san shou Chinese kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Tin tin, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

Just started doing san shou Chinese kickboxing . Been doing it for round 10 weeks now , all we seem to do is line work . Some times we a little warm up some times we don't . Just want to know if it's me but I'm getting a little bored of this . Trying to get my self going by saying the only different's between me and a black belt is the belt belt didn't give in . Just don't know how much longer i can go on just doing line work for an hour 3 times a week . If it's me fine.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What do you mean by 'line work'?

Also when you say you've been training for 10 weeks what does that actually mean. How many hours per day/week are you training? If you train once a day for an hour 10 weeks isn't very long at all. If you train twice a day for two hours then it starts to become something.

3. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

San shou kickboxing

I do san shou kickboxing 3 times a week for an hour each time. By line work I mean just standing there going up and down the hall in a line going over the moves my instructor shouts out.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like an absolutely horrible class. A lot of stuff that popped up on Google for San Shao Chinese Kickboxing gives me the impression that it is a combat sport, meaning classes should be made up of learning a technique or two, conditioning, bag work, and sparring. Not going up and down a line of people . . . ?

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Is it something like this? If it is, it's just to develop a set of tools in your toolbox. Some coaches start with 2 men drills first. Others start with solo drills first. Either approaches will lead you toward the same place.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbnIotO7aD4"]sanshou - YouTube[/ame]

6. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

San shou

Cheers don't want stop as later on you do bit of wing chun and lau gar kung fu and self defence stuff . Some times think the instructor is just building my speed .

7. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Triple post?

Anyway, it hasn't been too long, but if you feel like your development is being stunted by the drills you are doing, then ask the instructor what kinds of training you'll likely see in the future. I'm sure it will be more line drills, but ask about if there will be sparring, partner drills, etc. See what he says. Its his school, so you can't change what he teaches, but you can find out.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I'm sure partner drills and sparring will come in soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LvzAIJQvaU"]sanshou1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyhK4AsAsaY"]Taiwan sc 4 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4gh_JrK9c"]Taiwan sc 5 - YouTube[/ame]

This is what you want to achieve - kick, punch, lock, throw integration.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nz0o_VDDo"]Sanshou 6 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

So is this a Lau Gar/Wing Chun club that does a bit of San Shou or is this a San Shou club that does a bit of Wing Chun/Lau Gar?

I ask partly because Lau Gar is quite well known for point fighting/kick boxing more than San Shou (from what little I know about it). It would be interesting to know how your clubs San Shou has developed and where the standing grappling component has come from.

Just askin' :' )

LFD

10. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

white dragon

The style gar come from a person called bob denny he study wing chun and lau gar kung fu then later study karate and san shou. He went on to form a style call Bac loonig kung fu . Then a person called a Hughes joined the club who was a tae kwon do black belt . The club is now call white dragon and are based in cornwell

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

San Shou kickboxing

''Throws and grappling are introduced at brown belt by which time students have learned how to fall safely. The style is easy to learn and techniques are combined at a quick pace, producing an excellent self defence and fitness system''

I see that your club trains on ? hardwood floors. Does the club also have mats or use a matted area sometimes? I can't see you people doing much realistic throwing without some sort of mats. I am a bit confused about waiting until brown belt to allow you to learn to fall safely if you don't train these skills until that level. In judo we learnt to fall pretty well as soon as we started the first class. Have you seen this class at all and do they wear pads/shin guards, gloves or head gear when they train/spar?

I don't want to denigrate people at all but I can't see anything on the web page that would give me confidence that you are going to learn much in the way of practical San Shou skills. One night a week for 2 hours doesn't seem like that much time to become proficient especially since one has to wait until they are at a brown belt level.. Have your guys entered any San Shou competitions?

I am not sure if this is just a bit of confusion about the names of all the stuff happening in your club but are you doing ''Bac Loong'' (attending some of the various types of kung fu classes) or actually attending the San Shou classes?

Maybe a good question would be, how long does it take to become a brown belt? The impression I am getting so far is that you could learn a lot more, a lot faster doing a proper sport oriented art if that is the direction you are leaning towards.

Just sayin'

LFD

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  13. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

San shou

Spoke to my instructor today. He says that he's making sure are kicks punches and stance is right before we move on to are next belt . In bac loong gar saw sparing at orange plus start to add bits of wing chun lau gar as well . As we get higher I'm told he'll start adding more advance stuff.
    I was watching him today and he's lighting fast , so it makes me all the line work will pay off.

14. k3hungsing

k3hungsing New Member

This is what the sanshou/sanda training looks like at the school I train at in chicago.

http://youtu.be/7gjGCHY0Svc

typically its easier to learn sanda after you have a base in a traditional kung fu style. all the guys in the vid learned choy lay fut for at least 6 months before they began sanda training.

IMO, the way I see Sanshou/sanda drilled in many tcma schools is too static(line drills) to develop the needed attributes for full contact competition

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  15. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

video

We do nothing like that what I say in your video. Just only the couple of lessons we started do pad work that's only because I was on facebook and I sent a message to another club member saying that the lessons where get a bit boring . The instructor found out about it so he's started to do pad work in the lessons . But saying that he's started been funny with me since then thinking of just leaving the club due to the club instructor been a bit arsey with me and every thing a do. Even started going on about what put on facebook.

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Bak Long Gar? Gar is a traditional family style not smething that you put at the end of your own home made system. That alone screams charlitan! If he's scared of what his students opinions on face book are then he probably feels that he can't defend the way he's teaching. I'd find another school.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I don't think I've ever seen linework at a San Shou school.

18. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

We actually did a lot of it in our school but it was always mixed with other types of drills as well.

19. Sanshou New

Sanshou New New Member

Bren 40

Our sanshou is ran to the syllabus we start drilling new members in basic kicks punches and blocks just for white as students progress they learn more and more its sounds as if you want to run before you stand. All martial arts train to a basic good foundation and then students progress.As to sanda throws no students who are new members or low sahes should not be told how to grapple lock and throw other students until they have learnt the basics and even taught control as the instructor who would do this is not very good and potentially putting students at risk.
    We also work on hardwood floors but when we introduce the rolls locks and throws we mat the full room with 40mm judo and akido mats.
    It's sounds if you are unhappy with you teacher. There is a quote we always tell our students ( a student chooses his teacher the teacher does not choose their student)
    We think you have to have a good think Bren40 what's best for you

20. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

Trying to do two different styles never really works. One very traditional and one modern love them both too bits two great instructors.
    When I posted this I had my head in the clouds came with a know it all attitude . I had to take a back step and see the big picture and do a lot of growing up to do.
    It was a silly thing to posted and wish I could take it back , but I can't so stuck with it and I have to pay the price.
    Bang god I'm great at pressing the self destruct not onc or twice but three times.
    Never mind mr new san shou don't think can cope with doing two styles one karate and one kung fu . Need to forcus on just one , as which one don't know but I do know I've had to do a lot of growing up this last year. I'll always look back and think of those two great instructors.
    Sounds to me your you know what your talking about, could use some of that wisdom .