screw 94, UFC 92...

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Patrick_baji, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

GRIFFIN VS EVANS
    NOGUEIRA VS MIR
    SILVA VS JACKSON
    CHIEK CONGO IS FIGHTING TOO

BJ PENN AND GSP CAN WAIT

THIS IS WAY BETTER

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I don't really think that warranted all caps...

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

dan evensen is fighting, not dan severn.

4. Patrick_baji

alright my bad,

is there any news on shogun's form?

5. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Shogun's rematching with Coleman at 205 in Ireland, I believe.

Edit: confirmed for UFC 93: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/ufc-adds-bouts-to-upcoming-cards-15368

That looks to have some interesting matches on it.

Although, to bring it back to the topic, I'm definitely more psyched about GSP-Penn 2 than any of the matches at 93.

But, I think 92 has a good chance of going down as "event of the year" for 2008, at least for the UFC.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  6. liero

liero Valued Member

So who elce watched it?

Griffin vs. Evans; I thought Rashad would win before the fight started. But he did it in style! good evasion and footwork put him in the right spots. He even said in the pre-fight: "i have a kick KO a overhand right KO and now i am looking at a ground game" classy considering the G&P he gave Forrest for the win.

Nog vs. Mir; Mir was Awesome, in my opinion he showed a well followed and executed game plan. Good punches, and he knew when to stand up from the ground and came out with a stunning KO! I found it hilarious when he yelled at Lesnar at the end of the fight 'you've got my belt!'

Silva VS Jackson; I thought this might be the fight of the card and I wasnt dissapointed. Rampage showed guts imo just going into the fight!
    I thought silva did look a little more sluggish than rampage.
    with a beautifull hook jackson ended it and clearly his move to a new camp is paying dividends.

7. Patrick_baji

cant believe nogueira lost...
    and I was betting on griffin and silva too but damn...

8. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Nogueira looked out of it from the get go. I was rooting for Nogueira. What can I say... He's a likeable character.

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Patrick Barry vs. Dan Evensen: I was impressed by Barry's striking skills. If he works on the rest of his game, he'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

Brad Blackburn vs. Ryo Chonan: I didn't see this one. I was hoping for Chonan to pull through, but he lost by decision. Anyone see this yet?

Matt Hammill vs. Reese Andy: Hammill worked him over just like I and probably everyone else expected him to.

Antoni Hardonk vs. Mike Wessel: Hardonk couldn't really do much to him at first but defended well, then started picking him apart once he gasses out, which didn't take very long.

Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister: Another one I didn't see where the fighter I wanted to win lost by decision. Oh well, losing to Okami is no embarrassment for anyone.

Cheick Kongo vs. Mustapha al Turk: A pretty relentless beating by Kongo. Late stoppage too, or so everyone I was watching it with thought.

Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva: This ended so suddenly I was perplexed. Silva looked hesitant, but was definitely winning the round, then he got caught and it was over. I thought Silva would take it after he landed that third roundhouse to Jackson's thigh, but they didn't even seem to matter this time. Every time Silva's been knocked out (except for the infamous 44-seconds against Vitor Belfort way back whenever), it's been from a shot to the left side of his head. Makes me wonder if CroCop's kick had a permanent effect on him...

CB Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio: Massenzio looked rather unimpressive. I don't know if the gigantic bandage on his leg had anything to do with it, or if Dollaway simply controlled him, but it was pretty one-sided.

Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: I get depressed every time I think about this fight. Nogueira looked awful. I kept wondering when he was going to turn it up and it just looked like he didn't even want to be there. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet who thinks so, but it also looked like it was a pretty bad early stoppage. Not like I can really say it matters. Nogueira never once did anything that significantly affected Mir. I don't know what was wrong with him in this fight. People can say he has been in too many wars, but they've been saying that for a long time and he's always managed to win before. All he did was jab every once in a while and try to pull guard, while Mir simply picked him apart. Whatever happened, I feel really bad for him. As for Mir, wow. He looked great there. The best I've ever seen him. I'm not quite ready to say he's the #2 heavyweight in the world, but he's certainly a candidate for it.

Rashad Evans vs. Forrest Griffin: A good fight. Excellent performance by both fighters. Especially Rashad Evans.

10. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I only saw the three main fights. I can't believe that none of my picks won. And there was something sad in every case. I thought Silva was looking great while Rampage looked sloppier, almost hectic. But he nailed the punch. I can't help but think that three years ago, that same strike wouldn't have KO'd Wanderlei. As for Nog-Mir, props to Mir. He's looked better than I've ever seen him. On the other hand, Nog was getting dropped like a fat cheerleader. Probably his worst performance to date. Ever since the Sylvia fight I've kind of had this sense of worry for him. He's just taken too many beatings. And finally, Forrest was winning the first two rounds! I can't believe how quickly his fortunes changed. I also can't believe it took Evans so long to remember that he's a wrestler. It's nice to see how he's coming along, but man, I felt bad for Griffin. Although I heard him tell Evans after the fight, "The fourth and fifth rounds are my best rounds.":)

11. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Right side of his head. That's what I meant.