Sayoc Kali

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by rabid_wombat, Feb 11, 2015.

1. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

I have an opportunity to attend a Sayoc Kali seminar, absolute beginner level. I'm largely unfamiliar with with Filipino Martial Arts beyond having seen some performed, so I have no system bias; but admittedly also no experience to know whether this is "good" Kali or not. So, I'm looking for any opinions, if any are available on this system/tradition/lineage. Anyone have experience with it?

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Is it good kali or bad kali? The only person who can decide that is you!

They like knives a lot. It's a respected system.

Go, train, tell us what you think!

3. rabid_wombat

Yeah, the focus on knives seemed a little odd to me as what little FMA I've seen involved stick and knife or just sticks. Glad to know that it is a respected system, I'm looking more forward to it now. The seminar is next month, but will definitely post a follow-up after attending.

4. Bozza Bostik

Different systems have a different take on the weapons. In many systems the stick is just a blade, but blunt.....and less stabby....and therefore less killey. It's a cheap training weapon basically.

I am not that up on FMA history, but I think the stick was used to replace blunt blades to train with and then they became a specific weapon themselves when people realised they had their own strengths, weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages.

I think there is other systems out there that are pretty much blade only. Or heavily blade orientated.

So, nothing unusual about systems prefering blades to sticks in FMA.

I'd go for it. I'd like to look at it myself, I've heard good things about the style.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The Sayoc family (and, by extension, Sayoc Kali) are well respected. I met a couple of them years ago when I first started FMA. And before there was a Sayoc Kali, come to that. Back then, I think they were teaching Pekiti Tirsia (which is part of the foundation for Sayoc).

Don't let the blade emphasis throw you. Most experienced FMAers would contend that it was always a heavily blade-oriented art anyway. Sayoc just focuses on knife from the get go, foregoing the usual stick intro.

If you're concerned about it being legit, don't be. It's not necessarily my cup of tea. But there's no question that it's recognized FMA.

6. Bozza Bostik

And don't be put off by it being a "newer" system. FMA is kinda different to a lot of Asian martial arts, lineage is important, but whether the art is 10 or a 100 years old doesn't really matter. The important thing is if the art works or not.

FMA are pretty hybrid and a lot of practitioners are quite happy to cross train in other arts and use what they like. It's perhaps a cultural thing.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Definately worth attending.

You'll hear the occasional citicisim regarding the blade belts the Sayok guys wear.

Their arguement is how often do us non belt wearers practice drawing the blade?

Instructor says, "okay now we're doing knife" and off we trundle to our kit bags and grab a knife. They will actually practice drawing the blade.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  8. rabid_wombat

Thanks for all the information and encouragement to dive into it. I'm really looking forward to it now. :)

9. rabid_wombat

The seminar was amazing! Learned some really interesting things, made me re-think some things from my experience in karate and kuk sool, which is great; re-evaluation is important to me for growth. It was like discovering a huge void in my training that I didn't even know was there. Going to try to get in with the hosting school's practice group.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I saw a Sayoc Kali guy fall down the stairs one time.
    He was stabbed 12 times.

11. rabid_wombat

That is great, some of the guys did look like some sort of dire porcupine had attacked their waists.