lot of people in Silat do believe in "divinely inspired" movements. Really...

19. invisi

invisi Valued Member

You know there should be a code of conduct for implying or even applying 'secret techniques'. In most cases you don't need to know these. Masters will teach his closest students these techniques. Hopefully they will be kept a secret with a true master. If you got to put someone out; there are arrest holds and in the worst cases knockout (concussion) to your opponent. Just have to work a bit harder.

Obtaining inner peace and tranquility; just learning to control yourself and not others.

I agree though, silat is a combat art, and a bit dirty at that.

You don't need to know about how to tap and zap. Its too dangerous. Its dangerous in the wrong hands.

20. Shihabudeen

Shihabudeen Valued Member

Peace and blessings be with you all,

I asked my teacher once why it is I could not speak and had to keep everything secret and this is what he said,"Some of you need something to be secret about, its our secrets that make us individuals, silat is like making love to your wife... there are no words to describe its romance, chivalry and sacred divine essence, you do not speak of such things..." any words you utter will be unable to express the spiritual truth in all its beauty... just as true prayer cannot be spoken or expressed in words... its a deep yearning and outpouring of spiritual love... and worshipfulness... so a true art has aspects you cannot gift to someone whose spiritual station or level is unprepared to recieve them.... if you speak to such a person you can harm them by keeping them from a sacred truth for they will not understand... just as to claim a power or spiritual station you don't have is to be forever prevented from ever reaching it... by the Higher Power that is All Knowing and the true source of such wisdom, He will cut you off... and then whoever follows you will be astray cut off from that sole sourcing as you are... anyone who claims such secrets don't exist are like unspiritual people arguing against the fruits of the spirit... they will be forever standing at the shore of the spiritual ocean trying to describe the life within it... yet without ever be able to, unless they dive beneath the waves... and become forever changed in the dive...