Sarongs

Discussion in 'Silat' started by serakmurid, Jan 2, 2007.

1. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

Happy New Year!
    Would anyone be so kind as to post links to companies that sell sarongs specifically for Pencak Silat?
    Thank you!

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

www.inosanto.com might be a handy one for you.

www.cimande.net has some very nice ones.

www.1worldsarongs.com has a huge selection.

3. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

A sarong specifically for silat? Best thing to do is to wear clean undies and loose fitting trousers!

Where I come from a sarong is a sarong! It's a piece of material (normally cotton) sown together to make a tube.
    Sarongs have the utility use for being a sleeping bag as well, and when I was a kid, among the lower classes it used to be worn knotted around the waist during the day.
    The priyayi wouldn't wear a sarong during the day. My grandfather would wear a batik kain or white drill trousers depending on the occassion.

I've heard that there are forms designed specifically for the sarong and the slendang ... I can make some forms up for you using the beer bottle if anyone is interested ... hehe :D

Salam
    Krisno

4. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

5. ats

ats Valued Member

check out cold steel's sarongs and the Ron Balicki DVD that they stock...good stuff...

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Blue Butterfly in Portland sells some very nice sarongs from Bali and Java at very reasonable prices. They do mail order, too.

7. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

I think the item in question is sampin, for wearing around the waist, or selendang for actually fighting with.

you would not wear full length sarong for fighting IMHO.

8. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

I was really just looking for a "tube" style sarong for practice/class.
    Thank you for all the help. :)

9. rizal

rizal Valued Member

or you can ask one of the indonesians here to send you one :Angel:

10. apibumiayrudara

apibumiayrudara New Member

11. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

HI All,
    imho sarong skills are one of the most useful weapons skills you can learn.
    Carrying a blade I face a fine or jail sentence , carrying a scarf I just look debonair. :love:
    Wrap some coins in the end and away you go. :eek:

Also as Mas Krisno stated earlier , the sarong is such a versatile and useful item who would leave home without one.

Seriously though , I have seen some of the worst and most impractical martial arts in the world demonstrated using the cindai, mainly complicated locks and trapping - would be great if you were operating at at least double speed to the other guy, otherwise forget it.

The best cindai I have seen is in silat melayu and it is an open ended scarf weighted at one end.
    This style is from Perak where the sarongs are not traditionally sewn into a loop.

Following that is Cindai jantan , a sarong rolled and then knotted , this is used for striking and clubbing rather than trapping.

The motor skills gained from this practise can also easily be transfered to other legal weapons such as a chain or a piece of rope.

Happy New Year Everyone.

sulaiman

www.silat-gayong.com

www.silat.f9.co.uk

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  12. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Guess a Scarf would be useful, hadn’t really thought about that.
    Those chain key rings reminds me of my School days, some guys would carry them as weapons. Another favorite was a telescopic car arial and those key rings that are attached to a spring loaded real of cheese wire type material……Btw, I wasn’t one of them :D

13. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The most useful weapon? I dunno. Given my lifestyle a small knife, a pistol or a stick is a lot more applicable.

14. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

Hi Tellner,

No , not THE most useful weapon, but one of them - mainly for the legal issues.
    I am thinking about security work ( here we cannot carry guns ) door work, on the street etc, but now you have us interested .. what is your lifestyle ! ;)

15. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Hmmm ... I think the most useful weapon in today's context is probably a ball-point pen :D .

Salam,
    Krisno

16. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Thank god it’s not legal for door men to carry weapons because some of them…….well, I don’t need to say anything ;)

17. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I live in an area where concealed carry of firearms is legal as are pocket knives. If the situation doesn't call for deadly force I can probably get away, use something improvised, de-escalate or use empty hand skills. If it does there really isn't any good substitute for a credible threat of deadly force.

I don't have a job that makes a lot of tools-as-weapons practical. If I were in construction a roofing hammer or similar would be dandy. I'm not a security guard or bouncer, so Tasers and OC are not that useful. Impact weapons like saps or collapsible batons are legal if they are not concealed, but there's an excellent chance that they will be ruled "deadly force". Carrying and using one will probably be an automatic downcheck on the all-important Police Attitude Test. On the other hand, every cop seems to have a lockback folder and a pistol.

18. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

I agree, I picked up three sarongs and the Cold Steel Sarong DVDs at the last Cold Steel parking lot sale & was very impressed. It's pretty easy to have around, with my 1yo daughter, I got to use it like a papoos or something like that.
    Loading it w/ a rock or something is just genius. It reminded me of that Seagal movie where he beat up God... er, I mean, Dan Inosanto, in the bar. He put the pool ball in the towel. Damn did that thing do some damage.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sweet Jesus... please tell me you're not paying the prices they're asking for those sarongs!!! :eek: If so... you're being robbed absolutely blind!!! :bang:
    Christ.. at those prices I'd better set up an import/export business!:eek:

http://www.coldsteel.com/as1.html

The sarong stuff does look interesting. Not too sure how far it would make sense in the western world where wearing a sarong would stand out miles off... but in much of Asia and South Asia I can see it making sense to a degree.

With you're 1 year old it'd make a lot of sense... the sarong is about the most multi-use item you're ever gonna own. Even in Hong Kong where everyone has the newest and latest hi tech gear... you still see lot of old Chinese ladies and Indonesian maids using a sarong to carry young babes around.

In Nepal and India people pretty much have a sarong everywhere they go.. or at least some sort of bandanna or length of cloth. Even here in Hong Kong a scarf or a muffler is common during the cold parts of the year. I guess you might be able to pull of the same thing anywhere they had cold weather I suppose that doesn't traditionally have a sarong type cloth in normal weather.

Does Inosanto have an instructional out on the sarong?

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  20. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Haha,

I was thinking the same thing Slip. I bought a decent quality 'looped' sarong last week for a grand total of 1.50GBP :rolleyes:

I almost filled up a spare bag to bring back & knock 'em out for a fiver each on ebay. Next time maybe.

Same goes for a baju silat, I've seen them advertised for stupid amounts. Genuine IPSI baju silat is around 4-6 quid.

And yes a piece of cloth, whether sarong, lunghi etc. has a miriad of uses in Asia, however I'd feel a complete ...... walking around in Europe wrapped in ikat :love: