Scenarios....

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Melanie, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hello All,

Just thought I would tell you about something that happened to a friend of mine last weekend. I just wondered what you might do under the same circumstances?

It was 3am Saturday monring, and in the dark street outside he heard lots of yelling outside. Rather than yell at them himself he decided to go out and ask them to keep it down a bit and he went outside to see what it was about. He found 2 men on the street yelling at each other, obviously drunk and possibly stoned as well. Upon asking them what was going on and to quiet down they approached me and began making threats. Unknown to me at the time one was carrying a small razor knife in his pocket.

He obviously tried to soothe the situation as best he can, unfortunately to no avail. He came away with injuries to his arm and chest and the police dragging them away. Fortunately he is in no trouble himself with the law.

Can you tell me what you would have done?

Melanie

2. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Car-jack scenario - agree with what others have said.

Drunks with razor - safe option is to retreat back into your flat and call the local police station.

If this is not an option then you will have to deal with the man with the knife. (Given that the two were arguing it is unlikely that they are going to work together against you). You have the major advantage of being sober - while it is true that you tend not to feel too much pain when you are drunk, your reactions are also a lot slower. A restraint technique might work but it depends how drunk they are, if they don't feel the pain then it wouldn't be too effective and you would probably be better off using a technique that breaks his wrist/arm. Again, as with my previous post, I have no sympathy for someone with a blade who is looking to use it on someone, reap what you sow etc.

Alternatively if you could avoid the weapon and dump the drunk on his **** then you would be able to:

1. Retreat into your flat and call the police, or
    2. Kick him in the head (this one is for Freeform!)

In my limited experience martial arts are based on the principle of defending yourself. If you can avoid the confrontation then do so!

Alternatively, make sure that you are carrying a katana when you go downstairs and then see how he gets on with his little knife!!!!

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Well unlike Silver I don't have a katana, but I've got a dandy pair of butterfly knives (thats not a knife.....).

Pretty much agree with Silver on this, you have a safe place to run, hide and phone the police, why not do this to start with? Drop knife guy hard and leg it. Restraints only really work when you have back-up (a mate or the police are coming) or one on one (and I'm not about to trust drunk stoned guy, he's probably the other guys brother or something), hit VERY hard and run VERY fast.

(Or if your Silver you could suplex the knife-guy onto the other guy and crush them both with your rugby international sized frame, hee hee).

4. waya

waya Valued Member

Ok, as I understand things, the blade is an unknown..... Not nice of the guy :)

Investigate the situation, if noone is in danger, move back inside and call the police.... Drunks are their problem :) lol

5. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

Drunken shouting and fights are at least a weekly occurence outside my flat as I live above a takeaway in the city centre. If it sounds like someone's getting a serious doing, I look out the window. I've called the police a couple of times for someone getting attacked by a group of men. I'd rather put up with a few minutes disturbed sleep than get stabbed.

6. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Good call fluffydoc! After all, we wouldn't want any wasted motion! You could always challenge them to an arm wrestle. The deal being that if you beat them they have to leave quietly. Why aren't you at work!?!?

7. Freeform

Come on Melanie, you can't have run out of ideas already?

8. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I hope not. PLEASE SEND MORE!!!

9. waya

waya Valued Member

hmmmmmmmm maybe she is thinking up a really tough one? *cringes* lol
    Can't wait for more myself.

Rob

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Melanie, can't post scenarios right now, as she is in mortal danger!

Melanie, is trapped in her Dojo, by seven Rabid Ninjas with poisoned chainsaws!

You have been drawn to the building by the smell of burning. A Dojo on fire. A Moderator in distress. A multiple attack scenario to die for!

What would you do?

Oh yes; the only weapon to hand is a box containing six eggs!:eek:

11. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Oh ide like to see what she does in this " scenario. hehe.

12. Freeform

Run like a chicken?

13. waya

waya Valued Member

have scrambled eggs and think about it.

lol

14. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Kickin the bloke in the head

You must be rough!
    Firstly all of us as martial artists have a responsibility for life. I would stop him from kicking the guy in the head, pin him down and hold for police and then file a complaint. Is it that simple?
    Thomas

15. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

New Scenario!!!

Hi Folks, this thread seems to have gotten forgotten about, and a lot of people had fun with it. So in an effort to revive it .............here's a scenario;

You are walking home alone, when you become aware of someone walking towards you from the opposite direction.

Something tells you that this is not just another passerby.

As you are about to pass each other, the figure steps in front of you and engages eye contact, asking if you can spare some change! His eyes seem slightly glazed, his balance is unsteady and he has one hand in the pocket of his jacket.

You have no change, and when you explain this, the person replies, " maybe I shall just cut you up then".

No weapons are visible, noone is within shouting distance, and you have a slightly injured ankle from training earlier.

What would you do?

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Step forwards, swing kick to the head and get out of there before the bouncers turn up.

17. Jack

Jack Valued Member

First Situation: 1

Second Situation: 3 - I'd try to calm him down, or distract him.

Third Situation: I'd try to calm him down.

Fourth Situation: Kick his ass. heh.

18. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

A Womans Perspective

Being a woman could alter the scenario somewhat. He may ask for more then change! I am also no blackbelt, so I don't have the added advantage of experience that others may have. It depends...if he does appear slightly worse for wear I would do one of two things.

1. He threatens to cut me up, I could act very frightened and start to back away, which feeds his state of mind (the element of power and control) and when he least expects it knee or toe into the groin by stepping forward, then clawing his face and getting the hell out of dodge!

2. Alternatively, I could surprise him immediately by standing up to him, which he probably won't expect anyway, me being female. It depends on the distance between us as well when he threatens me...I could move my hands up as to ward him away, thus shortening the distance to moving my hand up and poking him in the throat and running away, or in the eyes and running away. If he is too close, I could just kick him in the knee and walk away. He can't attack much if he can't walk....hmmm...but he can still throw a knife at me...no, I would still run away.

Actually thought of another thing I could do...I could completely throw him off I suspect by virtually throwing myself at him. This he shouldn't expect from a woman he has just threatened! I could then get myself into a position where I could either throw him, hit a pressurepoint or just plain disarm him. So much would depend on what state of mind I found the assailant in at the time...

(I wonder if any of it would work?)

Melanie

Last edited: Apr 21, 2002
  19. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Melanie,

In my opinion your second response is the least risky as it does not give him any time to control the situation. Any delay gives him the chance of grabbing you and taking control himself.

I think a 'full force' attack is the way I would deal with this as it seems highly likely that he is dangerous, even if he does not have a blade. However, if you are in a street with a lot of people passing by then you do not want to be seen as the 'attacker'!

I was in a similar position to this once in America where someone tried to sell me Crack. When I refused, he pointed out that he had a gun on him. He was completely off his face, and I had not trained in the martial arts for very long at this time either.

Luckily, he suddenly decided to leave me alone, and go and try his luck with someone else. I promptly ran off and phoned the police!

20. Freeform

Everyones forgotten about their ankle injury (I on the other hand, foot whatever, actually have one so here goes).

Depending on the range I'd stay away from him and walk around him keeping my eye on him, walk down the other side of the street and go home.

If he was rather close and I really felt he was going for it I'd either trap his pocketed hand with my left hand and give him a good right cross/Gyaku... or grab him, trapping the arm and sweep him into the pavement bloody hard... then kick him some, pull out my Butterfly knives and....