Schools Integrating Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by mdgee, Sep 23, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Just a curious question. Why am I noticing more and more schools who add a Judo program into their schools? I've noticed a lot of TKD schools that want to become more well-rounded will do this. There have been other schools too but the majority seem to be schools teaching some form of kickboxing. Your thoughts?

2. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Generally a grappling art closes one of the big gaps in tkd. Some things to watch out for though:
    1) blackbelt instructors who haven't competed in judo or don't randori
    2) the only judo is a walk through throw with no discussion of kuzushi or proper follow through.
    Both these can indicate a lack of knowledge in the art.
    A quality judo blackbelt and tkd blackbelt can be formidable if sparring and randori are regular elements of training.

3. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Thanks TKD. I do know that one of the schools I'm investigating is an ITF TKD school and they have separate blackbelt instructors for all three of the martial arts at their school. The Judokan, if I said that correctly, is a 4th Dan BB. This was one thing that has attracted me to this particular school. That all of the instructors have competed in TKD, Escrima, or Judo.

4. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

A good indicator is the size of the tatami and number of crash pad they have if you want to focus on the judo throws. If its striking with throw integration best bet is to attend a class and get a feel for it.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My Choy Li Fut (TCMA) and Tai Chi Chuan school added submission grappling classes a few years ago.

I am not sure why you are asking the question, since you said the reason in your original post. It it to make one more well rounded. I think it is good that people admit and are honest that their one art may not be 100% versed in EVERY aspect of fighting.

6. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

aaradia, I asked because I wanted to ensure that what I speculated is a fairly accurate assessment. I wanted someone else's opinion, ok?

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honestly its partly for the reason you mentioned and also partly because grappling programmes are what people want, and it will bring in new students and more money
    A lot of schools started by getting on the grappling band wagon by saying grappling was always in their arts (watching a few dvds and teaching it from there) , but people became wise to this and realised what their coaches were teaching was rubbish so schools looked to bring in BJJ instructors as this was the grappling style everyone wanted
    but these guys are expensive to hire, judo is more widely available and thus its cheaper to bring a coach in, adds in a throwing element and is also a traditional art so will make traditional students feel at home, BJJ and no gi work especially might be too foreign, no bowing, no real grading etc
    Judo is very much like TKD in that there is a uniform, bowing and respect must be shown to the coach etc, grading to take and so on

Don’t worry some of us don’t mind people asking questions on what is a public information forum :)

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The encyclopedia of taekwondo has a whole section on throwing and falling. They are very Judo-like in nature.
    So in some ways "adding" Judo techniques is really just incorporating stuff that should already be in TKD anyway.
    Personally I feel it is better for a TKD instructor that has missed out on being taught throws in their TKD to get along to a judo class and get some proper instruction (at least probably 3-4 years/brown belt level) before trying to teach others.
    I've dabbled in TKD for years and recently started Judo and without a doubt Judo is the most complex art I've ever done. It's not something you can look at in pictures and think "I'll add that into my classes". You need to get hands on and learn the nuance of how the body works in order to make the throw work.

9. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

thanks everyone. Yes, I know ITF TKD is a bit different and there's more work with hands so I guess Judo would definitely work for that school. I do enjoy Judo as well as traditional Jiujutso (Japanese). I even came across another style of TKD that is one of the Kwans. I think it's Song Moo Kwan TKD and it definitely looks different from the WTF TKD. That same school also has a Judo class too.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Just because I asked why the question was being asked doesn't mean I objected to it.

It just seemed odd to state why your school does something and then to ask why your school does something in the same paragraph.:confused:

11. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

aaradia, please try and be patient with folks. I think we all try to over analyze without asking what is really needed.

In a rush to create the thread I probably over stated what I was asking/looking for and you presumed that I had already drawn my own conclusion but I hadn't. I simply should have stated what I wanted differently. Regardless, all comments are welcome and I wasn't offended by your response because I figured you were responding based on your assessment that I already had the answer. What I had was my own idea and I was looking to match up my idea with others or have someone else tell me something different.