Sanchin Ryun

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by raaeoh, Feb 28, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My brother and his family study a style called sanchin ryu. They claim to be a non profit. They keep costs down so any one can study.

I am very skeptical about this 50 yr old style. One flag was you no longer have to pay once you become a black belt. The brown belts in his class have been brown for many years even though they tell my brother 4 to 5 yrs to a black belt. Another flag was the websites.

I am trying to get home to switch to any other sTyle. There are many to choose from. What are your thoughts on this?

Here are a few links.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCC93rXEVs"]LISD Adult Learning Services Sanchin-Ryu Karate - YouTube[/ame]

https://www.sanchinsystems.com/

2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

It looks like some kind of hippy MA school to me, such as can be associated with aikido or tai chi. I certainly wouldn't want to go there for SD/MA training; even the drills shown in the video were sloppy. Certainly if your brother believes that he is getting good self defence training I would be concerned. I wouldn't try and push him into something else, though. Nothing wrong with trying to convince him he isn't getting what he thinks he is, but I wouldn't push it; maybe he actually is getting what he wants out of it.

3. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Not good, no history or lineage, everybody talks about how fab it is, meeting new people, camaraderie etc. Videos show very poor mechanics, basic postures very poor, little power in strikes, just looks like rubbish to me. It might be good and wholesome fun, but self-defence it definitley ain't!

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Definitely a hippie school if they've got LSD in their name.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It looks a lot like it's main focus is on "personal development" stuff, with some version of karate being just the means through which its more socially-orientated elements are delivered. Certainly it doesn't look like the standard of the karate is the main focus as there didn't appear to be much difference between the various belts in their karate ability.

6. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Purely Self Defense based"? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Absolute crap - the statement and the style. Seriously it is an utter joke and anyone saying otherwise is either lying or deluded....probably both

One of the worst videos I have seen actually, and I haver seen some dross let me tell you

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I thought it was a more family friendly Enter the Dojo initially.

9. aka The Clerk

P'raps it should be renamed "The Art of Learning How Not to Really Be Doing a Martial Art but Kind of Doing Something That Sort of Resembles One While Making Life Long Friends and Stuff".

Palkido?

Friendjutsu?

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

The class in that vid looks like the kind of thing you send your self-conscious child to go to so they can feel better about themselves and maybe feel like they're doing something MA themed. Which is perfectly fine if that is what you're looking for.

But there is absolutely nothing to do with SD that I can see there. At all. Certainly not martial/combative at all.

11. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think! :D

Yup, don't think I've seen karate that bad, doesn't even look like it tbh.
    You must abduct you brother and his family and get them to a reprogrammer :D
    I couldn't see the mist, but I think it's the Hathor drug in use :)

12. Kurai

Kurai Valued Member

Hopefully your brother is not paying these people....

13. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

The teacher is happy and smiley, lets hope that it is not because of her pupils pay checks.the standard is one of the lowest I have seen, but if people are having fun great go for it

14. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

No, don't, do something else, anything else, it's even worse than the Christian karate stuff I've seen...

15. raaeoh

So i took 1 of 2 free sessions. It is worse than the video portrays. I have convinced my brother to try a few other schools. Hopefully an intervention will not be needed.

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

1) No criticism intended, but why did you try it?

2) How could it possibly be worse than the vid?! :wow:

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Need a shower after watching that! brrrrr...

Amazed people are training this and worse believing in it. Even an untrained eye can see its a load of rubbish.

Great that they are getting the camaraderie and social benefits but heavly overweight students claiming they have been training 11 years in that video shows me all I need to know about the intensity of training so would call it at best a light workout... Pilates anyone?

How is this still possible in 2014?

Dan

18. raaeoh

I tried it because my bro said it was not like it was in the video. He was right. It was way more silly. They played simon says. They train to fight extremly close. Almost like they were about to grapple, but they dont.
    They claim that sparring is bad because it breaks down the soul, and you will keep techniques from your training partners.
    Dont even get me going on how the kids behaved in the class.

19. aka The Clerk

I just watched the video again (wasting time while my little guy naps) and she actually says at the beginning of the video that it's strictly self defence.

I must have missed the part in the video where they show a decent self defence technique?