Screw in one knee & Zero cartiledge on the other

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bassmonkey, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Hi guys & gals

A friend of mine has had to have a screw put in her left knee and the right knee has very little cartiledge (what is there just floats about a bit) this is due to 2 seperate accidents!

She can no longer bend her knees for very long, can't run too well and cant kneel down for very long as a result. Walking is no problem but when it comes to bending knees it very painful for her.

After months of cardio this has shown no improvement and the docs have said there is nothing more that can be done cardio or surgerywise.

Does anyone here know some good remedies or something to help improve her manuverability?

I dont post on the Tradional medicine forum as have little knowledge about it, but you all seem to have a lot of info and im hoping you can help.

Thankyou lots in advance,

Lee

2. Bassmonkey

Anyone at all?? :(

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd go for the usual, fish oil. Make sure it's good quality.

As for anything specific you need to google a bit.
    Acupuncture should help with the pain from what I can make out.

4. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

5. donb

donb restless spirit

As to traditional healing for cartilages, there's nothing really out there that i've ran into to replace it (as you said it's zero), cartilages can't regenerate from nothing. As to surgery, i think she needs a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon or a physiatrist (doctor of rehabilitation), since there is a study which is being done in replacing knee cartilages from pigs (yes, pigs) and it has worked. How much? i don't know. Effectivity, i have worked with one person that had it done, and he couldn't play football anymore and had to find a different job but no complaints of pain.

6. donb

donb restless spirit

By the way, the screw on one knee (usually called open-reduction internal fixation) should have nothing to do with flexibility since screws are usually planted on the bone. More than likely, she has a lot of scarring as a result of the surgery, swelling, and fibrous tissue formation which limits flexibility. This can be resolved but a difficult process. Soft tissue adhessions can be dissolve by ultrasound (not all), and others may need a arthrosopic surgery to scrape and clean out the joints so she can move them. But right after surgery, she needs to start therapy to prevent the same cycle. Cartilages usually gets destroyed with repetitive impact (pounding on joints), not accidents unless it was removed surgically or joint damage occurred during the accident but usually doctor's can replace it with cadaver tissue (organ donors) if it was a result of the accident the joint was actually compromised . I think there's more to this than what is written. Anyway, this is just from what i have been exposed to. i could be wrong.

7. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Hey Donb thanks for everything great source of information.

8. Bassmonkey

Thats fantastic info guys thankyou loads.

I dont know the entire story so i have only posted what i know, i will try and find out more if poss. But still thankyou again. :)

Lee

9. donb

donb restless spirit

you're more than welcome!!!! and let me know what you find out...this is quite interesting to me

10. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

They have started doing cartilage replacements (told me I need it in a few years... joy!). Physio is always helpful, especially when it comes to regaining flexibility/range of motion. As for supplements, fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin, and msm all help me. And for the scarring, vitamin E. I'd also suggest she look into something like Pilates, as it can really help with posture (which in turn helps the knees) & flexibility, as well as overall strength.