Sanatan Shastarvidiya

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Combat Sports, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Stumbled across this and found it interesting. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_WT80rZ-E&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]Sanatan Shastarvidiya - Platha [Unarmed Combat] - YouTube[/ame]

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Pat O'Mailey did a seminar with Niddar Singh and approved so that's good enough for me.

Historical is all accurate. especially considering Niddar Singh does a lot for museum exhibit on indian weapons.

His use of the Kara (metal bracelet) for knuckle dusters made perfect sense compared to the explanation i've heard about protecting your wrists only.

3. Mangosteen

my younger cousins are taking up classes under one of his students and i'd really like to try it out because they apparently do malla yudda and pehlwani wrestling techniques.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Interesting that not touching the lower castes with your hands is part of it.

Found the "these guys are coconuts" comment funny, I like his style.

Nothing new under the sun as to how to move and mess people up though, but that's to be expected.

5. Mangosteen

yeah the coconuts bit is why hes getting big in the sikh community

sikh are supposed to be warriors but without the hard nut village lifestyle, kids are tin cans

6. David Harrison

Um, he meant they're brown on the outside but white on the inside because they naturally fight like Europeans. Is that how you understood it?

The propensity for moving outside off-line then unbalancing whilst attacking c-line targets reminded me of silat I've seen, but I don't know enough to say what kind of silat it was.

7. Mangosteen

he means they have european mannerisms and replicate what they see in european cinema

8. David Harrison

I'm guessing the guy he was doing the demo with had done boxing and/or another MA before he started training with him.

Anyway, looks like a cool teacher, personable and funny. Not what I'd describe as "masterful" movement, but the system(s) look solid enough from those tidbits, though perhaps not a quick return on training investment. The use of distance and angles actually reminded me of Ninjutsu.

I think he must be a pretty good publicist too, I remember seeing him in the papers and on TV a few years ago.

9. Mangosteen

he shuffle into the teep - maybe kick boxing?

oh gods... not ninjutsu...

but yeah from the slow return invest im guessing it's similar to something like ninjutsu or koryuu.

im wondering where the short hand program of these systems are.
    from what i understand of the historical context everyone got some amount of training but it was certain groups of sikhs that were full time soldiers and everyone else was auxiliary and stuck to their other tasks like farming, carpentry, black smithing etc.

so what was the short hand version for the auxiliary?

10. David Harrison

Interesting thought about shorthand form!

Lol @ your ninjaphobia, but I only mentioned it because the "sneaky" uses of line and distance are a big part of Ninjutsu publicity, not because it is unique to it.

Interesting stuff though, I'll have to look for more videos. I wonder if you have to be Sikh to take a class?

11. David Harrison

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah, but you don't need to go to Japan to do it...Just to exotic Wolverhampton.

It's certainly interesting. Not something I'd want to study full time, but I'd love to check out a seminar or something. I see a lot of similarities with the distancing and movement to FMA and silat. And you can see the 3 together here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKFgt080Jc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKFgt080Jc[/ame]

Edit: I'm not a big silat fan...Maul's (sp?) stuff looks good though.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  13. David Harrison

Looks like that was an interesting seminar.

Can't believe that O'Mailey guy said that the thigh and shin were both as long as the forearm though, that was a bit embarrassing.

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

No idea...I'm not stretchy enough to compare my forearm to my shin. :D

I wouldn't mind attending one of those seminars. It would be nice to see the 3 arts "back to back". Seems like it's a bit of a laugh too.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Mr O'Malley might stick his head in on the thread, he's a MAP regular.

16. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

Interesting...

By the way, do you guys have any video of this master or anyone else teaching how to use the Katar / push knife? For all its presence in videogames and pop culture, I have never seen an example of how it is supposed to work, and I'm curious.

17. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I was actually gonna post this a week ago but I forgot. I saw a video of it on Youtube and thought it was actually kinda interesting. Very very different stuff from what I've experienced/seen in the past. Even though I'm not Indian, I'm still technically South Asian, so it's kind of interesting that there's actually a martial arts style originating from that area that's competent enough in the modern world to be compared to other modern MAs (whew, what a run-on sentence).

18. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Very interesting the video! Didn't know of this martial art. I did know of the influence of the indian martial arts in eastern martial arts.

It seems very logical and sound. Reminds me a lot of taijitsu, jujutsu. The initial defense position with hands down (walking) is very jujutsu like. The avoid attack, etc.

19. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Ninjutsu has its original origins in India too, might I add. Makes one wonder what else the Chinese (and then Japanese) learned from India in regard to other aspects of their MAs.

20. Mangosteen

waiting for "india home of martial arts" but to explode before i drop a historical context bomb on you all.