SD situation 8/21/05

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by MaxG, Aug 22, 2005.

1. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

I thought I'd try something new and start up a weekly self defense situation topic.

Now what the intent is that I'll post a situation and everyone else has to describe a way out of it or a technique they would use in that particular situation. You can make it short or long but remember that short answers tend to have people asking alot of questions. On the other hand don't go overboard with the details or else people will just skip it.

Situation: You are at an ATM. You're in a hurry and fail to scope the area for anyone (Hey we're all human. We can't be on guard all the time). You finish taking your money and card and turn around to find someone standing right behind you. He takes one step forward and shoves a gun into your stomach.

What do you do?.

It might be easier if you list the steps.
    example:

1. grab the peach
    2. pull up, simultaneously palm striking face
    3. etc. etc.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Smile, blow him a kiss give him the money and run!

But later on, put on my batman suit (this gives me my power) hunt him down and kill him voila!

3. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo New Member

1. Try to remain calm
    2. Hold the money up so he can see it.
    3. Throw the money in one direction and run in the other.
    4. Run in a zig-zag patter and try to get around a corner or put a car or other
    barrier between he and I.
    5. Hope the security camera on the ATM recorded it so the police can catch him.

Sorry, probably not the "tough guy" response some people might be looking for, but hey, i've got kids who don't need to lose me over $20/$40/$60 bucks fm the ATM.

4. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Just give him my freakin money... no running, no tricks with my wallet, just give it to him. If that's all he wants he can have it. Like Marco, I've got a family and even if I didn't I'm comfortable with the number of holes in my body. I don't need any more.

Now if he wants to kill me then I've got to fight back and fight back and hope I survive. Of course it's not likely to go down like this, but this is a fun idea so here it goes:

1) Simultaneously get off line with a 45 and parry the hand holding the gun to the outside, making certain to maintain contact with the limb holding the gun.
    2) Attempt to strike his center while maintaining control of the weapon arm. Something to the soft tissue would be ideal, enough to pull his attention to the strike.
    3)Attack the limb holding the weapon. Something simple, but forceful, an arm bar or even just a few hard shots to the boes at the base of his wrist, the objective to either make him drop the weapon or ateast weken the limb enough that I can fight him for it.
    4) Keep fighting.

Now, reading through that, that's an awful lot of strategy and an awful lot of variables to be concerned with. It's highly unlikely that I would not get shot in such an enoucter. But if I was gonna get shot anyway, I'd do my best to take him down.

5. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Obviously as others have stated, give him the money and leave it to the police. If he is intent on shooting you then we may have to think of another way out of this.

1. Step to 45 on the opposite side to the hand with the gun.
    2. Simultaneously parry the gun with the opposite side to the hand with the gun.
    3. Head butt at the same time as parry.
    4. Try to control weapon hand and apply any number of controlling techniques. Preferably one which forces the gun back in towards his body and preferably one which, if his finger is on the trigger, breaks said finger in the twisting motion.
    5. As you control him to the ground and take the weapon off him put your right foot on top of him and proclaim to the world that you are indeed the greatest.

Other than that I think that I would end up in hospital with a fatal stomach wound.

6. Topher

Topher allo!

Give him the money :eek: :D :rolleyes:

7. Topher

Topher allo!

And how do you know what his intent is? (Other that robbing you)

8. JimH

JimH Valued Member

Here is my response,remember the situation dictates the response so each scenario is different and you do ,or do not do ,what you feel you can or need to do.
    Always be aware,even when working the ATM look at the screen for reflections of what is going on behinfd you.

That said this scenario says you are caught off guard:

ATMs have cameras so try to reposition so the camera can pick up the attacker ,just in case things go south.

He puts the pistol in your stomach hand him the money,throwing it will annoy and may provoke a response he did not intend.

If after you give the money he says he will shoot you or kill you or orders you somewhere else the response is up to you.

My pistol disarm for this situation would be:
    Start a dialogue,get his mind engaged,act nervous,hands start to rise,point and offer something else (more money from the wallet that you point to or car keys) half finish a sentence so his mind tries to finish it,then turn the body off line.(left or right does not matter as the same move works either way)

As the body turns out of the line of fire the rising hand hits the weapon out or down depending on how many others are around,(we do not want to hit the limb or weapon toward our family ,friends or into a crowd)

We will say my family is near so I hit down and away.

Move in to catch/grab the weapon ,one hand on the frame,my right(upward grip) ,one hand on his/her hand,my left,(downward grip) pull my arms and the weapon back towards me,so I can use my bodyweight rather than arm strength,keeping the muzzle down or toward him/her .

Now rotate the weapon upward from his/her toes to their groin to their upper body,(this way if the weapon goes off,no one but him/her are hit by the round).

Once the weapon is between his elbow and shoulder level I push it out and strip it with my right hand while maintaining a one hand wrist lock with my left.

I then woud strike him/her in the brachial Plexus(side of neck) with my forearm or the weapon ,then either drop him/her or finish the wrist lock take down by covering the knuckles with the weapon and taking Him/her down.

Kick and move off,throwing the weapon in a sewer,so the police can retrieve it and no innocents or the attacker can go get it and use it.

9. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

1) deposit large quantities of fecal matter into my undercrackers.
    2) do anything and everything he wants (give him money, possestions etc)
    3)beg for my life un-ashamedly if hes still kicking around.
    4)die

10. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Well, the obvious answer to the question is to give up the money. If we all said that then it would be a pretty boring thread.

11. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I like Goober's response.

Craping your pants is definitely the first thing. Next is do what you are told while getting your description of your the person down pat as much as possible.
    Hopefully, I would have the sense to move so that the attacker is in the line of sight of the ATM's camera. If at the end, I can see where he goes or his license plate, that would be great.

Unless he tells me he is going to kill me or makes some action in that vein, I would not resist. Going against a gun in your stomach is stupid.

12. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

I won't talk about this or that technique but feelings and intuition. Keep aware of your surrounding especially around ATMs, and places where robbers know there's money to be found.

You must be able to sense the intent of the attacker or watch his body language. Meditation and learning how to read people, clear thinking, trusting yourself and having true confidence in your ability (not cockyness) is a start.

1. You may just give the money to him and he'll leave.
    2. You may need to use deadly force to save your life.
    3. You may be able to disarm him and hold him for police.

An advanced practioner will never predetermine what techniques to do in any given situation or when to make a move, he will react accordingly.

This all takes many years of phyiscal and mental training.

13. mrsumo

mrsumo Invictus Maneo

Well, I may not be a psychic, but my main line of work puts me in front of hostile people often. It isn't as difficult as you might think figuring out a persons intentions. If the person is standing a few feet away, yea, i'll hand over the money and take the cautious route, hoping my money is all he wanted. However, if he is right up on me with the pistol in my belly, well, it would be in my nature to show the lad the error of his ways. If you aren't confident in your disarming abilities you shouldn't take my advice. Even if you are confident in your abilities you may not want to listen to me, but i'm an american so I will tell you anyway! Here is one of my favorite disarm techniques.

1. Enter the interview stance. ( just like your fighting stance, but your hands are down at hip height with palms down in a non agressive posture). You should enter the interview stance as soon as the situation begins.
    2. If the gun is in his right hand I will push the barrel 90degrees to my left using the V between my index finger and thumb.This is my left hand. At the same time I'll grab his hand with my thumb in the metacarpals.
    3. Gooseneck his hand intowards his chest while turning his wrist outward. at the same time step back with my left foot and pivot 180 degrees.

You should take care to keep the barrel pointed away from you at all costs.
    If you maintain the hold while he is on the ground you are only a few pounds of pressure from breaking his wrist. Follow with the finishing move of your choice.

You Aikido guys would call this movement Kotogashe.

14. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

1.drop to one knee
    2.punch his front foot
    3. never mind ......

All ATM's have camera's ... keep this in mind when you attempt to fight back its all gona be on tape ... it wont just be another cold dead body in the morning ... they are gonna see what you tried to do to cause you to end up dead ...

Give him the money . Call him Ma'am or her Sir ... pretend not to notice the shoes or the brand of clothing . Dont tell them your gonna do **** but comply .

Just remember if your in this situation YOU made some real bad mistakes already dont make more . Give him the money .
    NO fast movements, no monkey sucks peach , no throwing money around , no running away zigging and jagging dodging gun fire and combat rolling into cover , no showing how not afraid of his gun you are . try not to fart to loud when you soil yourself ... he may think your KIA-ING and shoot you before you ninja him with your deadly Martial Arts .Just pretend your the landlord from Kung Fu Hustle ... at the begaining of the movie ... when he was poking and flirting with the tailor .

I think this thread is about dead now ...

If I missed anything someone else please feel free to give it a kick or two ....

15. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Guys the idea was to simply explore a scenario and discuss tactics/ techniques relating to that scenario. Perhaps it's a useless exercise, but I think it's fairly fun. Just that, fun.

I don't think anybody actually thinks that "grabbing peaches" on a person with a gun in your stomach is a good or even feasible idea.

16. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

Pull a crocadile dundee move, and whip out my uzi while saying "thats not a gun, THIS is a gun!"

17. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Thank you Zac. I'm glad some people get the idea of the thread and the fact I was joking when I said to grab the peach.

Some good techniques listed so far from the ones taking the thread seriously (fecal matter depositing while most likely very common in the situation doesn't quite fit into the type of techniques I had in mind).

For those that answered give him the money, yes that would be an ideal response in this situation. It would be great if we could get out of this situation as peacefully as possible. But I'd like to hear what technique(s) we have all learned to get ourselves out of this situation. And let's leave the fecal matter flinging techniques to the monkeys shall we?

18. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

How do we know if even that is his actual intent? For all we know he could be a gang banger and his first "assignment" is to kill. :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. JimH

JimH Valued Member

How do we know the Intent?

The person who means to kill you will kill you,not engage you or show you the weapon to threaten you,they will shoot you from far or they will close in and shoot you by surprise from up close,if they go verbal it will be as they shoot or as they are shooting,in most instances,they do not want an engagement of converstaion,no action on your part.

A person who shows you the weapon as a threat will verbalize their demand.

Once the person has you comply then the situation again is up in the air,do they now want to get away or do they now mean you harm (how much power do they want out of this encounter)

Any action or non action is up to the victim and their perception or feeling of what the encounter is turning into.

20. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo New Member

I want to change my answer... I'll try to call Jim H. on my cel phone since he not only knows what the attacker will do, but even what he's *thinking*! ;)