Sayoc template question

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Hi,
    Question for Airyu and any other sayoc guys on here, I understand that for each vital template there's a right hand template, a left hand template, and then a true left template. My question is do you guys ever drill the right hand template and the left hand templates with both side of the body? And with southpaws do you have them learn the templates with the left side as the "right side" instead? Just curious, Thanks.

2. vaquero

vaquero New Member

The answer is Yes. Meaning that we will train the template forwards,backwards,RH mirror image,LH mirror image,RH doing odd or even #'s,RH doing LH and vice versa,RH doing odd #'s in reverse order. Read on the Sayoc members forum for training methods that mixing it up you can come up with more than 100 different ways to execute any of the Vital Templates. As I have seen all Sayoc practioners learn the drills RH,LH and True Left no matter what your dominant hand. Airyu can correct me if I am wrong, LH VT are designed to beat the RH part of the VT's and the True Left come out or reveals itself when tapping and blades are in right and left hands for the feeder.

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Thanks, do you guys apply those same templates in sparring?

4. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello Guys,

Crucible - the templates are tools to help identify a system of targets within the body of the opponent. They are practiced in many, many variations (I have over 30 variations on just the # 3 of 9 template) ex, LHand doing the RHand template, Odd numbers only, backwards, upside down, even numbers only....so yes the can be performed as you are thinking. As for South Paws, they will go through the same Right side and Left side templates and the whole variety of applications, just as any other practitioner does. I have taught several students who were left dominent, to implement a right template and left template, then reversed them. After a while you learn the template is just a tool to help a student open up options, and provoke a response from their opponent, left hand or right hand will then be able to react appropriately to the opening.

Vaquero - Good answers!!

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net