Ryukyu Kempo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by dori_kin_86, Jun 25, 2004.

1. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I was wandering how many people out there train in Ryukyu (Okinawan) Kempo. Please list your rank, school, and city it is located.

I'm 8th kyu or Yellow belt.

I train at the Kempo Karate School in Columbus Mississippi under Tim Derby.

2. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

I am SHODAN in Ryukyu Kempo. May I ask are you in the Dillman linage or Oyata

3. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

Dillman, I believe. My teacher has also studied in Small Circle Ju-jitsu. I plan on going to Japan after high school or college, I will most likely train under Oyata or one of his students (depending on where in Japan I go.) My teacher has a website, but its mostly dedicated to his child safety program.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  4. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

Tiakia Oyata has lived in Missouri for many years. He moved from Okinawa in the mid 1980's.I think you will find that OYATAS teachings are nothing like the DILLMAN concepts. Check out www.ryushu.com there may be a dojo listed near you. Oyatas address is listed under the Missouri listing.

Also check out this book " the weastern bubishi " by rand Caldwell the site is www.combatkyusho.com. Rand is very good and the book is great. The site has some real good articles.

5. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

Darn, I don't wanna move to Missouri, to flat (geologically speaking) I have talked to the Sensei of the Ryushikan in Tokyo in the past on e-budo.com. I still plan on moving to Japan though.

6. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

If your goal on moving to japan is training be careful, there is more politics in the dojo's there than here. If you just want to move there to live the culture thats cool. I personally am not impressed with japanese styles they took the flowing nature out of the arts and added the deep stances and rigid motions. Much of the Okinawian styles are influenced by WHITE CRANE, and the flowing nature of its movements.

If you train the Dillman metheod do not allow anyone to KO you. It is not safe even the so called revive is done all wrong at the DILLMAN seminars I attended. Also keep in mind the light touch KO will not work as intented during any confrontation. The notion that the points only work in one manner is not correct, there are many ways to make use of them. Thde subject of Body Alarm Reaction is really important.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Valued Member

Kempocos -

Have you trained in Japan? Just curious... If so, where?

dori_kin -

The instructor at the Ryushikan Dojo is my friend, Robert Rousselot. He is a direct student of Mr. Oyata. I have trained with him, and can vouch that he is a well-qualified teacher. Be prepared, however... If you aren't accustomed to physical contact during training, you may find his class somewhat more than you bargained for. You won't get beaten, but you'll definitely get hit. He walks the walk, and leaves talking the talk to others.

And it most definitely is different from Dillman's teachings.

As for moving to Japan to train in martial arts... What is your plan for living arrangements, a job, etc.? Do you speak Japanese? These are a few questions you might want to be sure you have worked out before you buy a plane ticket... You could apply to one of several companies that hire foreigners to teach English, but if you don't have a college degree it'll be harder to get hired (you can still do it, though) and you aren't guaranteed the location of your choice.

Just some things to think about...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  8. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I not sure, but I don't think my teacher teaches light touch stuff. The KO things I've learned are proven effective (corner of mouth, solar plexes [i cant spell it right], etc.) My teacher's main sensei was a student of high ranking Okinawan instructor. I think my teacher is only associated with Dillman, not a direct student.

About living in Japan, I plan on going as a high school exchange student to get pluged in to a community, then go back as a college exchange student. I will get a degree in Japanese, also going to learn a trade that would be usefull in Japan. I have a few friends from Japan (one is currently in Tokyo for the summer) They have told me what Tokyo is like. I have also talked to former exchange students to Tokyo. I know better to check around before going. I have even found a church that I want to go to. I have also researched the culture for a couple of years.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I trust by this you are referring to your style of Kempo. My experiences of training in Shorinji Kempo in Japan have all been wonderful.

As for the deep stances and non flowing movements I must again think you are referring to your style of Kempo, as they are not characteristic of Shorinji Kempo, which is a Japanese form of Kempo.

10. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I think kempocos means Japanese Karate. Most older, traditional Okinawan katas have flowing movements. Ryukyu Kempo is Okinawan with Chinese influence. Though, I have heard Goju-ryu Karate-do has more flowing movements. Shorinji-ryu Karate-do (Created by Doshin So's Sensei. Thus you have the title- Shorinji Kempo to pay tribute to So's foundational training) has a lot of flowing movements.

11. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I don’t believe Shorinji Ryu has any association with Shorinji Kempo. Doshin So studied in China under two different masters, although he had studied Jujustu and Kendo before moving to china, and some other styles when he returned. Most of his study was in China, where he lived for nearly two decades. I have added a brief history of Shorinji Kempo’s origins from the Swedish federations web site for those that are interested. The web address is http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/ this will explain the history and the naming of Shorinji Kempo.

Sorry if I have diverged from the threads title, I just didn’t want Shorinji Kempo to be thought of in the manner described. When the generic term of Kempo is used it ties us all together, and some people may not understand the differences.

