Sampsi's Sadomasochistic log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Sampsi, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Sampsi

Sampsi Valued Member

Hi chaps,

Let me begin by saying I'm not a very fit or healthy lad and with the time that I find on my hands I have decided to improve myself, therefore I shall be whipping my body into shape as fast as possible.

I'll give you a breakdown of me as it stands.

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 166lbs
    Waist size: 34"
    Body fat %: 18%
    Resting heart rate: 64bpm

I'm going to review this in the new year and hopefully all will have improved, even with Christmas ahead. :p

I hope to improve my body fat % the most, I would sorely like to get it down to somewhere around 6%.

As I'm not massively fit I've decided to try and build things up day by day and keep myself to a low carb diet.

This is what I have done today:

3 mile run in 27 mins, it was more a 1.5 miles in 10 mins and then a slog back with me realising that I may not be entirely over my cold as of yet.

100 press-ups, in sets of 20 throughout the day.

150 sit-ups, in sets of 30 throughout the day.

1 hour kihon and kata training

A final 3 mile run which was done in 29 mins, much closer to the 10 min miles I was planning, though still faster in the first half.

Right that's the exercise for today and I plan to build more bodyweight work into it as time progresses and more variety. Onto the food.

Breakfast: 3 rashers of fried bacon
    2 fried eggs
    1 cup of tea, skimmed milk (1% fat) and no sugar
    All this I had after the run and first set of press-ups and sit-ups in the morning.

Lunch: 1 slice of ham
    4 cubic inches of mature cheddar, I do like my cheese :D
    1 slice of salami
    1 cup of tea, as above

Supper: 2 baked chicken breast
    3 fried sausages

Along with this I have probably drunken about 2 litres of water throughout the day.

Any advice on any of it on how best to lose the fat would be greatly appreciated, though I don't have any equipment to use exercise wise and I tend to prefer bodyweight exercises to weights in a gym.

Hopefully this log will boost my activity levels and make me awesome otherwise I shall collapse in a huddle and die of exhaustion :D

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I would suggest adding some vegetables to that diet, maybe even a bit of fruit. Small quantities won't add much to your carb intake, but will add a great deal to your vitamin and mineral intake which is important for both the proper digestion of the other food as well as your cellular health in general. You probably should also look at getting some healthy fats in there too - do you like nuts? The selenium will be good for your mental health.

At the very least, take a good quality vitamin tablet. :)

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

From what I see, you're really not all that bad off. The ability to run a complete 3 miles right off the cuff, from a sedentary lifestyle is not bad at all, though, of course, it is far from a fighting fit physiology that you want.

Great start

4. Sampsi

Sampsi Valued Member

Right, after working out some techno mishaps I am finally able to log on again and post.

Long story short over the few days I haven't logged:

Sunday 11/12/11:
    vomiting all day, thus no food or exercise.

Monday 12/12/11:
    Same as the day before :(

Tuesday 13/12/11:
    Getting better but still couldn't manage any exercise, so food was:

Breakfast: cup of brazil nuts
    1 cup of tea, skimmed milk (1% fat) and no sugar

Lunch: slice of ham
    2 cubic inches of cheddar

Dinner: 1 breast of baked chicken

About 4 litres of water throughout the day.

Wednesday 14/12/11:
    Still not 100% but almost there, tried some press-ups and sit-ups but didn't go well:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch: slice of salami
    2 cubic inches of cheddar
    1/2 cup of brazil nuts
    1 glass of cranberry juice

Dinner: 2 salmon fillet

About 3 litres of water throughout the day.

Thursday 15/12/11:
    Right today I'm back on my game now :cool::cool:

Fitness:

2x 3mile run, 30 mins the first time and 28 the second, so still not back to game quite I think.

100 press-ups, sets of 20

150 sit-ups, sets of 30

I know this is the same as my first post but after the set back of vomiting I shall use this day as the new start. Onto the food:

Breakfast: 3 rashers of fried bacon
    2 fried eggs

Lunch: 2 slices of salami
    1/2 cup of brazil nuts
    1 glass of cranberry juice

Dinner: Garlic grilled steak

About 2 litres of water throughout the day.

Right a new start after an annoying spat of illness. Here we go, destined to fail, but up for it anyway, no more set backs.

And JWT as you can see I have taken into account what you said, though I'm still a small child and don't like my veggies but will fit some in future.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I just want to bump Sampsi's workout log forward.
    I've just noticed it needed mod approval, which I missed, so you guys would not have seen his second post.

Props for getting a log stated Sampsi and sorry for not noticing earlier.

6. John Titchen

I'm looking forward to reading more in this log.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

An easy way of adding more veggies to your diet is to scramble your eggs (or make an omelette) with some chopped veggies. I use tomatoes, onions, peppers and spinach. To make it really easy, buy the packs of frozen, ready chopped veggies that most supermarkets sell, then just fry them (with garlic if you want) and add in the eggs.

8. John Titchen

Good idea.

I think stir fries, curries/spicy dishes, and home made pizzas are excellent ways to gradually introduce textures and tastes to your palette. I throw 'extras' into things like lasagne/moussaka/shepherd's pie to 'hide' extra nutrients.

In moderation pies and crumbles (again home made) are good ways to broaden your fruit intake. I'm not fond of commercial fruit juices as they often tend to have quite a few unhealthy additions - and even without them all that fructose without its fibre isn't all that healthy!

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Agreed! I'm generally against adding fruit juice to a diet to try to get more fruit in, as you say, it's mainly adding more sugar. Homemade (or even good quality shop bought) smoothies are a much better option (but check for added sugar/flavourings). I'm a big fan of frozen veg (fruit and herbs) - it's often better quality than the stuff that's been sitting on the supermarket shelves for days (as it has to be frozen within a fairly short time of being picked), it's easy to use and add to dishes, if your knife skills are crap (and you buy the chopped version), it takes out the added preparation time needed for unchopped items. The downside is that you often get a lot of water off it when cooking it which can make some dishes soggy.

Adding extra veggies to sauces or soups or even ready meals (if you must go that route) is a good way to improve the nutritional value of what you're eating.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Stir fries if the ingredients are chosen well can be eaten the next day.

Chicken, onion, carrot, peas, sweet potato, cauliflower with a little added hoi sin, or sweet chilli sauce can be made in 10 minutes. I find I have made enough for an evening meal with enough left over for work the next day.

You can eat it cold if there is no microwave access. So much better than a sandwich.