Scrambling my brain? Offending everyone?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Qis, Dec 13, 2003.

?

Is it possible to train in WTF + ITF at the same time?

1. NO (it's illegal/impossible)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No (it's a bad idea)

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Yes (but you will be contradicting your learning from each instructor)

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Yes (i can't see any huge problems)

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

My Question:
    what would happen if i tried to learn itf AND wtf styles from different instructors?

Notes:
    I'm a newbie ( white belt ).
    I really enjoy TKD. (wtf)
    I have no other evening commitments (i.e so long as they dont clash i could easily make both)

The Situation:
    Someone i know has is thinking about starting tkd at another school ( i am with uni club, he is not in uni).
    He has his first viewing(lesson if he wants) sometime next week i think, and said he'd tell me what it's like etc.
    I wouldn't mind going to another instructor to learn as well as my current instructor is excellent, but i dont see how an extra lesson or 2 a week will detract from their teaching, and will hopefully add to it.
    I've already read a thread in masters and schools ( the other forum/group) and i think my instructor will be ok if it's wtf and doesn't clash
    However

Problem:
    I don't know if it's wtf/itf yet.

Question:

What would be so bad about learning wtf and itf? should i not even consider it?

i know they are seperate organisations, but my current instructor doesnt seem to have any animosoty towards itf, but i dont know what she'd think about me trainng in both.

Would it be more work than it's worth? the kicks are different i believe, and sparring is different rules, probably more stuff i dont know about.

I'de like to know what everyone(anyone) thinks.

should i not even consider it? ( if not why not?)

I know i'm a lowly white belt but i want to learn.
    Sorry if this is a masive faux pas, just thinking out loud really.

P.s i know gradings would be bonkers.

p.p.s IF it's wtf AND both instructors are ok with it AND it doesnt clash AND it's any good THEN i'll almost deffinately go.

p.p.p.s I've completely knackered my foot so i wont be even thinking about it until the new year at the earliest.

p.p.p.p.s it might be really lame in which case sorry for wasting your collective time.

p.p.p.p.p.s thanks for reading this far.

-Qis

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  2. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Yikes, that ended up quite long winded.

-Qis

3. darlph

darlph New Member

Do you plan to compete? Rules are different. And .... protocol is to ask ans instructor before you enlist with another. If you were supplimenting weight training with you regular training your present instructor would probably have you working your flexibilty more in at home workouts. Every instructor has different ideas and styles. Look around at the students you already train with... hands and footwork are each interpreted differently, ask yourself,"would they teach it taht way and say it's correct?"
    At beginning rank, your quest for knowledge is commendable. Keep it up.

4. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Cheers for the quick response

I really hope it's wtf, as a couple of students that are curently in the class only turn up one day a week, and are with another instructor the other day ( they are blue-belts, so i accept that they are in a different boat ), so i get the impression that our instructor would be ok with it.

i really hope it's wtf that the other one teaches, as that will make things that bit easier to decide.

no matter what i should be able to get more practice done tho, as the guy starting at theother place( if he does) said he would probably be up for training one night a week with me ( obviousely this is after we get a clue what's going on. )

-Qis

5. darlph

darlph New Member

Please, no offense intended, You are a beginning student. Ask your instructor or get to know your instructors' history better and find out if perhaps maybe because they are upper ranked students they are enhancing their workouts with permission. Mybe at one time your instructor tranined with the other instuctor. I do ITF but I have no opposition to any other training as stated before. I teach ITF, but at home I workout differently when I do music and then go back to ITF traning. Remember, also, the forms are different. Balnces are a little different and so is hands.
    Sounds to me you are maybe a little indecisive at this time about your training. That's okay. Maybe go watch a couple classes on your off nights of training at the other school. See what you feel comfortable with. No matter, you are the only one who can decide where you want to go in your training... Just keep an open mind and do train. MA's are a great life lesson and path thru life. And I have a great "family" I enjoy being with.

6. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

If the styles are the same (both WTF) then there is very little problem, simply pick one as your main class (which you'll grade with) and the other as extra training. Make sure you inform both instructors though. Also remember even with the same assosiations style may differ, this is something you have to work out as it appears and when differences in technique do appear you have to work out what your going to do with both instructors (remember they have final say in what happens in their class) i've already met this problem, but it was pretty easy solved.

