Scott Sullivan Home Study Muay Thai course.

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by fire cobra, Feb 18, 2009.

1. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Anybody seen it? or seen the clip for it? opinions?.

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QVliEtLWU"]YouTube - Scott Sullivan "whips" a phonebook[/ame]

3. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44ZNq3NwNs"]YouTube - The Complete Muay Thai Home Study Course[/ame]

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNmqq6i2TrQ"]YouTube - Muay Thai Training - How to Gain Control in the Clinch[/ame]

5. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=193JGV9wiCM"]YouTube - Muay Thai in Houston - Single Thai Pad Combination[/ame]

6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrPZTY-8sM"]YouTube - Scott Sullivan - Houston Martial Arts Instructor[/ame]

From the clip, he looks like he's a good Shootfighter, but I didn't see any evidence that he's a genuine Nak Muay

7. kurupzion

kurupzion Valued Member

good kickboxer possibly but defo not muay thai.

bob and weave?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

8. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

will watch clips but funny you should mention bob & weave.....the last time i trained in thailand just about every coach at the gym worked on bobbing and weaving with me.

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thanks for the replies guys,personally I dont like the clips at all(man Im hard to please) the basics he shows on the clips are not good imho,even his clinch grips are incorrect,and whats the Thai snake?! also he and most others I see on clips are not realising that the double head grip is hardly gained in most fights in Thailand nowadays,the boxers are to skilled at stopping at least one hand from getting to their head.:)

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Smee,

I Have never been taught to bob and weave in Thailands Muay Thai camps and thats training in 15 camps or more and for 2.5 years,however I have been shown it by my Teacher in the Uk(he is Thai) he boxed in the 1960s when the style had more footwork evasion etc,I was also taught it in Thailand by western style(muay sakhon) thai fighters.:)

11. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

I have been shown the Bob n' Weave by Thai's, but they RARELY emphasize it! I rarely teach it myself, constantly giving my students crap when I see them do it....

"Go ahead, bring your face that much closer to my knees!"

12. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Yeah, didn't mean to imply that they spent a LOT of time on it. They didn't at all. But they did occasionally drill it now and again.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Last time I bobbed in a Muay Thai gym, I weaved my teeth straight into a shin :(

Mr. Sullivan looks like a decent enough teacher. But attempting to learn martial arts without the presence of a qualified teacher amounts to LARPing.

14. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I did a little myself in Thailand, less bobbing down put weaving yes.

Ive used it in saprring, i ducked under a high kick (my boxing background kicked in for some reason :confused:). We were as both suprised as each other that it happened :D

I do think it is valid technique but only done at the right time as it leaves people open to a fair amount of counters. We are not fighting Thai's week in week out and i think it maybe safe to say boxing plays a bigger part in the Western world than it does in Thailand.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  15. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yeah it can be a valid defence for sure,I have seen a top boxer from a camp I train at in Thailand do the very same defence against Saenchai who is rated in Thailand at the moment as the best of the best,but none of them over play the technique of ducking/bobbibg rolling etc.

On the subject of what we do in the UK oh dont get me started! as far as Im concerned we all should be following Muay Thai as it is done in Thailand otherwise.. well otherwise it isnt Muay Thai!.:)

16. Yatezy

Like Smee, it wasnt trained all the time. Just when he had me working my hands. The bobbing, weaving and rolling comes to me naturally from 5 and half years of boxing. Its not something im taught here in the UK as like stated, your pushing your face towards there knee but against a punch happy oppenent, which is very likely, then it could leave them it very bad position.

I agree mate but that has to stem from the way matches are scored and they way hands are a bigger part over here.

Although trying to follow the scoring in Thailand can be amazingly confusing :bang:

17. kurupzion

kurupzion Valued Member

it was more the bobbing i was taught not to do, during thai that is.
    the weave is a different story.
    i first learnt boxing and my instructor teaches boxing. we have pure boxing sessions and during sparring bob and weave is fine.but totally discouraged during thai training and sparring.its just asking for the knee to the face.
    Im of the same thought process as fire cobra.do how the thais do(training,sparring,style).it is a tried and tested method.why change it?
    im sure we have also seen and been shown a lot of other poor techniques for thai eg. spinning backfist,spinning back kick etc, which is a poor technique in muaythai and not emphasised in training but occasionally you see being used.but it doesnt mean it should be used generally due to the disadvantageous position you are in using that technique.

18. RAB

RAB Valued Member

Are we talking about a bob or duck?

I teaching both boxing and kb/mt. Generally, bob and weave is an evasive forward movement against the jab. Bobs don't necessary avoid contact but deflects a punch off the top of the skull. In kb/mt, jabs are used less often than boxing, never the less, you can be incorporate the b/w with double forearm blocks/parries/catches.

If we are talking about ducking, I advise against it when kb/mt for many reason already stated.

*I only watched the clinch video - I'm not saying it's wrong...its just not how i teach it*

19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Rab,

My definiation of a Bob is a small bend of the knees downward that keeps your legs and upper body in the same stance as they were before the bob was used,

Of the duck I define it as a bend of the waist with the legs in the same position,the bend is usually to take your head towards the opponents waist or upper body,

My definition of the roll is the same as the weave,a circular side to side motion that can be used of a bob or a duck.

Personally I think the bob as described by your self is a safe Method to use in Muay Thai,the role/weave and duck are dangerous against punches but not so much against kicks.

I like slipping the best of all the boxing style evasive movements for Muay Thai,still not to be overplayed though unless you understand Muay Thai very much.

As a footnote my teacher always said the duck is safe in Muay Thai because your head is near the knee,mind you he had awesome hand speed and power 32 knock outs against bigger opponents!.:)

20. Yatezy

Although i do agree that its not best to use these techniques as there are better attacks, we should not just complete forget them.

They are part of the MT arsenal, my instructor is pretty handy at landing spinning elbows on oppenents, because they are not used often shouldnt mean we have to water the art down completely. Whilst in Thailand, one of the Thai lads would continuely use a side kick on you over a teep :)