savate coup de pied crocodil?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by ap Oweyn, Jul 1, 2004.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Can any savateurs out there describe the coup de pied crocodil for me? Is it analogous to kicks from other styles? How does it differ?

Cheers.

Stuart

Edit: Did a little digging. The coup de pied bas resembles a cross kick (or sipa in FMA). But I still can't find references to the crocodil.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Ap O,
    I am not a Savateur, but I surmise that the kick 'Coup de pied Crocodil' is a version of the Thai kick 'Charoke Fad Hang' (Crocodile swings its Tail), a Spinning Back Heel kick.

I may be way wrong, but as not a single Savate Bod answered you yet, out of courtesy, I felt that I would....

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey thanks! I appreciate that.

You know, that makes some sense. I don't know what coup de pied literally means. But if it refers to the heel being used as the striking surface, then the spinning hook kick would definitely makes sense. And I haven't come across another savate term for that technique.

Cheers SoKKlab!

Stuart

4. SoKKlab

Stuart,
    Coup de Pied just means to Kick with the Foot (pied).

Coup de pied bas (or Ba) means Low kick.

It's the Crocodil thing that makes me surmise that it's a spinning backheel job, the way that a Crocodile swings its tail, as described by the Thai name for what may be the technique in question.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Makes sense to me. Now I'll have to go back to the notes I found that featured the term and see if a spinning hook kick makes sense in that combination.

Thanks again soKKlab.

Stuart

6. SoKKlab

Stuart,
    there are a couple of well-qualified savateurs on this Forum, including Ollie Batts (Pugil??), see if they come along and give you a conclusive answer...

Maybe they should just give you a 'Gallic Shrug'.....:)

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

As long as that's nothing like a "Glasgow handshake." Read: Headbutt

:)

Actually that brings up another savate question (hoping that any savate guys crop up). Is "savateur" the proper term? I've heard that refers specifically to a female savate player. While "savateuse" is the male version.

Of course, I've also read precisely the opposite. So I'm a little confused.

8. SoKKlab

Surely it would be the other way around if anything, Savateur being Masculine???.

Ie Chanteuse (A Foxy Femme)...God knows, my French only extends to Eating and Le Amour, so i'm only any use if you want Pasty and Chips twice or a 'Maka De Love'....:p

Absolutely no use for Savate, but great for a night out in Pigalle...

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh, I know sod all about French. In the US, it seemed to make more sense to study Spanish, quite frankly. :)

But I've seen contradictory websites that listed it both ways. And I don't know enough about French to know whether -eur is masculine and -uese is feminine (though -uese certainly sounds more feminine).

For the record, I always want a pasty and chips. Pasties are actually one of my biggest regrets about leaving England. :)

As for the 'maka de love', I'll have to rely on my wit and charm.

I'm doomed.

10. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

Is that not the french version of the jimmy nail classic crocodile shoes?

11. SoKKlab

You're showing your age....

....and surely that would be Jimmy Le Nail...Non???

12. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

at 25 he gracefully accepts pipe and slippers, and yeah your probably right my french grammer was never that good :)

13. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Savate terms

Sorry for only just stumbling onto this Savate-related question.

The term 'coup de pied' (as someone else has already correctly pointed out) simply means 'kick'. The term 'coup de pied bas' can indeed simply mean 'low kick', only nowadays it usually refers to a particular type of low kick, not seen much in other systems.

I personally have not heard the term 'coup de pied crocodil' before. Maybe it refers to someone's pet crocodile being naughty, resulting in someone giving it a kick! :D

A Savateur is someone who practises Savate. A Tireur is a male boxer, and a Tireuse is a female boxer.

Please post if you require further clarification etc., as it's getting quite late and I am rather tired! :)

Pugil

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. Thanks for answering

It resembles the sipa in FMA. Particularly the scooping variation of the sipa (as opposed to the downward stomping version).

Personally, I think I'd opt to give the crocodile a stern talking to. From across the room. And behind several sheets of plexiglass.

Gotcha. Thanks.

That'll about do it. Cheers.

Stuart

15. markyg

markyg MAP Muppet

Glasgow Kiss = headbutt!!!

Pronounced: Glasgae Kiss!!! :D

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That makes more sense. :)

Guess that's what comes from learning your Glasgow slang from somewhere other than Glasgow. (I visited Edinburgh and, very briefly, Falkirk last summer.)

Stuart