School Setup - The Basics

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheCount, Nov 2, 2008.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

[size=+2]Intro[/size]
    From pyramid schemes to McDojo's it really is hard to find a good training area these days and more importantly a good instructor to match. Sure there are a lot of hidden gems kicking about (no pun intended) but wouldn't we all find life a bit easier if there were more?

In this article I hope to discuss what I reckon you need to get down to set up a successful school. Hopefully it should be applicable to anyone - be it weekend, evening or full time instruction.

[size=+2]Requirements[/size]
    First we need to lay out what we need, then we are going to discuss it in a bit more detail.
    The key stuff you need to have in mind or set up BEFORE you even think about opening a school are as follows:
    • Finance
    • Consistent training venue and time slot
    • A plan for your classes
    • Credibility
    • A plan for getting people into said classes.

[size=+1]Finance[/size]
    Money is integral and necessary to anything you do these days. Sadly without money you aren't going anywhere and it is this alone that often governs what you can do.

Before you set up your school you need a financial basis - you need enough money for equipment, any additional coaches you need, hall fees and maintenance costs (if you have your own facilities). This financial basis must also be long term - at least 6 - 8 months.

Why? I'm not saying you can't do these things on the fly, however you cannot expect to get a full class of 30, 40, 50 people on your first opening nights, similarly your membership is always always going to oscillate - this means at some points you will get loads more than expected and some points a lot less than expected.
    For this reason, always work your accounts on the principle of what you have.
    You should be able to look and go "Yes, we can pay for next month already". If in a longer term that isn't going to be so, then you need to rethink.

Also do not base your finances on any one offs - apply for money from the Princes Trust, sports unions, anyone who will give you money to set up your club, but don't presume that you are going to get it. Instead use one offs for your development and expansion.

So - summary - you need to have enough money to get yourself started and keep yourself afloat for at least a good few months.

[size=+1]Consistent training venue and time slot[/size]
    Really simple... but some people just don't do this. If you are going to use a sports hall twice a week - make very sure that you have that sports hall booked on an almost permanent basis or at least weeks in advance. If people are enthused or whatever they will not be happy if you cancel a session or can't train because you haven't got anywhere to.

Similarly, try to strike deals and make sure you know about any imminent hall cost rises.

[size=+1]A Plan for your classes[/size]
    Once again - really simple but a detail people totally overlook. Don't play a class by ear... if you are taking yourself seriously always know what is going to happen next session and make dead sure your students do too.
    None of "I think we might do..."
    More of "Next session we are going to do some kumite..."
    Think about the goal of your school - do you want conditioning in there? Do you just want a basic warmup... or even do you want people to do their own warmup? Do you want to rotate exercises, or do games or what?

Decide - you are in control

Also remember - "What am I being paid for?" If people expect sparring and you wait unreasonably long - they aren't going to be happy. If people are expecting fitness, then you need to think about this. Also if people disagree, be ready to explain what your aims are.

[size=+1]Credibility[/size]
    Absolute requirement. Ask yourself seriously - "Can I teach a class?" "Do I have the experience necessary?" "Am I going to be able to answer questions?" "Will people respect me?"
    My Judo instructor is a prime example. He knows dozens of little details of technique, any small aspect he can answer about. However at the same time the warmups he has us do are totally ineffectual and some of the movements/exercises are just downright likely to damage someone. Similarly - aside from his black belt we has no credibility other than anecdotes from competition.. thus he isn't taken entirely seriously.

Don't presume you have enough knowledge, keep learning, keep honest, keep things going. If word gets out that you are anything other than great then that's when rumours begin. You need to make sure things are going well and need to make sure that you yourself are happy with your own performance.

[size=+1]A plan to get people in[/size]
    This means advertising, this means community notice boards having bright posters on them telling people everything they want to know, this means getting people communicating through word of mouth.
    Have catchy and concise posters ready, get in contact with other schools of the same sort in the area and get some comms going.
    Start your advertising campaign a couple of weeks in advance to your first class. Absolutely do not put anywhere on your poster "New school..." or anything to mention that you are other than sensible setup and in control. Things like "Course begins..." or "New Season begins..." are more friendly to your membership.

[size=+2]Things to keep in Mind[/size]
    Ok so you have your first 20 members and many have promised to bring friends, family and all that jazz along, however what do you need to keep thinking about and working on? It's details like these that really puts the icing on the cake.

Disclosure/Insurance
    If you don't have one, other or both things are not good for you.

Always have time
    Always be available to take questions, to chat, to be sociable. Get to know who you are training, get friendly. It's this sort of friendship that keeps things moving and gets people seriously involved.

Who will help out?
    In the same vein as the above you need to try and get other people on board to help you out. What if you are sick one night? What if you want a break? Also if your class gets bigger you are going to need a lot more people in the know to get things moving.

What will you do if...
    Someone has a question you can't answer? Your costs go up? A parent complains? Someone asks for a refund?

Keep in mind things that could go wrong and be as ready as you can be for them.

[size=+2]Expansion[/size]
    Where do you go from here? How do you get bigger if it comes to that? How do you get people more involved? Are there competitions, are there courses, away days, weekends etc?
    Nobody sane makes a club with the intention of it staying at 10 people. Presume things will get bigger and as they do start thinking about how you will address that.

One thing I think is really lacking with clubs is that too many work as an enclosed society. This is rife within the sport.
    If there is a course on, tell people about it. If it is beyond their level tell them about it and give them something to aim for. If there are other things in your local area they could get involved in, even other clubs tell them! Let them choose, let them progress.

Again with finance - if you set your club fees a little higher than necessary then over time you can build up money which can be used to get new things and fancy things.

Never underestimate the power of hand-me-downs from other places.

Mats, pads, punchbags, many of these things have a ridiculously long working lifespan. Aside from a bit of BO and bit of wear many will be just as useful when you get them as they day they were bought!

[size=+2]Conclusion[/size]
    What have we gained? Hopefully a lot, if nothing ... well I guess this was wasted energy.

In the end we can conclude it is all about planning, it's all about having the next step ready and thinking about the one immediately after. If you always have something set up you have one less thing to worry about when it comes to fruition.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Some very useful information here. Well done.

Regards,

Dan