Ryukyu Kempo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by hunnysan, Jun 24, 2010.

1. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

I'm pretty sure this question falls under the Kenpo section and not karate, but I could be wrong, if so sorry. I've been training in Labokator for some time but i'm looking to take a karate because I miss the katas and sparring in martial arts. I love traditional martial arts and came across Ryukyu Kempo and I've looked this over and under from all angles and have decided to check it out tonight. What i'm wondering is would this be too different of a style for me to cross train in? As i'm a bit concerned if the two style will affect how I would train in either side?

Labokator is a tradional form of kickboxing, for those not familiar with it. We learn all the old stances, punches, kicks, and weapons, and it is a sort of a crouched fighting stance (as your body should be lower to the ground). Very very different then any style i've ever taken.

:hat:

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Knock yourself out. Hope you're having fun.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Labokator

It's not often I come across a martial art I've never heard of. Today I did. Cheers.

4. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

you're welcome.

And i went to check out the class last week and pretty much liked what I saw. Going again to tonight to try my free class :)

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Ryukyu Kempo is one the old names (old as in pre-1940's) for karate. Perhaps the group you're looking at has a website?

6. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

There's two types of rather different things called 'Ryukyu Kempo'. One of them is an old Okinawan martial art. From what I've seen it looks pretty solid.

The other is the stuff associated with Dillman.

I'd train in the former, but stay away from the latter.

(Also, both bear little resemblance to what is usually called 'Kenpo' or 'Kempo' - that seems to mostly be Ed Parker type stuff, and quite different. Maybe the 'Karate' forum might be more applicable - I'm sure you can get a screen-full on the whole Oyata/Dillman history there using the search. I'd be shocked if there weren't a discussion of it already.)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  7. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

What he said! Stay well away from the latter.

Mike

8. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

here's the website..

http://www.shinkikandojo.com/

Went to my first class and enjoyed it very much...very different then Labokator, but the sensei said my previous experience didn't hinder my training at all..:)