If the styles are different then you can go to both if you want, but remember just becayse they are both TKD they are different, and should be treated as such. Think of it as a small cross training experiance, but i would say that cross training isnt a good idea at white belt, esspecially when there may be similarities in style. Most people would say leave cross training until you are a higher rank, and then your new style would be a sort of booster for your original.

Make your desisions yourself, make sure and discuss them with both instructors.

Hope your foot gets better soon too.

7. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Deffinately intend to compete as soon as i can.
    Not going to drop my current class, the people there are cool, and i really enjoy the classes.
    That said, i dropped my gym mebership to do tkd ( i couldn't justify the cost of the membership if i couldnt go 2 nights a week for tkd, or at the weekend ( cos i generally go out with friends etc.)
    I was hoping to start going swimming to stop me getting tubby, then this second tkd option came up.
    well, the guy still hasn't been to this other class.

if it's wtf and dont clash then 'll give it a go.
    otherwise i'll probably forget it, and start swimming.

just so that's all clear.

thanks everyone for your advice. helped me confirm what i already suspected ( itf + wtf = bad idea at my newbie status, not much problem with wtf + wtf so long as both instructors know what's going on.)

p.s would skipping be better for building up leg muscles for tkd than running?

-Qis

8. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

By running do you mean jogging?

I prefer skipping to running.

There is more that you can do with the footwork which is important when sparring. I use weighted skipping ropes so it also builds up your shoulder muscles which are imporant for keeping your guard up. And I think skipping is easier to fit into circuts as you can do it on the spot. Also skipping is low impact on the joints.

Oh yeah an skipping is "joy based" (source: KC on "skipping vs jogging" thread) You should chek that thread out.

9. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Yeah, i meant jogging.
    completely agree with taking up less room.
    is skipping any good as a cv workout tho?

whenever i see boxers etc boxing they are skipping insanely fast, do they have special ropes or what? i cant imagine getting a girly skipping rope spinning that fast.
    what is a speed-rope?

joy-based, cool!
    -Qis

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  10. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

No they are normal ropes (leather) that boxers use its just that they are very good. I love skipping- there are so many variations of footwork that can completely change the benefits of the excercise.

Speed ropes are made of very light plastic and sting like **** when you catch your leg with them- but that teaches you to get better quickly.

As for the girly ropes, I wouldn't try using the kind that you see kids playing with in the school playground. I don't think that they are aerodynamic enough cos they are usually just made of actual rope.

I used to skip with a length of electrical cord which worked pretty well.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  11. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

cool.
    didn't think u could get girly ropes to spin that fast.
    maybe cat5 cable...
    maybe not.

cheers for the advice tho.

-Qis

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Deal with this "problem" first .... you're jumpng the gun getting all worried about what potentially may have no effect on your training!

All that I can see as a "problem" is in the different forms/hyungs that you will have to learn and of course different competion/sparring rules... (continuous vs. point sparring)

Kicks & punches are the same but the execution of said techniques may be a bit different .... like the "side kick" ...positioning & target-wise, speed vs. power, etc. etc......

I see no "real" problem off hand .... but as with anything.... if it does happen to become one once you're into it then you need to make a decision whether or not you should continue....

... hey worse case, you may find that you prefer ITF BETTER than WTF!!!:D

13. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

thx KC

Yeah.
    everything is on hold till i hear back from the guy that's going to the other class, and my foot gets sensible again ( thankfully christmas break coming up, so i wont feel bad about resting it)

4 weeks w/o tkd *sob* that's 8 classes. *sob*

*twiddles thumbs *
    are we there yet?

-Qis

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Before anything, I would discuss it with the primary instructor and for his/her opinion. I would also watch the other persona's classes a couple times before committing, to see if it is what you want.

The differences between ITF and WTF are not as great as the differences between individual instructors. In my opinion, when you find one instructor that you like and respect, stick with that one. If you want to cross train, I would wait until you have a stronger handle on the basics. If you really want more classes per week, ask your instructor to recommend a place to train. Let us know what happens!

15. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Will do.
    there is another place that i know she approves of,( i think it was her instructor) but its absolutely miles away, so i won't be able to get there with any regularity. He's supposed to be tops, and occasionaly a group of the higher belts go out there for sessions. particularly in the run up to competitions.

It's more to take up time than 'cross-train' i just feel i'm wasting my evenings, and i would much rather be doing something that i enjoy. I need to do more exercise as an anti-flab measure. If i could iprove my tkt as well it would be great.
    pounding the treadmill/ swimming for ages doesn't come close to tkd.
    :love:

i'll keep you posted on progress.

-Qis