Scary Experience

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Drunken Miss Ho, May 27, 2005.

1. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

Tonight a man rang our doorbell, asking to use the phone, saying he had just been beaten up (about a mile away from our house). He seemed either shaken or drunk (but not visibly hurt), and was very persistent, trying all kinds of tricks to get me to open the door. I refused to open the door and told him repeatedly I would call an ambulance for him. I then called the cops, and he apparently wandered off down the street.

What was amazing to me was how tempted I was to open the door, or to bring a phone to him. I had to shut the "compassionate" (or stupid) part of me off. It's frightening to know that our instinct can often be exactly the wrong thing to do.

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Unless he had to crawl to the door, bleeding from various orifices (both natural or man made), I'd have done the same thing. It's amazing what people will try these days and said that we have to "shut off" our compassionate nature.
    Ya done good.

3. minimal

minimal New Member

That persistance is probably a warning sign. Apart from that, it's reasonable that you'd want to help.

Even letting him in might not be such a bad thing if you tucked a knife into your jeans and didn't turn your back on him figurally or literally.

But if his attacker(s) were not around, there's no reason he couldn't wait for the police etc. on the street.

Glad you're okay.

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

So it was you that woudn't open your door!

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

First of all you did the right thing. As a general note in any case like this (or if you get asked for help by someone who says they need food/shelter/etc.) is to call the police. While it may seem like a trival thing or you don't want to bother the police, it's actually part of their job to help people like this and get them connected with the correct social services folks (and I've been specifically told this by police).

But NEVER let someone into your house and NEVER go anywhere with anyone.

- Matt

6. Drunken Miss Ho

Naw you weren't the guy Prophet, he had a definite Boston/ New Englandah accent, didn't sound like a canuck at all. :D

7. Drunken Miss Ho

My roommate was saying she was glad I was home because she might have brought the phone out to him. In a way I'm glad it happened so we can discuss it and she can have an example of what to do if a similar situation happens to her. I'm also glad to know I did the right thing, despite temptation to do otherwise.
    But it's really crazy how not letting someone in your house and not going anywhere with anyone seems like total common sense, but when the situation actually arises, you have to force yourself to do it.

8. minimal

minimal New Member

It should be that you can trust everyone.

I am guessing it was never so.

I have heard that there is practically no theft in Japan, for example. But I've never been.

It's sad that we have to treat every stranger as a threat because of that percentage of people who really are. But I can't see any way out of it, that's where the planet's at.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You relied on your "true" instinct actually. Although you may be a compassionate person, in this case you were obviously aware of the possible danger of letting this man in to your home.... but calling for the police and/or an ambulance in this case was the right thing to do.

This is an all too played out scenario by attackers ... relying on the compassion of their intended victims

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Sounds to me like you were very smart Miss Ho! Obviously not Drunken on that occasion.

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Good for you. He tried to abuse your better nature, not having one himself. You saw through it. Congratulations.

12. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

You did the right thing, Miss Ho. The "wanting to use your phone" thing is a standard scenario. Sometimes it really is an innocent person who needs help, but why take a chance? Never let a stranger into your home to use the phone. Make the call yourself, instead.

13. XinXin

XinXin New Member

I almost fight a old man last night. Walking home he callme slut and yell at me when i walk past. i got scary and decide to not turn around to see him anymore. it felt he was going to get me from backside. he just standing there around the corner when i turn to go around, he say nothing till i pass him. i hear him move to me, so i grab my knife to stab him. but get lucky that he no follow me. I think i may have to stab this man... :cry: when i turn next corner i run to my home. and get inside to my weapon.

he is a crazy old man maybe 50 so not too old to hurt me, so glad he does not!!!

then i get home and am mad at myself for getting scary. I dont like to be feeling like that form a man. NO RIGHT!!! :bang:

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Sad but true, letting that person in can get you killed. I worked an adult homicide case back in law school. Two angelic looking teens went to the home of an elderly couple who lived about a mile from where my mom/dad/grandmom live. The couple let them in, gave them some munchies, and let them use a phone to call a twotruck for their broken down car.

The couple ended up dead. I couldn't even bring home case notes on that one. To this day, all my grandmother knows is "don't open the door during the day if you're alone". That's a terrible way to live, but sadly true today.

15. Hobbitlauncher

Hobbitlauncher Chronic Complaint Dept.

made a good choice dmh, that's happening more and more it seems, in fact back in college a guy a couple doors down from me was involved in some unsettling drug stuff, and his roommate had no idea, one night the roommate was in the apt alone and he got a knock on the door, when he went to see/ask who it was he got 2 shots of 12 gauge buckshot through the door, killing him near instantly.

sad times we live in

--edit-- and as far as "nobody noticing a guy with a shotgun" it was midnightish on a friday, so most people were either sleeping or partying, i was just at home playin counterstrike and didnt even hear it (until the police showed up) since, coincidentally i was using a shotgun and had my noise cancelling headphones on

Last edited: May 28, 2005