Sai training and ideas

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Av1anation, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Av1anation

Av1anation New Member

The sai is a fantastic weapon that can be used for everything to throws to BEING thrown, so it would make sense to learn how to use them correctly and effectively. I've been using the sai for about 5 years but only recently I've really got down to business in my training with it, I've heard of doing 'sai pushups' (which hurt like crap.) And doing 'sai twirls' well, plus all the obvious stuff like flicking them in and out, throwing them and practicing throws with them. However, I'd like to find out more that I can do with them! (Geez what a sai nerd) does anyone know some exercises, control exercises or just experimental 'does this work?'s? I'll try as many as I can and post feedback. (The Bo staff WILL be mentioned st one point or another I realize lol)

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What does your teacher suggest?

The Bo might be mentioned but the Bo staff will only be met with derision.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff
    Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff Bo Staff

For OP, Bo = Staff. So saying "Bo Staff" is really saying "Staff Staff." Which is why it will be met with derision. I encourage continued usage of saying "Bo Staff" to annoy the crap out of people. :D

I told you my experience with Sai in your into thread, so I don't have a ton to offer. However, it would probably be wise to practice using it defensively (it is a defensive weapon). A good way of doing this is flipping it so longer prong is across your forearm and practicing blocking with it like it's a tonfa if you ever do something like Bo vs. Sai practice. It's a whole different game flipping it to that positioning and then being able to use it to block with confidence.

4. Dean Winchester

What's up bloke? Have they cancelled your charmed re-runs?

I've no experience with Sai but trying to block a Bo that way sounds very dangerous.

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

What exactly are you looking for? Traditional training in Okinawan Kobudo, with Kata and Bunkai? Or just fancy stuff?

We train with Sai as part of the kobudo portion of our class. We have probably 7 kata (sai kata, not just an empty hand with the weapon added), and do bunkai and drills with them (kihon drills, plus sai vs empty hand, sai vs bo, and sai vs sword (bokkens used in class). Very versatile weapon.

6. Av1anation

Av1anation New Member

I may as well add, (to avoid further "just ask your sensei, stupid" comments) that none of my senseis really do weapons besides the Bo (staff :p), I'm just really interested in learning sai. I've seen okinawan kobudo videos, and I've practiced the katas but I will more now. And really, the fancy stuff is cool to know to impress people who don't know how to appreciate a proper kata, but I focus mainly on the actual usage of the weapon.

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Did you know that there is a weapon called the cabang in the Indonesian arts that is essentially the same? Perhaps doing some research on that might broaden your horizons.

8. Ero-Sennin

It's a defensive weapon? The prongs are meant to catch things. Also, if you flip the sai in your hand the long prong goes against your forearm which you can use to block. It kind of doubles as a tonfa.

Don't make me poke you in the eye with a Bo Staff. I'm going to charm the end with poison.

Edit: Spell check really, really, really hates the word 'sai.'

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. Dean Winchester

Yeah I get the concept but having been on the receiving end of a good solid Bo I have my doubts at the practicality of trying to block one that way.

10. Ero-Sennin

Well, if your two options are blocking with bare flesh or with a strip of metal . . . . . .

You're generally suppose to step into a strike to block though, so you don't get hit with the full momentum of the weapon. And overhead block was done with a dramatic step forward in the kata I had to do with them.

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Catching a bo strike with a sai is a good way to break your arm and / or lose the sai. Yes, it is probably more enjoyable than doing the same with your bare hands, but you're screwed either way. It's like saying that being run over by a car is better than being run over by a truck.

To the OP, if your sensei don't know weapons, you can't learn weapons. It's that simple. Either you find a sensei who can teach you, or you let go of the idea. That is, unless all you want to do is posture and look cool. In that case you could use some youtube vids and practice in front of a mirror so you can practice the moves and the appropriate facial expression at the same time.

If you want to learn to twirl and impress with them, go ahead. But it won't have anything to do with actually using it as a weapon.
    If someone proposed learning advanced karate kata from a video, what would you say?

12. Dean Winchester

My thoughts exactly.

Nice post.

13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I beg to differ (SLIGHTLY) - One of the problems that people have with Sai is basic handling skills - opening and closing - so if you can do the pretty 'twirly-whirly' stuff, I think that you could then learn (from a teacher who knows) the 'good stuff' - if that's what you wanted - the 'twirly-whirly' stuff is cool and since you can't walk around with Sai - That would be illegal in the UK - they are not a practical weapon - what's the harm :)

14. Dean Winchester

You can develop bad habits even doing that, yes getting familiar with the feel and weight of the weapon is useful but it needs to relate to how it is used.

15. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I'd be curious about this too. Which Indonesian martial arts teach it, and how it is used there?

16. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Pencak Silat has the cabang but "Pencak Silat" is a very generic term like Karate that encompasses many different systems. There is a heavy blade orientation in most systems that I am aware of.

The particular Javanese system I study uses the cabang as a stand alone weapon and also uses it as the short part of a long & short combination. The cabang in Indonesian arts tends to be a bit heavier & bladed than most sai I have seen but older versions of the sai were probably more weaponized than what we see now.