Shorinjikempo was founded 1947, in the small town of Tadotsu. The founder was a man named Doshin So, but is often referred to as Kaiso, which means founder. Doshin So was born 1911 and spent a large amount of his youth with his paternal grandfather in Manchuria today's Dongbei province in China). His grandfather was also famous for his Budo, especially Kendo, Sojutsu (spearmanship) and Jujutsu. Doshin's grandfather taught him in martial art as often as he had time. When Doshin was young he worked, from 1928 up to 1946 in some rounds, for the Japanese army in China. He travelled under cover as a monk together with a teacher named Chen Liang. This was the first contact with Buddhism for Doshin. Master Chen was also a teacher in Chinese martial arts and Doshin learned techniques from Master Chen as soon as it was time. Later Doshin came in contact with Master Chens teacher, the famous Wen Taizong. Master Wen had in his youth been a monk in the Shaolin temple. With Master Chen's introduction, Doshin got the possibility to become a direct pupil of Master Wen. During the fall of 1936, at a ceremony at the Shaolin temple, Doshin received recognition of master of the 21st generation in the Northern Shaolin Giwamon Ken. After that he had lived on both sides of occupation, the Japanese occupation in China and the under the Soviet occupation of China, Doshin realised that it is not the nationality of a person that determines what type of person somebody is, but rather the quality of the individual. After his experiences in China during the war, Doshin So felt that he wanted to teach his thoughts of the Way. He had come to the conclusion that the teaching that was most proper teaching on how to live your life was no other then the philosophy that Buddha had preached. But Doshin So was very critical to the way that Buddhism was taught in Japan at this time. It centred more on performing ceremonies and chanting sutras, and get money from the people for performing these services. Doshin So believed that there was not a single Buddhist group or organisation at this time, that taught Buddhism in according to its original purpose. He believed that the teaching of Buddha contained something that could give people both mental and physical peace. He wanted to teach people in this as he was convinced that it would help them. But to get people to come and listen to his lectures wasn't easy. The few that came didn't stay for long. Kaiso realised that he must have something that could catch the people's interest. This was something that he thought of for a long time. One night he had a dream, he saw a bearded Daruma who said something to him and then rapidly went away. Doshin So tried to follow after him, but his leg was somehow to heavy to move and he shouted; "Wait!", but Daruma disappeared. After he thought about what this dream really meant, suddenly Kaiso knew the answer. After he thought about what this dream really meant, suddenly Kaiso knew the answer. He should teach martial arts, just as Daruma had done in the Shaolin temple in China. He organised the different techniques he had learnt to a system and taught it together with his philosophy. This was the beginning of Shorinjikempo. 1950 Shorinjikempo was established as a religious organisation. One reason for this was that the American occupation rulings had forbidden anything that had any connection to Bushido after the war, but Shorinjikempo had also always been taught with philosophical aims. In 1951 the organisation got an official recognition as the religious corporation Kongo Zen Sohonzan Shorinji. During the 50s the organisation started to spread and grow stronger, one started to have public demonstrations and Embu Taikai. During the 60s Shorinjikempo appeared in national TV in different contexts. This made a significant increase in the popularity of Shorinjikempo. In 1963 the Shadan Hojin Nihon Shorinjikempo Renmei (the Japanese Shorinjikempo Federation Corporation) was established, which today officially is Zaidan Hojin Shorinjikempo Renmei (Shorinjikempo Federation Foundation). 1974 the Shorinjikempo Sekai Rengo (World Shorinjikempo Organization) was established, in order to bind together federations for the various nations to which Shorinjikempo had spread. 1980 Doshin died and his, at the time 24-year-old daughter Yuuki took over the leadership in the organisation. Today Shorinjikempo have spread to 27 countries outside of Japan, and continues to, slowly but steadily, grow.

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Valued Member

Proven how, exactly? Please don't say that you are taking your teacher's word for things... Question authority, question everything you are taught. Until you do it yourself, you can't do it at all.

Who is your teacher's teacher? It would be a good thing for you to know such things, especially if you plan on going to a dojo in Japan. Sometimes, not always mind you but sometimes, you are required to have a letter from your teacher in order for a teacher to accept you into his/her dojo.

I wasn't aware that Japanese high schools were in the habit of importing foreign students... Unless you already speak Japanese, you'll find it quite a hard go attempting to attend school in Japan (their classes aren't bilingual, you see...).

Not a very useful degree, and one that will still require you to speak and read Japanese prior to attending university. As for learning a trade that is useful in Japan, please understand that foreigners aren't hired for the best jobs... I'm sure a construction company could find use for you, but many of my American friends who are living and working and Japan assure me that better jobs aren't exactly easy to find...

Researching the culture won't prepare you whatsoever. You'd be better off simply going and allowing the innate courteous nature of your hosts to gloss over your mistakes as a non-Japanese until you learn enough to conduct yourself better.

Just some thoughts from someone who has lived and trained there...

13. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

Sorry to reply so late, To address some questions on my comments.

I have not trained in Japan, I have trained under folks who have so my opinions on the politics come from that. The comment about needing a letter from your teacher is along the lines of my statement. The need to see why they should train you.

In reagrds to my opinons of Japanese styles I am refering to SHOTOKAN, WADO RYU, ****O RYU. Karate styles that are very linear with low stances. The Ryukyu kempo I use comes from two influences one is Al Geraldi a senior student of Oyatas who trained with Taika Oyata in Okinawa and the US once he moved. During this time Oyata would come to our DOJO and teach seminars. The other is in the Dragon Society of Tom Muncy/ Rick Moneymaker. It is flowing and relies on circular movements. Much in the lines of Small Circle JuJitsu

Aside from the Kempo I have trained in ISSHINRYU, KOBE JUJITSU, AKIDO, SHORINRYU. I will state that I found OYATA to offer the best training for my needs. I only wish I lived near a RYU TE school, but we do what we can. To keep training is the key.

I must agree with question ALL techniques and never rely on a teacher saying " Just do *this* it will have *this* effect ". The techniques must work when YOU do them not someone else.

14. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I thank you people for stealling the thread :). I do thank you for opening my eyes a little bit more. Japan is still a sight in my future, and I know more than I would have if I didn't post.

My teacher's teacher's sensei was Hohan Soken (just remembered his name)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004