Sanshou vs other styles

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by furinkazan, Jun 16, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Ok, so as Im adjusting some training and life goals at the moment, one thing Im thinking of doing is checking out a few kickboxing type styles, and one thing Im wondering about is Sanshou. Ive got some plans to go abroad to china to look at some other styles, but Sanshou seems quite popular and it had me thinking.

From what I understand there is a seperate Sanshou style used by the chinese military. Im thinking of looking at Sanshou since Im taking an interest in chinese styles after training some at the moment, any distinction between these two styles?

How comparable is Sanshou to other styles? I like training forms and applications now in what Im training, but I think honestly after a while I'd like to go into something thats more straightforward, like Muay Thai, Kickboxing or Sanshou. From my understanding, Shuai Jiao techniques are in Sanshou, which is cool, I got to train some Shuai Jiao a while ago but it ended up being a faf to get to regularly.

Sanshou does look interesting, but is it much different than kickboxing, or sparing in other chinese styles

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mauy Thai + wrestling + axe kicks & hook kicks = Sanshou

3. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

sounds pretty good, where do I sign up :p

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Think someone posted previously one of the Shaolins in London that taught San shou.

The other thing about the SanShou takedowns is that in the rule set, you cant have more than 3 points touching the ground, otherwise it wont score.
    A lot of Muay Thai guys in the circuit take San Shou comps likewise with kickboxers. Just a ruleset difference.

5. Pretty In Pink

You were asking about it so I assumed you had a place lined up.

6. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

there's one lined up.

7. Pretty In Pink

Good luck. I'm envious.

8. embra

embra Valued Member

Bona fide Sanshou teachers are not found too easily. Sifu Ben is one though. I did train with Wim Demeere in Belgium a few years back - and not long enough - one of the best MA teachers that I know of any 'style'.

Sanshou is a very generic term - like Kung Fu - and means differing things to different people.

There are a few Sanshou competitions around, with different rules - sometimes throws and locking are allowed, unlike Muay Thai rules where knees and elbows are allowed. As best as I understand matters, Sanshou and Muay Thai compete with each other and different rules, about evenly.

Sifu Ben will know a lot more than me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  9. Pretty In Pink

Good luck. I'm envious.

10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

go to it, and have fun! I've started it, and it's good, kicks, punches and takedowns, what more do you want?

11. Pretty In Pink

PHP:
    Submissions :evil:

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Submissions?

This is sanshou!
    [​IMG]

13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

That's why you cross train in something with those ;)

to the OP: mind if I ask what club? if it's local to me I wouldn't mind some extra sessions!

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What are the differences re throws/clinch between it and Muay Thai? Sanshou seems to have more "classical" throws from my position as a casual observer.

Not seen much, I might be completely wrong of course! :D

Mitch

15. Pretty In Pink

You can engage your hip more and you can drop your level too. Allowing for hip tosses and more singles and doubles.

16. Mushroom

The sweeps can be the same and you can do more judo style throws but you (as the thrower) I think have to remain standing otherwise it doesnt score.
    Doesnt mean however you can't use it to wear out the opponent first though :evil:

17. Pretty In Pink

I also love that the tournaments happen on an elevated platform that you can throw people off of.

18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Three points of contact rule considers your downed and you have to throw your opponent without being downed yourself. It means you can't take things like a single or double while dropping a knee or do sacrifice throws, but other than that all throws and takedowns are legal.

19. Mushroom

Yup I mentioned in an earlier post, but yeah my San Shou is very limited.

I remember having a quick spar with SS rules. (back when I had 2 working knees). I would pick the other guy up and dump him down hard.
    I wouldn't score but I would be getting up a lot easier than him :)

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You're allowed to intentionally ground yourself to throw provided you are on your feet within 3 seconds for a 2 point throw. If you go over with the throw it's a one point throw.