Scar Tissue inside of lip

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

My top lip was stitched back together after it splitting in half. After 5 months the swelling has gone pretty much all the way down, but I can still feel a the scar tissue inside of my lip. Im scared a punch to the face will bust it wide open. I googled it, there are 3 ways , one it naturally heals and goes away (It has made tremendous progress), surgery to cut it out? , injections to flatten it.

Anyone experienced in this field?

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Keep your guard up.

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Sort of... I used to have braces when I was in school and tended to get smacked in the mouth a lot, either through sports or just messing around. I have loads of small scars on the inside of the lower lip and near my molars on the inside of the cheek, still there after 20 odd years. I can feel them if I run my tongue across, but otherwise I think you just get used to it being there and don really notice.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I have the exact same thing as you ( well, pretty sure ) - a very thick vertical seam on the inside, like a cleft-lip surgery scar - There's a potential for a lot of bleeding - make sure you wear the best guards at all times - maybe even custom-made ones.

They can do ALOT of things now they couldn't do when I was coming up. With kids and all, I havent had the time to go and pretty things up. You should check with a few surgeons.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I had the same, bottom teeth went though my lower lip and the lip was put back together.

The scar is still there some 10 years later but I've never had a problem with it, it got cut a little in boxing once, I always assumed to would bust right open but it was no worse than any other split lip. Obviously I was pleased!

6. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Thanks guys. Belltoller I have the same thing. On the outside the scar is not bad at all, the inside of my lip if I pucker up like Im gonna kiss you see the scar is vertical , guess thats the way they stitched it. It used to be hard but now its soft, hope it just goes away but I doubt it due to the severity of the injury. Who knows im no doc. I will let you know my progress in December.