Sage Northcutt leaves Tristar Gym because it's too hard?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

His dad is a convicted steroid dealer IIR, and the "looks too good to be true" accusations are flying as well

I think Chadderz was being somewhat TiC, but the rumors have been flying before that

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Oh, so we're just being really cynical about a teenager.

Cool.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

WE are not being anything

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

6. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

The reason he would get adequate attention as compared to GSP is GSP is not currently an active fighter. Sage is.

What Sage is doing was working up until now, I guess time will tell.

7. Combat Sports

Conor also hasn't been truly tested yet.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Chad Mendes is a legit contender in that division.

Before then, I agree, but now I think he has shown he earned that shot at Aldo.

9. Combat Sports

Off the couch anyone doesn't count in my book. Mendez went five hard rounds with Aldo at full tilt, that's what he looks like at his best. Conor didn't get anything resembling his best.

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I had to re-edit based on this snippet - ff to the 2:50 mark for MacDonald's comments on Sage - as MacDonald comes off as someone who shoots straight from the hip - I take it as a picture (albeit a brief one) of how things were

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2iNtx15eG4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2iNtx15eG4[/ame]

Still doesn't answer your question but it's given me reason to rethink how things may've been with Sage at TriStar.

There is a part in the interview where Rory talks about Sage doing "part of his training camp" at TriStar - "3 weeks in November" - given the interview took place in the latter part of Oct, it looks as if the TriStar venture was planned to be for a limited duration from the outset.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I hope he does well.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Reading up on this, it would be unfair to accuse the Son, due to the sins of the Father. But I see where they are going. Novinsky (The UFC drug testing head honcho) has said that there is a "smell" test. Basically what was said before that if the fighter looks a bit too good, then they'll be testing.
    So he may qualify for that.

Bare in mind, he's only had 1 fight with the company, popular from a viral video and his opponent....well, lets just say he wasn't athletically matched well against Sage.

13. belltoller

Outside of Aldo, what would you consider a true test of Conor?

14. Combat Sports

Frankie Edgar. The man who actually earned his title shot.

15. belltoller

Now that would be a good one. No arguments here.

Conor has indicated he'd like to fight Frankie (assuming, of course) as well; which is as good a pre-fight prop for someone as you'll ever see from Conor.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

After watching sages last fight, maybe the lad can't handle pressure after all ...

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Apparently he's now moving back to TriStar full time. His excuses for the loss was a throat infection and lack of sparring partners.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Seemed to be fine in the first round when everything was going his way......
    Certainly needs a coach to help with his ground game and sparring partners to push him and mentally toughen him up by the looks of things

19. Combat Sports

Probably a lot less of his father, and more of his coaches... and good coaches. His Dad shouldn't be telling Firas how to train his son.