Sahm Gum Hyung

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Jul 9, 2007.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Ok I was told that the 4th degree sword form is actually supposed to be a double long sword hyung, when is the single long sword hyung taught or rather the meditations? And are the movements different than the juhng gum (medium sword length)?

2. Fu_Ling_Yoo

Fu_Ling_Yoo Valued Member

Ive only seen it performed, since I dont know it yet. But to me it seems there is alot more spinning and twisting motions, more body movement than sword movement. So I guess yes there is a difference between the two weapons, the single medium length sword due to its nature can be swung around with just the arms where as the double longs need the entire body to generate the power needed.

3. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I have never heard this. The meditations that I was taught for the double form are just pieces of the form.

4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Of which hyung?

5. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

I didn't even know there were 3 types of sword? I always thought that the normal double sword form you see demoed is known as double long sword form (Jahng Sahng Guhm Hyung).

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Ok here's the thing I think maybe somewhere/time the hyung name was mispronounced because the way Ive always seen it written is like how Airnick wrote it (Jahng Sahng Guhm Hyung) but I'm looking at the korean terminology section in the "Official WKSA Textbook #3" and there is no Jahng, but to continue Sahng means Long or High depending how the object is placed, and it can't be Juhng(straight) Sahng Gum Hyung because there is also a Yuk(reverse) Gum section in the hyung. Now there is a Yahng meaning both or two , so Maybe the name of the hyung is Yahng Sahng Gum Hyung or Ssang (double) Sahng Gum Hyung.

Where is KSN when you need him? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  7. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Mmmm, interesting.

I always thought that Jahng meant Long. Isn't Jahng Bong = long staff? I know that KJN SJS definitely calls the form 'Jahng Sahng Guhm'. A lot of it is down to the romanisation of the Korean I reckon.

Either way, I wish it was still in the 4th - 5th syllabus :(

8. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

So did I, but I've been looking through all of the textbooks(green ones) and the only spelling I see is jang. But anyway who knows. well I know kjn straighten things out for me, so Ill get back to you.

Its not anymore ? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

The double sword form.

10. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

When did that change?

11. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Well ya ok, all the hyungs are, are moving meditations anyway right ? So I guess you could take any piece of any hyung and call it meditation. What I was refereing is when are those techniques taught? And what are they taught as, just double sword or are they long sword meditations, and again when is the single long sword taught?

12. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I was taught at 3rd the meditations for the double sword.

This is the first I've heard that the sword lengths are different for Jang Ssang Guhm and Juhng Guhm, so I don't even know of the existence of a long sword form.

13. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Yeah same here. I don't think they exist to be honest?

As far as the form not being in the 4th dan syllabus, I know that it's still on the testing sheet but as far as I know. It's not being taught till master as of a few years ago. Not sure if this is the same over there in the US though.

14. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

All the new and old fourth degrees I know, have benn taught it or are learning it, so maybe its a UK/Euro thing.

15. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Ok I asked KJN about this yesterday and he said that when trying to translate you always have to go back to the korean letters, not the romanization. Anyway he said its -double "long sword" - Ssang Jang Gum Hyung.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007