Sciatic nerve pain help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mickeal_alex, Jan 24, 2015.

1. mickeal_alex

mickeal_alex New Member

Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and i just had to ask some help from people more experienced than myself.A quick intro i did about 3 years of a form of Karate in high school and later decided to train myself in my free time for flexibility.
    I use mostly the Elasticsteel streching exercises because i always wanted to be able to do the sidesplit and i train 3 times a week and so sometimes i feel a sharp pain in the sciatic nerve when i train in the left hip whenever i go into the sidesplit and i added an exercise called Ardha Matsyendrasana. Ii worked great in the beginning but now it help less and less. Does anyone recommend any tips, or what might be the problem, the pain is less if i take a couple of days of rest but i loose flexibility.

2. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Ask your Dr. Build up your core, try yoga. I will tell you what worked for me, but I am sure their will be a huge backlash some folks are less open to alternative treatments. I have a great chiropractor. I went from barely able to walk and requiring surgery to training 4to 5 days a week with no problems.

But first you need to check with your Dr.

3. mickeal_alex

mickeal_alex New Member

I see, but the ting is that i don't feel pain when i don't train, and when it happens it occurs when i rotate the left leg to the side beyond 30 degrees, some people said that the sciatica nerve goes through a muscle called the pyriformus so maybe i need to increase the strength in that muscle, not really sure that's why i'm asking.

4. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Well like I said first see what your Dr has to say about it. It sounds like you may be streaching incorrectly? There is a good stretching post by van Zandt/ Redcoat. Maybe you should read that. And ask your Dr about the pain.

5. mickeal_alex

mickeal_alex New Member

Thanks for the reply, i read a little and maybe the order of the exercises im doing are wrong, back when i was training with a teached i didn't feel any pain in the sciatica but i was also less flexible so i going to change my workout and see if that helps.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Get some Sports Massage done too.

Gets you all relaxed etc. Hurts like the dickens though.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If that stretch is causing pain, it means your doing injury to yourself.

That may be to do with your own body, or your self taught technique, either way stop doing that, and get your hip checked out by an expert, and that means someone with a medical degree.

8. mickeal_alex

mickeal_alex New Member

Thanks for the reply guys, i think i found out what the problem was, it's exactly how Thomas Kurz wrote in this article http://www.usadojo.com/articles/thomas-kurz/stretch-yourself-2.htm

I basically didn't rotate my pelvis forward when doing a side split ,that was the reason and it explains everything so far, why i only felt pain when doing the sidesplit but no other exercise, and so i tested it out on a very light version, opened the legs to the side to about 30 degrees and was feeling that pain just like before and then i rotated the hip forward and moved it back a little and after feeling a bit of stretching in the hips the pain went away, now everything feel great, hope this was the issue and i can't wait till tuesday to train ( taking 2 day off to rest and let the muscles heal).

9. Mushroom

Another point about getting a sports massage, they can do a super quick test to see if it actually is Sciatica or tensions within the area (ie the glutes) which can mimic the symptoms of sciatica. That's what I had, numbness of the leg down to the toes, aches and pains etc.
    Self diagnosed it was Sciatica and when I finally got the rub down, I've been relatively pain free. So sometimes it is worth it.

10. mickeal_alex

mickeal_alex New Member

Thanks for the reply Mushroom will try that if the pain comes back, question are u part of the Green Mushroom Core ?

11. Mushroom

I have no clue what that is.

Does it have to do with recreational drugs? Or simply geek love for Mario?

12. mickeal_alex

mickeal_alex New Member

It was a reference to Green Lantern since you're using his quote.

13. Mushroom

Lol, Yes I am a huge fan, though I thought you were referencing 1Up.